Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2002 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Dec 102010

On the afternoon of Dec. 10, 2010 at approximately 2:45 pm I noticed a large crack on the rear panel of my '02 Ford Explorer - eddie bauer ed. I had assumed that this was vandalism and reported it to the police department. On Monday I googled the description of the damage to my vehicle and come to find out that it was actually a defect in Ford Explorer - '02 - '04. I contacted the Ford company who took my complaint and referred me to my nearest Ford dealership. In speaking with the rep at the dealership they informed me that this was not a "safety defect" and they could not do anything about it. I was told that the estimated cost would be between $450-500. I also read that back in 2006 when this defect occurred that Ford was providing a "special assistance out-of-warranty" on Explorer where they would pay all but $100. Now apparently since Jan. 2007 they have stopped this and not the owners are to pay for the full cost of the repair. I do not see this as being fair due to the fact this damaged was not due to my own doing or another party. Ford should be responsible for this repair if not all, at least half.

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Dec 102010

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while parked, she noticed a large crack from the rear liftgate panel going down. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The current and failure mileages were 65,916.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Nov 202010

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that when using the rear liftgate, it would not stay open and it would close unexpectedly. The vehicle had previously been repaired according to recall 04V442000 structure body hatchback/liftgate, hinge and attachments. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact called the manufacturer who stated that the repairs had been done according to the recall and he had to pay for the repairs at his own expense. The current and failure mileages were approximately 82,000.

- Cos Cob, CT, USA

Sep 142010

Crack in rear window surround, near center at a bottom.

- Portola Valley, CA, USA

Aug 212010

I have purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer that was in mint condition on the outside and fair on the inside, well after having the truck a few months one day I noticed a huge crack by the Ford emblem on the back of the truck. There was no evidence of tampering, and I had not been in any accidents, so this troubled me knowing that this crack had just all of a sudden appeared on my truck. Well I went to the store later that day and passed another consumer on my way out of the store and noticed they were driving the same kind of truck, and lo and behold they had the same crack in the same place. I got their attention and asked if there was some kind of incident that may have caused it, and they responded by saying that it too just appeared on their truck, I have noticed many Ford Explorer ranging from 2002- 2005 having this same crack, keep in mind these are nice vehicles that have not been damaged. I do not know if this could be a potential safety issue or not, by it being so close to the rear window, but it does concern me that I pay money for a nice vehicle and there are defects that the company will not address. I have been out on the internet and there are many many complaints about this same mysterious crack with pictures in the same place on the truck, and I think Ford should recall this defective plastic and repair the cracks. Please help us, the consumers in resolving this matter. Thank you so very much.

- Cordova , TN, USA

Aug 152007

1. I took our 2002 Explorer in for the recall of the back window. When they installed it they put a small crack in panel in the back below the window. 2. the crack grew until finally the whole panel cracked in half. The edge is quite sharp and the panel is a bit loose now. 3. Ford refused to fix it. We track 2002 Explorer with this problem and have found that 1/6 have it. I saw another today prompting me to send this. Here are related articles:

- Southport, NC, USA

Aug 142010

2002 Explorer's panel on the back gate between the window and the bottom half of the gate is cracked in two different spots. I am afraid that this will come off and cause a traffic crash or worse.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Dec 012009

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer. The rear hatch upper glass plastic trim cracked next to the Ford emblem. This allowed water into the trim that caused the bolts holding the latch to rust through and completely fail. I replaced the entire glass last spring (2009). The replacement part also cracked in two places after a few months of Michigan winter. The latch bolts in this unit are now rusting as well. It is obvious that the plastic trim expands and contracts at a different rate than the glass. Since they are bonded together, the weaker plastic fails. The cracks contract and expand depending on the temperature.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Jan 152009

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Appeared out of nowhere. Large crack in vehicle below rear window possibly due to previous recall in Oct 2004 - safety recall 04S20.

