6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 18 of 31)

Jul 052007

Explorer XLS 3.2L V6

I too along with having to replace the transmission this week and not having working reverse lights have a completely cracked back panel. I live in central Texas and it just seems that within the last year, that back panel is cracked from the right to the left side of the vehicle. After dropping as much as I am for my EGR censor (sp), and fixing my reverse light problem (that isn't fuse related)... along with my lovely 2k transmission job... I believe I'll live with this and the lovely clear coat missing on plastic pieces and the rusting luggage rack.

- , College Station, TX, USA

Nov 242006

Explorer XLT V6

I'm so glad that I found this site. I was really really annoyed when I found the first crack on my truck. And then a year later...I got another crack. When I tried taking it in they told me it would be $450 to fix. Hell if I was paying $450 for it to happen again. And sure enough a year later approx 14 inches from the other crack, we got another. I called Ford and bitched many many times and they never did a dang thing. Nothing like getting a nice vehicle and then it looking like sh*t, because of nothing you did.

- , Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Sep 212004

Explorer

Ford should step up and have this fix. The Ford place I took my Explorer told me it happens when it gets cold. They also told me they wouldn't fix it unless I paid for it. It's a defect Ford should take care of it. I won't buy another one.

- , Kannapolis, NC, USA

Feb 022006

Explorer XLS V6

Add me to the list with the crack tail gate below the window,,i will never again buy an american car again,,best car i ever owned was a 1994 Maxima which i bought new and put over 200,000 miles on changed the timing chain once around 100,000 which was my option plus the car got 30 miles per gallon on the road,,,,"Ford Never Again"

- , Feasterville, PA, USA

Feb 062008

Explorer XLT V6

1st time mechanic played stupid and said never seen that happen before. This time same dealership but different mechanic tells me oh never heard of it happening a 2nd time and you will have to pay for the whole repair yourself this time your extended warranty won't cover it.

- , Stillwater, OK, USA

May 182006

Explorer XLT V6

They need to recognize the problem and either dish money out for each time it happens or fix it for free each time.

- , Stillwater, OK, USA

Sep 202007

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Car was sent to dealer for recall for rear door hinge. After a month or so notice the crack in the black panel below window and later the door ajar light keeps coming on and the interior lights start blinking while driving. Very annoying. Should not have brought it to dealer for recall.

- , Mandeville, LA, USA

May 092008

Explorer LX

I called The Ford Company to make a complaint and they informed me since it was a small amount of people it was not consider a defect.

- , Orange, NJ, USA

Dec 262007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I have seen dozens of Ford Explorers with the same cracked panel below the rear window. This is a defect that Ford should pay for.

- , South Lyon, MI, USA

Dec 172004

Explorer

The tailgate has split under the window. This is requiring body shop work.

- , Oviedo, FL, USA

Jan 252008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Thought this may be an isolated event but apparently not. All of sudden the crack appeared for no reason. Noticed another Explorer with the same type crack the other day while driving to work. Hello Ford, do you not care about repeat customers. Appreciate the hinge recall; how about the same on this part too. P.S. Transmission failed this month. What's next? Goodbye to this person being a repeat customer Ford.

- , Alabaster, AL, USA

Mar 122008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Well as i was also told by the dealer I had bought it from, they had replaced once they got it off a trade in...it as I bought the car pre-used...So this is the second time it happened in the life of the car, and as I recall i noticed it after a cold night, as I was afraid it was going to happen from known instances....One of my friends also has the same problem, but doesn't have the time or money to have it fixed...its just an inconvenience as well as looks bad...

- , Spencer, MA, USA

Apr 222008

Explorer LTD 4.0L V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6Automatic transmission 46,000 miles

This problem is possibly due to the original recall for the hinges. The tailgate closes but has regularly signaled a double beep as if there was a door ajar. I just barely noticed the crack and haven't tried to see if the dealer or Ford will repair it at their cost. This is the forth Ford product that I've bought new from my Ford dealer I hope they will make it good. If a new Ford Vehicle is their recommendation well can you say "Body by Fisher" as in Chevrolet. I saw a number for a Ford staffer named Lynn Buckman 313-845-6232, maybe I'll check with her to see if anything has changed Ford's position on this problem. Starting a class action lawsuit may not be a bad idea as someone suggested. I agree that their is enough evidence that would point to a defective part. What a bummer. My explorer looks new and with 46K miles is hardly used up and abused.

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Apr 162008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

This problem is possibly due to the original recall that epoxied the hinges. The tailgate did not have correct closure since that date slightly skewed. This led to the torsional loading of the tailgate which put mechanical stress on the part. After awhile the stresses built up until the plastic part failed. I first tried to get the local Ford dealership to fix this problem, they would not. I then voiced my complaint to Ford Customer Service through their website, they suggested that I look for a new Ford Vehicle and would not repair it either. I then sent a return email and copied several Corporate officials. I received a call from a Ford staffer named Lynn Buckman 313-845-6232. Call her daily she would appreciate hearing from other people who have this issue. She said they would look into it . They have since told me that there is nothing they will do for me. Not only does this make no sense as they are struggling to get customers they are running off those who have purchased their vehicles. I am interested in starting a class action lawsuit. I believe we could show enough evidence that would point to a defective part.

- , Hendersonville, TN, USA

Dec 272007

Explorer XLT V6

Crack just appeared one morning, after a cold night. If this is a common problem, as it appears, then Ford needs to take care of this.

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jun 012005

Explorer XS V6

I've seen a lot of Fords with this problem. I am a ford person. I am usually satisfied but I've owned a 2000 and a 2002 and both have had problems. Looking pretty bad on ford products.

- , Charleston, WV, USA

Jan 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Yet another complaint. I came online today to see if this is a recall! What a shock to see so many people with the same problem we have. I've never bought a Ford prior to this one and let me say for the record I never will again!

I cannot absorb the expense of this repair at this time and feel upset everytime I get into this vehicle looking this way. I take meticulous care of my vehicles and feel it's such a shame Ford cannot stand behind it's consumer to fix a problem such as this one!

Thank you to every other victim of Ford's neglect for writing in! It would be great if we could do something about this!

- , Auburn, NH, USA

Jul 202006

Explorer LE

Suggestions on how to fix? Does anyone know how that panels held onto the window? Double sided tape

- , Meriden, CT, USA

Mar 042008

Explorer XLT 4.6L

What really bites is that I have spent alot of money on a custom paint job & pin stripping And now I have a big crack in the back.

- , Olney, IL, USA

Apr 052006

Explorer XLT V6

What the F*** is wrong with FORD, they use to be so great about service and taking care of there loyal customers, now they won't fix an obvious defect that probably 50% of their explorers have, most people here as well as I probably won't buy another vehicle from a company that won't stand behind their product. Sorry FORD but it's your fault, no wonder your stock price is $7.00, I guess it's time to look at Chevy's or Japanese trucks. Thanks for nothing FORD!!!

- , Tucson, AZ, USA