9.3

$2,829.00

1. replaced with rebuilt transmission (112 reports)
  2. replace transmission (86 reports)
  3. transmission needs to be recalled (81 reports)
  4. call Ford customer service and complain 800-392-3673 (63 reports)
  6. local mechanic fixed, not giving dealer any more business (18 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 10 of 22)

Aug 032008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

First off, let me start by saying that from what I've learned after researching the problem that i'm one of the "lucky" ones simply because I was able to get 140,000 miles before having any trouble. So I'm told. BUT! the fact remains I just finished paying the car off and this happens.Well I guess I should say what "this" is. Transmission failure, surprised so was I. I'm a truckdriver by trade was on a 2 day turn in Jacksonville,Fl. when my wife called me and said the car is acting funny. Me being the typical man asked the dumb question; what did you do? and she says "i did nothing" (to put it nicely).So I told her to described what it was doing, and she said that it would not change gears, the O/D light was blinking on and off,and there was a really hard knock when she put it in gear. So I cut my trip short to come home and try and take care of the problem. When I got in the next day I called my local Aamco shop, we said our hello's, and he said "what can Ido for you". I said "I got an '02 explorer", and before I could say anything else he started describing the symptoms to a "T", and I was like so you've heard this before. His next question was; how many miles? I told him 140,000, he was in shock! By this time he told me he would'nt be doing his job if he did'nt have me bring it in to do a free dyno- even though he knew the problem- so I did, and low and behold there were four '02 explorers parked in the back with the same problems (miles ranging from 40,000-86,000). To make a really long story short, he said every other explorer that year has transmission problems, and the price to repair is between $2900 and $3100. So I did some research myself and that s how I came across your sight, and was literally floored at the number of problems (identical problems at that). needless to say we fixed the problem drove it for about 4 months, AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN. This time we fixed the problem (still under warranty), and sold the damn thing. To put it in a nutshell FORD made a crappy transmission I know it, you now know it, and FORD knows it.They should be held accountable and recall every last single one until this is resolved.

- , McDonough, GA, USA

Apr 102009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Well, they got me too... Argh! Explorer began shifting hard/soft at various times, especially between 2nd and 3rd. Also, experienced a mild shudder when pulling out from a stop and a high pitch whining noise when stopping and starting -- sounded like an electronic motor spinning up and down. I took it to Mr. Transmission and they diagnosed it for "free" and told me it would be $1500 for parts and labor to rebuild it (plus any "hard" parts that needed to be replaced). After they had it completely torn down, they called to tell me that it would be almost $3000 due to other damaged parts -- and that I could either pay them to fix it or come get my transmission in a box and have my vehicle towed. It would have been cheaper to order a remanufactured transmission (the entire transmission) from everdrive.com and pay someone to install it. Also, Mr Transmission only offers a 12 month warranty. Everdrive.com offers a 36 month warranty. I guess hindsight is blah blah blah...

- , Jonesborough, TN, USA

Apr 042009

Explorer XLT V6

Wow if I knew what I know now about ford and their price of sh*t explorers I would've Neva even spit on that piece of sh*t my tranny went out at 82k if I didn't have an extended warranty the price to rebuild the tranny would've been $2700 I still had to pay 700$ out my pocket, that's a down payment and a couple of notes on a new ride...ford sucks ass!!! And their shitting on the small people aka uneducated consumer

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 182003

Explorer

This transmission was taken in for repairs several times. They refused to find any problems the first 2 visits. The car would accelerate and take off by itself, jerk, slow down when you are trying to accelerate and it makes clunking noises. The final results, I stepped out of this car to put a 4 year old in his car seat, and the transmission engaged itself in reverse. The door knocked me down and the tire ran up over my pelvis. I've been in rehab, and with several doctors dealing with permanent nerve damage to my left leg for 6 years now. BE CAREFUL! Turn it off before stepping out of this car.

- , Ridgeville, SC, USA

Mar 302009

Explorer XLT 4WD 4.0L V6 Sohc

Adding this to the transmission section but basically front axle differential went in the poop bucket way before its time but well after warranty. Pinion/bearings most likely, and lots of metal in the differential. I had to stick a magnet in since it didn't have the magnetic cap. Looks pretty common for Ford. I barely used the 4WD and owned it since new. To boot, I have already had to complain about several of their service shops... changing the tires the batteries and doing other maintenance that was not required while I was deployed. Since my wife doesn't know much about vehicles she would tell me about it afterward and I was powerless to do anything about it from overseas.

