2002 Ford Explorer engine problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 102014

Explorer

Explorer O/D light blinks and shifts rough from 1st to 2nd.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 012014

Explorer

I was driving home from work thank god I was almost home at this time, my Ford explore was driving fine all of a sudden I herd a pop and a bang and then the motor started stumbling and shaking.as it was running the motor kept on popping I got out and seen a spark plug next to driver side fender under the hood also the coil that was plugged on to the plug was there too.I tried to grab the coil but got shocked because the rubber on the coil was broke from the plug flying out like a bullet and hitting the coil braking it in four or five places thats Y I got shocked so much.the hole point is that the plug striped out of the head and did all this damage. Now I have no way to fix this issue one of the ways to fix it can be to replace the heads on the motor witch will cost lots of money.what can I do im desperate so it would be nice to have a helping hand by the dealer but thay clam it's not there folt but this has happened to so many Ford because of the heads thay have used on this motor please make a recall for this issue it is a defect I do believe it is.I found over 50 people online having trouble with the same issues as me.please help us.....

- New Haven, CT, USA

Apr 042014

Explorer

When driving to work three blocks away from my house I stopped at a stop light. I started to take off again once the light turned green and a sound from the engine scared me. The truck started to sound like a lawn mower. I then had the truck towed and taken to the garage where the mechanic showed me that the spark plug blow out the engine. He said that with Ford it happens alot and if you search online there are so many people that it happens to. He then told me once he fixes it I should sell it right away unless I am willing to spend what the car is worth on replacing heads. If Ford knows about the problem why isn't there a recall on this already.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Feb 202014

Explorer

It is having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Engine revs up to and over 4,000rpms and slams into the gears.

- Ringwood , NJ, USA

Jun 092003

Explorer

The engine overheated without any warning from the dashboard. I bought this car with 18,000 miles. The engine overheated when it had approximately 25,000 miles.

- Fair Lawn, NJ, USA

Dec 262012

Explorer 6-cyl

Was driving car along local road when the engine started to make noise and the car would not go over 5 miles and hour. Many cars severed to avoid truck and was lucky there was no accident. Truck was towed to local facility and had Ford tech look at vehicle. The timing chain tension broke. Tech and dealerships( called two for quotes ) said this was a common problem. After finding out the engine needed to be pulled for repair I had to junk the vehicle could not afford repair. This is certainly a safety issue any time a vehicle breaks without warning in the middle of traffic. It is also a know common problem. Dealer says the design of the tension is poorly produced and they had extended the warranty for the repair. Ford should fix/ replace the tensioner on these truck before someone is killed.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Sep 052013

Explorer

I bought a used 2002 Ford Explorer in April of this year at a used car lot. It was a beautiful blue SUV in remarkable good condition. I had it four months, and it caught on fire while at a stop sight on my way home from a shopping strip twenty miles from my home. It started smoking and while I was fumbling for my purse to get my cell phone to call for help, it caught fire and bystanders on the thoroughfare pulled me forcefully from the car, and then called the fire department. It was a total loss when the entire hood caught fire and melted. My garage mechanic, who had just seen the car, told me that he could see no reason why it would have caught fire. Can you help me?

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 202013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle burst into flames and the contact crashed into an embankment. The contact suffered injuries to the back. The vehicle was destroyed during the crash. The fire department was called to extinguish the fire. The fire department stated that the fire had started from the engine. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 180,000. The VIN was not available.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Aug 182013

Explorer 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the engine intake manifold failed due to defective plastic that fractured and caused fluid to leak. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic for inspection where the intake manifold was replaced with a steel manifold. In addition, the spark plugs rubber and gasket was replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 180,000. Updated 10/17/13 the consumer stated when he returned to the dealer, he learned when the five spark plugs were flooded they ruined two coils that sent electricity to the spark plugs. Updated the consumer believed Ford hid the plastic intake manifold problem, re-engineered the part to include 1/3 metal and then equipped all subsequent models with 1/3 metal as standard equipment in an effort to avoid responsibility for their defective design. Updated 04/17/14

- Niles , MI, USA

Aug 272013

Explorer

August 27,2012. Huaband driving howm from work. Going down hill to traffic light. Car suddenly, with no warning, stalls out completely. Loss of power steering, power brakes.etc. A/S contuinued to work. Engine ligh came on. Wrestled car to verge of road. Turned car off and it restarted on forst try. Stated that the following day as he attempted to pull away from stop sign, car would not initally take gas but then suddenly accelerated ( " I peeled rubber!") recalled that thatsame incident had had happened approx. 2 weeks before at a diffeent stop. Car taken to repair shop, somputer shows no issues. Believe car unsafe to drive if affected with sudden, unexplained stalling with no apparent cause. Bought car as "certified, pre-owned" used car from Ford dealership in Dec. 2012. They have no answer, no suggestions as to problem cause. Internet search shows multiple complaints for this same problem with the Ford Explorer.