- Natick, MA, USA

Jan 022010

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

2002 Ford Explorer -- a crack appears in the panel below the rear tailgate window glass.

- Langley, WA, USA

Jan 032010

I opened the liftgate glass to my Ford Explorer in order to load groceries into the back. The glass came down on my head and I pushed it back up off of me when it exploded all over the place. The molding came down onto my head and my back (I was still leaning into the car). Because it was very cold out, I was wearing a heavy coat with a hat and the hood pulled up onto my head, so this cushioned the impact onto my back and head. Glass was everywhere. There have been several recalls on this piece of equipment since we have had the truck, but the last one was about 5 years ago. The dealer told me it would be my responsibility to fix. I don't believe that liftgates should just be falling off of cars or exploding, even if the car is 8 years old.

- Paramus, NJ, USA

Dec 312009

Rear defroster had been on to un fog the glass. Rear liftgate glass shattered after pressing the release button to release the liftgate. Vehicle is a 2002 Ford Explorer. Weather was 19 degrees F with windchill of 10 degrees F.

- Avon, IN, USA

Jun 102009

I got a Ford Explorer 2002 and the hatchback door is cracked, I had a Ford Explorer 2003 before and it had the same problem and I had seen other Ford Explorer from year 2000 to 2004 with this problem. I contacted the Ford headquarters company and I was told that they couldn't fix the crack because I had to contact you to complain so this will become a recall and they will fix it for me otherwise they are unable to fix it. I only buy Ford cars because I like american cars and also I feel I am helping the economy keeping jobs for the american people but I could buy any other brand! I really appreciate you taking the time to read my complain and maybe find a solution for this problem. Thank you.

- Davenport, FL, USA

Dec 172002

2002 Ford Explorer, the back lift gate / panel directly under the glass, cracked for no reason. One day heading to lunch I noticed this piece cracked. Now, I have been noticing this on other Ford Explorer and even found a website containing lots of other 2002 Ford Explorer owners complaining about the same issue. Contacted Ford Motor Company on 12-21-09 and no recall has been made on this vehicle with this problem. I feel that it is the responsibility to Ford Explorer owners to get this fixed at no cost to the owner. Please let me know what I need to do, in order to get this corrected. Michael smith thank you for your time.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 142009

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. Cracks have developed under the rear window door. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but no assistance was provided because there were no recalls.. the failure mileage was 40,000.

- Jackson, MO, USA

Nov 082009

Following the NHTSA campaign #04V442000 recall replacement of the hinge on the rear hatchback of my 2002 Ford Explorer, cracks in the body have appeared in the paneling around the rear tailgate window. These cracks appear to be stressed induced and may pose a hazard to the rear window if the framing around the window continues to degrade and crack.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jul 142009

Driving on highway, no debris, and our sunroof exploded. As the screen was closed no injuries, but potential for cut and eye injuries by razor sharp glass. No one behind us affected. Huge noise very startling.

- Vancouver, 00, USA

Mar 012008

I took a trip from home in ok to canton, tx on return heard loud noise when I stopped to have the vehicle inspected I found out the front drive shaft was coming out. In March of 2008 I noticed a noise coming from the rear of the Explorer. When I had it inspected I was told the rear end needed to be replaced. This cost me over $2000. My transmission is now slipping and after reading other complaints I fear the worse if I have my transmission checked. Who do we contact to have a lawsuit started? my truck now has approximately 110,000 miles. I have replaced the front drive shaft, rear end assembly. My air bag light stays on and the rear panel below the back window has cracked. I have all the complaints listed except for the gear shifter breaking off in my hand.

- Blackwell, OK, USA

Mar 172008

2002 Ford Explorer with cracked rear tailgate applique. Have seen many more on the road. Ford says there is no defect. They want $350 to fix.

- Eastport, NY, USA

Nov 152008

2002 Ford Explorer developed a crack below the rear hatch window extending down and to the right of the Ford emblem. Since then I have observed these on dozens of Explorer. My vehicle was not involved in an accident, nor was the hatch being used when this occurred. I feel it is a safety issue since the glass could fall out on the highway. Ford in no way acknowledges the issue that has hundreds of complaints on message board.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA