2002 Ford Explorer engine problems

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jun 202003

Explorer 4WD

My husband was driving home and the car started accelerating on its own. The gas pedal was stuck and he tried braking and it would not stop. He even tried the emergency brake and it would not stop. It finally popped up and stopped. He was very frightened by the incident. We have two small children and he refused to let them ride in it again. Then next day we traded it in on a new car at a huge loss to us. I now find out that Ford has this problem and refuses to do anything about it. The rug did not catch it was nowhere close to it. They won't do anything until many people die and they get sued. Please investigate this before others are hurt.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Apr 042003

Explorer 4WD 8-cyl

The accelerator cable broke when pushed sharply to get around a hazard. Car was only nine months old.

- S. Lake Tahoe, CA, USA

Jan 202003

Explorer

On one occasion the vehicle experienced sudden acceleration, and the second occasion, while driving at highway speed the vehicle all of a sudden shut down.

- Coto Laurel, PR, USA

Apr 142003

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

When the brakes were applied, the vehicle surged foward into oncoming traffic.

- Barnhart, MO, USA

Feb 232003

Explorer

The vehicle experienced sudden acceleration.

- Setauket, NY, USA

Apr 122003

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

While pulling into parking space (right) in parking garage my Explorer experienced a sudden accleration-at full throttle (snapping the steering wheel to the right) (extremely loud revving, whining and another sound like a bad belt screech all at the same time) before the crash. No brakes (pedal went to the floor). Crashed into steel I-beam bending it and cracking concrete pillars. No airbag on impact.

- Rocky Hill, CT, USA

Feb 122002

- Rocky Hill, CT, USA

Jul 202002

Explorer 4WD

My family and I were traveling on vacation on July 20,2002. We were driving our new Ford Explorer XLT. I stopped for fuel and was re-entering the interstate. Traffic was heavy so I had to accelerate to about 60mph to enter the traffic. As I made my entrance, I let off the accelerator as I was between two 18 wheelers. I removed my foot from the accelerator and the vehicle continued at full speed almost rear ending the semi. I was applying my brake with all my strength to no avail. The vehicle charged ahead. I steered to the shoulder avoiding the semi and began stomping the accelerator at which time it finally released. My family and I were terrified. I got the vehicle back to my dealer in lexington where it was examined and the position taken that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. "the problem couldn't be verified". I was told to come and get my vehicle that nothing is wrong with it. My wife and daughter are terrified of the vehicle and we can get no relief from Ford. I did contact Ford in detroit and got the same answer-nothing wrong with the vehicle.

- London, KY, USA

Jun 272002

Explorer

Consumer has had vehicle in the shop 4 times for the rear window. When the vehicle was coming to a stop it would surge forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but they were unable to help the consumer with the problem.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Jun 272002

Explorer

Consumer states the vehicle surges forward when coming to a stop.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Oct 012001

Explorer 4WD

Vehicle experiences periods of stalling at low speeds. Applying brakes there is a loss of brakes and steering. No prior warning before stalling. Existing problem 5 times, taken into the delaer. Dealer replaced fuel pump, main control valve body, transmission oil pan, idle air control valve and programmed PCM. Vibration like anti-lock brake system is kicking in. Dealer could not duplicate. Overdrive comes in and out at odd speeds. No problem found.

- St Paul, MN, USA

May 232002

Explorer

While driving 45 mph consumer applied brake, however vehicle would not slow down, cruise control stayed on. Consumer then depressed accelerator pedal, then the brake throttle released.

- Munster, IN, USA

Feb 042002

Explorer

Consumer stated that the vehicle experienced an acceleration problem, consumer started to brake, however the vehicle would not stop, it started to buck and jerk for about 4 car lengths and then went back to normal.

- Wanaque, NJ, USA

Feb 042002

- Wanaque, NJ, USA

Apr 032002

Explorer 4WD

After removing foot off accelerator pedal, vehicle continues to accelerate, causing extended stopping distance when brakes are applied. Dealer and manufacturer were notified.

- Highland, MI, USA

Feb 252002

Explorer 4WD

On date of accident, I was driving on 12 mile approaching intersection of orchard lake road. I'm coming to a complete stop, going about 1-2 mph, when the engine surged. My foot was on the brake, and I could hear and feel my engine accelerating, and to avoid rear ending the car in front of me, I turned the wheel and went up the curb, and finally stopped when I hit an interstate sign. The event took place in about five seconds. On the Monday following the accident, I took my truck to jerome duncan Ford and explained what happened. I also informed them that on 2 ocassions my car would not start. The diagnostic showed that my PCM need to be replaced. It could not bring up any missing codes for the surge of my engine. The PCM controls the engine and is the drive train. I don't believe for one second the defective PCM isn't the cause of the accident. I never relased my foot from the brake! my car is still at the dealer, and I refuse to have the PCM changed till a field engineer looks into it. I told them I don't want the truck back till they find what caused the surge, and that the car is unsafe to drive. The service drive manager said that this Monday (2/25/02) he would take my truck out and wait for it to surge on him. They are not taking this as a serious matter! they told me I could start some "legal" action paperwork (where there will be and investigation, and a Ford field engineer will look into it) and I told them that I was willing to start paperwork. They explained it could take up to 4 months, I told them that is not an issue, my truck is unsafe to drive. A detail I forgot to mention was the service manager started to say that they already changed my PCM, then told me they didn't. so called him 2 minutes after our conversation and told him that I did not want it changed until someone from Ford looked at it. He said "oh you don't want it changed, I was just going to have it changed." I said do not change it!

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Feb 052002

Explorer 4WD

Speed control suddenly accelerated from 65mph (where cruise control was set) to 95 mph. It was full throttle and increasing speed when I hit the brake and it stopped accelerating. Dealer says there is nothing wrong and does not know why it did this. I'm still working with them to solve the problem becuase I no longer trust it. I was not touching any controls or pedals when the car began accelerating.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jan 262002

Explorer

After engine was started and gear shift indicator was in park position vehicle started rolling backwards unexpectedly for a short distance before brake system stopped the movement. Dealership has not examined vehicle for this problem. Please provide any additional information / documentation.

- Staten Island, NY, USA