- New Fairfield, CT, USA

Mar 152011

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the engine temperature gauge fluctuated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the thermostat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Las Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 012011

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that after shifting into reverse, there was an explosion under the hood. The air bags deployed and the engine caught fire. The fire department was present. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the gears slipping where the transmission was rebuilt but the failure was not corrected. The contact and two passengers suffered injuries but they were unknown. The vehicle failure and current mileage was 291,000.

- Guilford , ME, USA

Mar 032013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that there was a rattling noise heard from the engine as soon as the vehicle was started. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the timing chain plastic tensioner was fractured. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Baton Rouge , LA, USA

Feb 072013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while traveling 45 mph, the vehicle made a loud popping noise and the vehicle shook. The also contact stated that the check engine light, over drive, and message centers lights illuminated. The contact stated the vehicle had not been to the dealer or a mechanic. The failure and current mileages were 126,000.

- Eleanor, NC, USA

Jan 152013

Explorer 6-cyl

My Ford Explorer has had so many ridiculous problems. This one is extremely inconvenient. The car has trouble shifting gears, it spins from 1st to 2nd gear and then I have to let go of the accelerator for it to shift again, it skips 3rd gear altogether and jerks into fourth after pressing and depressing the accelerator a series of times. Once it's in 4th gear, it doesn't go past 50 mph. My mechanic says his monitor detected a faulty solender and the entire pack has to be replaced, but that may not be the only problem. If that doesn't do the trick (even though it needs to be replaced regardless) he will have to open the transmission and possibly rebuild or replace some of the parts. I have encountered hundreds of other 2002 Ford Explorer owners with the same problem. Aside from this, I have a list of other dangerous issues that this car has had and that has endangered my family's and my life numerous times: - gear shift breaking off the steering column as I shifted from reverse to drive in the middle of a busy intersection. - ignition cylinder/switch breaking - possible spontaneous explosion recall related to the cruise control - rear latch breaking and inability to use the rear latch. - electrical system failure - doors not closing properly & draining the battery - faulty alarm system - faulty temperature gauge and radiator - Ford not allowing customers to buy just the parts needed for replacement and repair and forcing their customers to purchase entire packages only in order to get the necessary parts at extremely high prices. Ford should be incriminated for selling these vehicles knowing full well that they are flooded with life threatening issues to their customers.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 122012

Explorer 6-cyl

Three months ago the overdrive light began flashing on my dashboard. The automatic transmission made a loud noise when changing gears. Sometimes the RPM's will rev but the car will not increase in speed.the light will not turn off and the transmission continues to shift harshly.

- Winnetka, CA, USA

Oct 212011

Explorer

Transmission failed for the second time. Failed originally at 65,000 miles and had to be replaced. Failed again 3 years later at 130,000 miles and had a rebuilt transmission installed. 10 months later at 140,000 miles the transmission is leaking and starting to slip. I don't anticipate paying for a 4th transmission on this vehicle. Obviously there is something wrong with the design.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jul 152008

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the timing chain belt tensioner failed and caused the vehicle to sound like a diesel truck while driving. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told the engine needed to be replaced. The contact stated the noise had been a problem for over four years, but the dealer could not find anything wrong with the vehicle. The failure mileage was 62,000 and the current mileage was 101,000.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Sep 252012

Explorer 6-cyl

While coming off a freeway my car suddenly jerked and the transmission failed. Causing my vehicle to stop. When trying to move forward the car began to try to roll backwards into the car behind me. I was lucky I was coming to a stop rather then going full speed on the freeway. After much research I have found that this is an all too common problem with this make model and year. The transmission now needs to be completely rebuilt according to 2 mechanics.

- Portland, OR, USA

Aug 152012

Explorer 6-cyl

Transmission failed on the highway at 70mph pulled off exit and continued on city roads to our jobs parking lot and is no longer drive able.

- Rochester, WA, USA