- August 28: Ford Explorer Exhaust Lawsuit Settled by Parties news | 1 days ago
- August 25: Ford Recalls 113,000 Vehicles in 2 Recalls recalls | 4 days ago
- August 7: France Finds Emissions Problems in 86 Vehicle Models news | 22 days ago
- August 4: Ford Recalls 830,000 Vehicles to Keep the Doors Closed When Driving recalls | 25 days ago
- July 8: Ford Explorer Exhaust Smells Investigated investigations | 52 days ago
Whining/Roaring Noise From Rear Differential
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 6)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 82,254 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 120 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- rear end overhaul (35 reports)
- not sure (34 reports)
- Ford should take more pride in their work & fix problems (22 reports)
- replace rear differential (18 reports)
- replaced rear end oil with 75- 145 synthetic (3 reports)
- mention TSBs #05-23-3 and 05-25-8: Drivetrain rear axle humming (2 reports)