6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 14 of 31)

Sep 012008

Explorer LX V6

Panel cracked, Hatch does not latch properly. Ford couldn't care less.

- , Park Ridge, IL, USA

Dec 142008

Explorer XLT

I am afraid to open the back as I don't want to loosen the seal on the window for fear it will fall out!!!

- , Lower Burrell, PA, USA

Apr 092009

Explorer Limited V8

WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FORD PEOPLE, WE HAVE OWNED A TOTAL OF 13 FORDS OF WHICH WE STILL HAVE 5. WE HAVE NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH, UNTIL NOW I WAS SO HAPPY TO GET MY DREAM CAR MY 2002 EXPLORER LIMITED. I TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF MY CARS INSIDE AND OUT SERVICING EVERY 3000 MILES IT HURTS TO SEE NOT ONLY THE CRACK PANEL UNDER THE BACK WINDOW BUT PART OF IT FALL OF. I CALLED FORD LIKE MANY OF YOU I WAS TOLD PRETTY MUCH THAT I SOL THE REPAIR WAS ON ME. I LIKE MANY OF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY FOR THE REPAIR. THIS IS MAKING ME RETHINK BUYING ANY MORE FORD CARS

- , Las Vegas, NM, USA

Oct 172006

Explorer XL V6

This is obviously a factor defect with seeing so many complaints as well as seeing it on so many other explores

- , Yorba Linda, ca, USA

Feb 082007

Explorer 4.0L

I OWN A FORD 2002 EXPLORER, AFTER HAVING PROBLEMS WITH USED CARS I MADE THE CHOOSE TO BUY A NEW CAR. I LOVE MY CAR UNTIL THE PEOPLE WHICH BUILT IT WILL NOT FIX A CRACK PANEL. I HAVE HAD NO CRASH, REALLY DON'T OPEN IT. MY HOBBY IS MUSIC AND PLANNED TO KEEP MY EXPLORER AND AID SPEAKER, IPOD, STEREO AND SUB WOOFERS. THEN I NOTICE A CRACK IN THE PANEL AND CALLED FOR HELP. I CALLED 1-800-392-3673 AND WAS TOLD IT COULD HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY A RECALL ON 2002 FORD EXPLORERS. I WAS SENT TO THE DEALER SHIP AND DEALERSHIP SAYS THAT THEY HAVE 2 OF THESE PROBLEMS A WEEK. I WENT HOME AND CALLED THE NUMBER AND WAS TOLD I WOULD BE CALLED BACK IN A COUPLE OF DAYS. I WAS LEFT A MESSAGE AND CALLED THEM BACK THAT NEXT MONDAY AND WAS SPOKEN VERY BAD AND TOLD WHERE NOT FIXING THIS BECAUSE ITS NOT CAUSED BY THE RECALL, DEFECT AND OVER 75,000 OR NO EXTEND WARRANTY. I THOUGHT THERE WAS A DIFFERENCE IN ENGINE AND BODY WARRANTY. NOW I KNOW NOW HOW A TENNIS BALL FELLS AND FORD WILL NEVER HAVE ME AS A CUSTOMER FOR 5 YEARS AGAIN.

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

Feb 082007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

cracked panel below rear window, same as everyone else. called ford customer service, they said get estimate ($302.89)at local ford dealer and call customer service back. I did so. but, like 99% of you I'm sol. Not sure if i would buy another ford again. too bad. By the way FORD, your customers are not made of $. It's a real eye sore, not what I would consider good advertising for FORD. Extremely unhappy in Schenectady NY

- , Schenectady, NY, USA

Dec 222006

Explorer XLS V6

I'm so relieved to have discovered this website! I just noticed this problem on my Explorer and, because it is one of many, I'm fed up! I have two cracks under the rear window on either side of the Ford logo. Haven't had it checked out with the dealer yet but I will. I felt so much better when I discovered that others have had this problem too. My Explorer overall has been one thing after another. But this issue in particular needs to be fixed by Ford. I wonder if anyone from the Ford Motor Co. monitors sites like these. I figure the more people who enter complaints the better!

- , El Cajon, CA, USA

Dec 222006

Explorer LX 4.2L

2002 ford explorer 40,000 miles just noticed large crack under rear window. My son works at a body shop and says there has been many complaints of this defect.

- , Pipersville, PA, USA

Dec 242006

Explorer Limited 4.0L

After reading all complaints already logged for this problem I feel this will be my 4th and last Ford explorer, if Ford doesn't step up to the plate. Dealer says $600.00 to replace, so it will happen again---I don, t think so!

- , Swansea, IL, USA

Mar 222007

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

I started developing a crack on the rear panel beneath the window about a year after purchase. It started slow, but was progressive and has now gone through the entire panel. I guess the stress has been relieved by the crack. This was poor workmanship on Ford's part. Ford should go ahead and recall the panel, just make a bunch up in the most popular colors (others available for something like a dollar). I would tolerate a slight variance in paint color vs. the stupid crack. I always figured it was my own car until I started seeing them. This will probably be as common as the sagging rear bumper on prior models.

- , Sykesville, MD, USA

Apr 032007

Explorer

I like many others have a large crack in the back of my 2002 Ford Explorer. It is next to the right of the emblem and spans all the way through the shell from glass to top hatch opening. This happened a couple weeks ago and I have been watching for other explorers and am starting to see more of this.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Apr 042007

Explorer XLT

About a month ago my wife thought something hit the roof. It was actually the sound of the panel splitting from top to bottom.

I sent an email to Ford, but they pretended not to know what the problem was. They want me to send pictures. Judging from previous complaints, Ford will probably reply with "the out of warranty defense".

I have notice since, several Explorers and Mountaineers with the same damage. There is no doubt this is a Ford flaw and they should be responsible.

- , Allen, TX, USA

Mar 222007

Explorer V8

Crack in the plastic panel below the lift window cracked during cold weather. I first noticed the crack while the vehicle was parked in our attached garage. Have taken the vehicle to a Ford dealer and will check on wararnty coverage and repair costs.

- , Amboy, IN, USA

Feb 292008

Explorer V6

I love my Explorer. I rolled my last one and, YES I GOT ANOTHER ONE.. It has a crack under the back window on the back hatch. I am very disappointed. I can't afford to have it fixed and it is very noticeable. I have seen several just in my home town that have the same crack. I think Ford should recall this problem.

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Apr 022009

Explorer XLT V6 4.0L

I can't believe this isn't a recall. I have seen this so many times, I almost thought that Ford Intentionally had them split like that. But no.... it's a crack, they all have it in the same rough area. Sadly, mine isn't centered properly, its about 2/3 inches off center, so it looks pretty harsh.

- , Vancouver, WA, USA

Sep 012006

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

I too thought the damage was caused by being hit by something. All you have to do is look around, same crack in all explorers.

- , Wilmington, MA, USA

Mar 012008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Got the vehicle from my brother-in-law. He said this website is crawling with people complaining about this. It is a Ford problem, but they are just being schmucks and won't stand behind their product.

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

Feb 142009

Explorer 4.6L V8

This crack was already in the vehicle when I bought it second-hand, but when I researched it on the net and discovered that EVERY 2002 FORD EXPLORER apparently has the same problem AND Ford won't recall or fix it, I was stunned. How can the many and varied faults of this vehicle go unchecked.

Ford, you need to have a good look at yourself. This is my first Ford and most likely MY LAST!

- , Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Feb 062009

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

As the problem for many Explorer drivers, the panel is cracked. Repair cost is high. Ford should recall on this.

- , Urbandale, IA, USA

Mar 022009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

The adhesive part is also a pain in the ass. What is the best adhesive to use so this panel stays on ? This is the second time I replaced this piece. There are three other fords where I work and all have the same crack on the rear panel. All except one are 2002 explorers the other is a mountaineer.

Ford won't stand by their product. My next truck will be a Toyota.

- , NEwton, MA, USA