Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 13 of 31)

Mar 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

I didn't realize this was an issue for other Explorer owners until I read it here!

I too thought something must have hit my car & cracked that piece of plastic. I was forever blaming my husband for it!! SORRY HUNNY!!

Oddly enough, we first saw the "Y" shaped crack in the spring, over the summer it seemed to disappear, then in the winter it looked like the grand canyon!! Has anyone else noticed that??

I think its absolutely ridiculous that something as simple as this hasn't been fixed by Ford. Talk about not caring to save face! Well thats fine with me. This coupled with the transmission problems I've been having, I'll NEVER buy another Ford again for as long as I live!! I wouldn't even take one if you GAVE it to me!

- , Binbrook, Ontario, Canada

Jul 162007

Explorer Limited

Last summer I noticed a 6 inch long gash below the rear window, thin, almost as if it was etched. It is a deep crack, confirmed by my body shop. Ford seems to have an excuse for everything, and now I'm out of warranty and seemingly out of luck. The body and paint on this car has given me multiple problems, from paint chipping to the panels fading/cracking and now this rear panel cracking.

- , Broomall, PA, USA

Jan 092006

Explorer XLT

It is quite amazing how Ford continues to maintain the same position. How can you issue a bulletin for the repair of a defective part, but not acknowledge any liability for its repair? This is blatant corporate arrogance.

You have the gall to assert customer satisfaction is one of your most important objectives. This of course is second only to Quality is Job One... right?

I will post your response at the following site. shtm

----- Original Message ----- From: To: RMalave Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 5:38 PM Subject: Ford Motor Company

Dear Ruben,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding your inquiry towards a defective part on your vehicle.

The circumstances that you have outlined in your original e-mail have been given careful consideration. Our records indicate that you contacted the Ford Customer Relationship Center via phone and our Customer Service Representative addressed your vehicle concern. If any new information regarding this matter should become available in the future, please let us know. However, at this time our decision remains the same.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely, Phil Customer Relationship Center Ford Motor Company

- , Marlboro, NJ, USA

Oct 122004

Explorer 4.6L

We were going down the highway and half of the piece of plastic under the rear window just FLEW OFF and hit the car behind us!!!!! This could have gone through her window and decapitated this poor woman!!! I hate this stupid POS. Just one of the MANY problems we've had.

- , Severna Park, MD, USA

Nov 262007

Explorer XLT V6

Same issue as the rest, the gap is from top to bottom of the panel and the gap is pretty wide. Seems there was a lot of tension on it.

Q: Can someone confirm if there is truly a risk that the panel could fly off?

Actions I will take:

1) file complaint with Ford - 800-392-3673 - done. The benefit here is when the Fed comes to them and asks "how many complaints" they by law must disclose. So call in, it takes a minute, and for now, expect to go no where, but it is documented.

2) Advertising - I did not know this site existed until I googled it. I am thinking a well placed bumper sticker on the offending cracked panel with "Got Crack?" and an arrow to the crack. Sufficiently controversial for people to look and help others like us find our place here. More importantly, it will look great when it goes into the local Ford Dealer for servicing. Just think of all the off lease Explorers they have to sell. You can order bumper stickers off the web, or perhaps print your own off your inkjet? (Avery label number 8255 is a permanent sticker you can likely order from your office supply store and make your own) Perhaps you only really need it on the day the truck goes in for service, if it is that ugly.

3) Report to Fed - which entity accepts these types of complaints? It does not seem to be So where?

It all about Documentation and Pressure, especially when it impact's Ford sales.

- , Fairfield, CT, USA

Jan 032007

Explorer LX V6

I’m still blown away that Ford didn’t do anything to fix this problem. Talk about horrible costumer service. It looks terrible. I have personally seen 6 other Explorers on the road with this problem.

- , Roanoke, VA, USA

Sep 152009

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Found one other vehicle like ours with the same complaint. Called ford and they refused to pay for it. Had to pay for it with my own money.

- , Cloverdale, IN, USA

Mar 292009

Explorer Limted V8 (4.6L)

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

Couldn't believe this many people have complained and it hasn't been addressed - noticed mine when offloading from a fairy ride, thought something must have hit/or twisted it - was small at first now significant - worried about effects of impending winter.

