6.5

1. Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
  3. paid to have rear panel replaced (47 reports)
  4. file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
  5. start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (16 reports)
  6. dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 21 of 31)

May 212007

Explorer

Same problem as everyone else. Thought you might be interested in Ford's response to this. Sounds like Alfred E. Newman with "What, me worry?"

And Ford wonders why people aren't buying their cars and SUV's anymore. Here is their response.

"Dear Jim,

We have reviewed your situation, and there are no warranties, recalls or customer satisfaction programs on your vehicle that would provide assistance for this repair.

On the other hand, your vehicle is involved in a customer satisfaction program. Please contact your Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealership right away to schedule an appointment to complete the work.

Vehicle Identification Number: 1FMD............. Program Number: 02M01 Part Name: tube-mounted EGR Pressure Sensor

Sincerely, Al Customer Relationship Center Ford Motor Company

For online support visit us at: www.customersaskford.com which contains answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service information."

Notice "Al" did not give his last name. Maybe it's Newman. If you want to tell "Al" what you think, you can email "Al" at crcfmc@ford.com. Strange it does not match any of "Al's" initials, even though he only gave me 1. Oh, I guess "crcfmc" stands for "Customer Response Center Ford Motor Company". No, it couldn't mean that, they have no valid response for an obvious factory defect that they refuse to acknowledge. Give "Al" a shot, and see if you can do any better than me......

- , Wellington, FL, USA

Jan 172008

Explorer XLT V6

I have had this car for 5 years! Couldn't believe it when I went to get groceries out of the back. There was a long crack on the right side of the car extending from the window all the way down the rear. At first I thought someone hit me, but there were no marks. I was so mad. We had a very cold week, so I thought maybe it was something to do with that. By luck, got on the internet to see if anyone had an idea about this. Could not believe the amount of complaints with people who had very similar stories. Talked to the local Ford dealership and she said that she had heard of some cases like this, but there was not a recall on it. What no recall! Look at all of these complaints. Ford should help pay for this. This is not a cheap fix. Close to $400. I am going to complain to Ford some more. This just doesn't seem right, if everyone is having this problem.

- , Wilmingto, NC, USA

Jan 202008

Explorer XLT V6

I noticed the rear panel crack yesterday morning as I was loading up my golf clubs. I ran some web searches today to investigate and cannot believe how many other complaints there are on this 2002 Explorer model. Aside from the reported rear panel cracks, there are so many other complaints.

I'm going to get rid of this car ASAP before it completely falls apart on me. This is the last time I ever buy an American made car. I can see why Toyota and Honda lead the world in sales.

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 172008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Yet another Ford Explorer with this issue. When will Ford wake up and realize that this is a design flaw? I have yet to go to my dealership, but based on comments here, it will be a waste of time unless I cough up several hundred $$'s. The time is now for a class action law suit to force Ford into doing what any good company would do under the circumstances. Is it any wonder that Ford is going down the toilet ??? I've owned a number of Ford's, but my next purchase will most definitely NOT be a Ford!

- , Littleton, CO, USA

Jan 202008

Explorer XLT V6

I noticed the crack when I went outside to drive my other vehicle. Maybe it's the cold weather that caused it to crack...it's been -20F here in northern Wisconsin lately...but hey, we always get a stretch of extreme cold. The vehicle hasn't been driven in 3 days, nor have the doors or back window been opened, so it can't be anything to do with movement in this cold weather. It was just cracked. Frustrating.

- , Superior, WI, USA

Jul 182007

Explorer V6

I can't believe Ford didn't issue a recall for the back tailgate panel. I'm not sure what happens when the thing cracks from top to bottom. does it fall off?

- , Buda, TX, USA

Jan 182007

Explorer XLT V6

My 2002 Ford explorer has not 1 but 2 cracks on the plastic molding below rear window.Ford needs to do something about this.

- , Stuarts Draft, VA, USA

Jan 112008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT FORD HAS RECALLED AND FIX THE PROBLEM WITH THE LIFTGATE PLASTIC PANEL CRACKING. I CUT MY HAND ON IT IN THE DARK AND HAD TO TAPE IT UP SO MY CHILDREN WON'T GET HURT. I CALLED MY DEALER AND ALSO PUT IN A COMPLAINT TO FORD'S CUSTOMER SERVICE AFTER THEY BOTH SAID THEY WOULDN'T COVER IT. I TOLD THEM I HAVE BEEN BUYING FORDS FOR YEARS, AND THEY CAN TELL THAT I HAVE, BUT STILL THEY DON'T SEEM TO CARE. IF THEY DON'T RECALL AND FIX THIS PROBLEM BY SPRING AND I HAVE TO PAY TO FIX IT WE WON'T BE BUYING THAT NEW FORD IN THE SPRING. I WILL BE SWITCHING TO SOME OTHER CAR MAKER. CAN SOMEONE SEND ME THE NTSB ADDRESS TO FILE A COMPLAINT, MAYBE WHEN THEY KNOW PEOPLE ARE GETTING CUT BY THESE CRACKED PANELS THEY WILL HAVE TO RECALL THEM.THANKS AND GOOD LOOK TO ALL. "GO PAT'S"

- , Boylston, MA, USA

Jan 042007

Explorer XLT 4.0L

This happened the first time it got really cold last year. When it is hot outside, the plastic expands and you can hardly see it. I have researched, and there are no recalls, and I refuse to pay and have it fixed. Luckily, I have had no paint issues, just the crack.

I feel it is amazing how Ford can just ignore this problem and act as though it does not exist. I have had several conversations with strangers and their explorers with the exact same issue and they all feel the same as me. IRATE!!!

- , Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Jan 122008

Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition V8

Just purchased the car a few months ago from a local dealer. Got up today did some running around and later that day went to open the back door and noticed a crack in the panel. The panel right above the glass window, the crack is a 1/8 of a inch all the way down. Come to find out that this is a ongoing problem that many owners are battling. This is not an inexpensive fix it cost hundreds of dollars to repair or replace. We just made are second payment on the car and have a five year loan. We don't know what to expect next that could go wrong. This should be a repair that should be paid for through the manufacturer of the car since this is nothing we've done, it's a defect.

- , Hobart, IN, USA

Jan 042008

Explorer Limited V8

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the crack yesterday. I looked for malicious damage marks but could find none. I have not yet pursued getting it fixed by Ford yet but definitely plan to start tomorrow (1/8/08). This is the first problem I have had with the vehicle. It has been a very solid SUV for me with no other complaints. I bought it used (19,000 miles) and pull a boat and camper with it(it has the towing package).

- , Crossville, TN, USA

Feb 082007

Explorer V6

The crack occurred last winter and was probably caused by the cold and should be repaired by Ford since its clearly a defect.

- , Portland,, OR, USA

Jan 012004

Explorer XLT

When we bought this used vehicle we thought this crack was from previous owner neglect. But after reading the long list of the same problem i think its time for ford to buck up and admit its their problem.

- , Hudson, WI, USA

Jun 132007

Explorer ES 6.0L

I has seen 5 other explorer with the same problem. Ford should pay for cars to be fixed

- , Mt Holly, NJ, USA

Jan 032008

Explorer

Plastic panel below rear window cracked for no good reason. Night before no crack, next morning found crack of about 1/8" to 1/4" all the way through plastic from top to bottom near FORD logo. Yes, It was cold that night. If it's true that the glass is glued to the plastic, one would think the expanding and contracting due to weather changes is the cause. I have not taken it in to be fixed yet and probably will not fix it if I have to pay for it. I will just advertise on the back of my suv, like someone suggested: FORD'S FAMOUS BUTT CRACK!!

- , Simpsonville, SC, USA

Nov 182007

Explorer

Noticed a small crack in the rear panel of my Explorer in November of 2007. Since November this crack has grown into a full length panel crack. This occurred by no fault of mine. After finding this site and reading all these complaints, I would like to know why Ford has not had a recall. Obviously, this has to be a factory default!

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 072008

Explorer LT V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

Rear hatch broken at 58,000 miles, no wrecks or bumps, (accident free), bought new in Oct. 2001.

- , Clintwood, VA, USA

Jan 072008

Explorer V8

I'm glad I found this sight, because I thought it was my fault! I just noticed today, that the cracked has spread. It was at first just one crack, and now it's divided into three! I can't believe that Ford hasn't done a recall when there are this many complaints!

- , Woodstock, NY, USA

Jul 272007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I purchased my 2002 Ford Explorer used from a local Toyota dealership in Jan.2007. It was in perfect condition inside and out,42500 one owner miles(verified by a complete car-fax report). On July 27th,2007, while washing it on my driveway I noticed a 1/8" wide crack from the bottom of the rear hatch glass to under the blue oval Ford emblem. Being out of warranty, I just filled in the crack with glossy black silicon caulk,matching the black paint and decided to live with it . Then,on Sunday, Jan.6th, 2008, I observed the crack had increased in length from under the blue oval emblem all the way down to the bottom of the plastic panel,with a second smaller crack about an inch to the left. the silicon caulk in the original crack has separated and the new cracks are about 1/8" wide. After doing a google search and reading many of your similar experiences, it has become very apparent this is just another example of an AMERICAN car maker selling an inferior product and then, when confronted with it CHOOSES to DENY

2 car manufacturer to Toyota. With their nose in the air attitude, it won't be long

until the Ford Explorer won't be the best selling SUV

- , Elk Grove, IL, USA

Sep 072006

Explorer XLT V6

Plastic panel below rear window cracked for no good reason what so ever. I know I am not the only one with this issue...I read them on the net and see them on the road.

Why won't Ford take responsibility for all of the complaints that keep coming up time and time and time again?

- , Sarver, PA, USA