- , Vancouver, WA, USA

Jul 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Panel below the rear window cracked all the way from top to bottom from normal driving conditions. From what I've read this is not an isolated occurrence, a lot of people have found this crack appear on it's own. I haven't bothered to get a quote to see how much a new panel would cost because I'm sure it's more than I'm going to pay for some cosmetic crack.

- , North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Jan 122009

Explorer XLT 4.0L

After reading the boards here it's obvious Ford has a problem. I had no crack, took my SUV in to be repaired with the hinge recall and less than a year later I had a small crack, top to bottom in that panel. Now it's wider and a real eye sore. This is annoying as I take perfect care of the vehicle and was hoping to have it a long time. Looks like Toyota might get my business next time.

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 242008

The back panel under the read window on my truck is cracked in 3 places. The Ford Dealership in Woodbury, NJ, informed us it would cost $450.00 to fix. B.S. - Ford should be recalling this, I see alot of 2002 Ford Explorers with the rear panel CRACKED!! This is Extremely frustrating since the SUVS cost alot. What I don't want is another piece of CRAP-American Made CAR. What a shame our country's automobile industry can't produce a good vehicle. (i found chevy's to be the same with their interior)

- , Woodbury, NJ, USA

Jan 022008

Explorer XLS 4.0L

When I first noticed this it started out as small vertical scratches. I almost confronted my neighbor about this because I suspected vandalism. I'm glad I did not. I started noticing other Explorers with the same problem. I'm going to make a complaint to Ford in the am.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 042008

Explorer XLT

Well, add my name to the list of Un Happy Ford Customers! I also have the crack under the rear window. I was un-sure what happened until I noticed the other 2002 Explorers in the state of Michigan also have the same crack in the same place! I am so ANGRY I just may print all of these complaints and send them off to Fords! I would think in todays economy Fords would want to keep their customers happy? I guess I thought wrong!!

- , Livonia, MI, USA

May 232005

Explorer XLS 4.0L

At first it started as a minor crack, I had bought the car at a ford dealership at night and didn't see it, after several months is grew until it cracked the panel, then another started.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Sep 202008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Panel under glass rear window developed a crack. For no apparent reason the panel split vertically right above, below and under the blue FORD elliptical logo. This is about the 10th problem with this Ford 2002 Exlporer, here is the list: 1) Transmission rebuilt due to slipping / clunking 2) Both front wheel hubs were replaced due to a lot of steering wheel vibration 3,4) Rear AC mixer door (flapper) was replaced at 35,000 miles and again at 70,000. 5) Factory or dealer fitted Chapman alarm, prevents vehicle from starting (ongoing prob) 6) Emissions test failed due to exhaust sensor issue 7) Serpentine belt squealing from about 50,000 miles 8) Rear window lift cyclinder broke free from mounting (after recall upgrade was installed). 9) Black panels between side windows and rear quarters were replaced due to fading / flaky appearnance.

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 182008

I called the dealership and was told that it has happened before to other vehicles of the same year, make and model and that to fix the problem it would be around $473.00. I have seen two other explorers of same color (red) that had the same problem. The split I have is about 2 inches from the ford oval on the right. It extends from the window to the bottom of the panel.

- , Orange, TX, USA

Sep 072007

Explorer EB 4.0L

Same thing. Started as one crack vertically, now it is traveling horizontally the length of the window and getting longer, wider and uglier. I am surprised Ford is not acknowledging this as THEIR issue. This is my 4th explorer and this clearly happened after a cold snap we had here but now the start of summer has made it worse. If someone has any info of were I can complain to Ford let me know.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 102009

Explorer Limited V6

- , Lebanon, NJ, USA

Jan 182009

Explorer XLT V6

OUrs has 2 cracks, 1 running horizontally & 1 vertically. It happened a few months ago, and I think it was caused by the cold. I'm worried it'll get worse as the summer heats up, so I'm going to get it repaired. Nice to know Ford is so responsive to customers. No wonder the US car industry is in such trouble. I'll update once i settle on a COA.

- , Lexington Park, MD, USA

Sep 012008

Explorer LX V6

Panel cracked, Hatch does not latch properly. Ford couldn't care less.

- , Park Ridge, IL, USA