- , Lemoore, CA, USA

Mar 162009

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

I bought this stupid crappy exploder in may of 2008, immediately had the rear differential/bearings replaced ($1500.00 of which the warranty covered $500) and this month after only owning the used truck for 10 months and 71,000 miles on it the transmission goes out. I had NO WARNING. The O/D light went on as the transmission went out. I have a 7 year child and I could have been stranded with this lunk of junk. I took this truck to a trusted mechanic before purchasing the truck and the transmission was checked on the machine and there was no indication that the transmission would go out. I want Ford sued as this is clearly screaming for a recall and compensation. As a single mother I have put $3,500 additional dollars into this truck and there is still something wrong with it. It stalls sometimes when putting it into drive. Who knows what that will lead to. I am driving it into the Mississippi River! I hate this truck.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Jan 182009

Explorer 4.0L

Purchased the vehicle new 8/02 and by 1/03 started hearing a rattling noise. Took vehicle to Rice & Holdup, NJ(dealer) 3 times before someone found(or would acknowledge) the problem - the transmissions. Did some repair and vehicle seemed fine. Now 1/09, only 64,000 miles on it, warranty expired 8/08 and the transmission is totally shot - it just died - and they tell me there is something wrong with the rear but it can't be checked since the vehicle can't be driven. Rice & Holdup, NJ gave a price of $3550 to fix the transmission and at first offered nothing for our troubles and then came back with a crappy offer of 10% off - and the $3550 doesn't include whatever is wrong with the rear. Emailed Ford customer service and got the same "sorry, your warranty expired - nothing we can do" bull. Ford has to be taken to court!!! I cannot believe all the people having the same problem. It was obviously a defect and Ford needs to pay up - I don't care if they go out of business paying everyone back. They are a bunch of @#s%a#@s!!! Took the junk pile to a private shop to be repaired - don't know what the charge is yet but Ford will never see another dime of my money.

- , Medford, NJ, USA

Mar 062009

Explorer XLT V6

Took my dads explorer on a little 2 hour trip skiing...car full of friends, boards, skis, and bags...halfway there white smoke begins cloud from behind the truck like its Nascar or something...get out as huge tractor trailers fly by to take a look under the truck to see tranny fluid spilling from the housing...an hour later I'm sittin in a ford dealer in the middle of no where instead of riding a ski lift....thanks ford for your incredibly reliable vehicle...there truly needs to be a recall on this!!! just think of all the people that own this truck and have not posted on here!!!! I love the truck and so does my dad but holy crap...it shoulda came with a 4 foot bed to haul around all the problems...what a shame...all i can really say and think is WHERES THE FREAKEN RECALL!!!!!

- , Monroe Twp., NJ, USA

Mar 052009

Explorer EB 4.0L V6

Add me to the list of '02 Explorer blown transmission. Classic slip 1-2 shift, no 5th, clunks loud going into "R" & "D" Tranny light on, "check transmission" on in message ctr and now "service engine soon" now glowing. Last Ford I'll ever own/buy.

- , Iowa City, IA, USA

Jul 042008

Explorer LX V6

I don't think I can add much more to the words already posted about the 2002 Explorer. Cost us just a tad over 3K to get the transmission replaced. The new transmission has a 3 year / 30K warranty but I doubt we'll own it that long. The A/C is also broken and the vents do not work properly. When rotating the vent control the air will sometimes be directed the way you want it. Overall I'm very disappointed in the quality of this vehicle. At 80K miles the truck should have a ton of life left and should not be causing so many headaches. I will not buy another Explorer and I am leary about purchasing a Ford at all at this point.

- , Grandville, MI, USA

Apr 292005

Explorer

I bought the 2002 Ford Explorer with 19,000 miles in 2004. I figured a fairly new car should not have any major problems except the normal wear and tear. WRONG! Within the first year of me owning this vehicle several problems occurred. Just to mention a few, the window regulator failed which caused the window not to go up in the dead of winter. The airbag light kept coming on, and finally the transmission is completely shot and needs to be replaced. Called the Ford dealership and they said "These things happen, Sorry". Called the Ford company, they said "You are not covered under warranty and we can't help you at this time, Sorry!". So what have I learned about Ford, which stands for (Found On Road Dead and Fix Or Repair Daily), Fix airbag light $50. Fix driver side window $350. Fix the transmission, $3500. Realizing that Ford makes inferior cars and you will never buy another Ford again, Priceless.

- , Trenton, NJ, USA

Apr 282005

Explorer XLT

Ford should have a recall on this truck... maybe if we get enough people to complain about it or maybe have 20/20 do a report we all can get something back...

thank you.

- , Pine Hill, NJ, USA

Nov 142008

Explorer V6

I bought the used explorer from a Ford dealer in 2006. It had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it. At 72,000 miles while going on a trip for the weekend the vehicle began revving at high RPM's before shifting into gear. I traveled approx. 5 miles to my destination and parked the vehicle for the weekend. I knew it was the transmission, but did not know how extensive it was. I could not check the transmission fluid because that year they did away with a transmission dip stick and the only way to check the transmission fluid was to crack a bolt located on the transmission housing under the vehicle. Boy ford does not make things easy to check easy things like transmission fluid any more!

I had the vehicle towed to a transmission place and they later told me the transmission was destroyed. $2,800 later (Nov. 2008) I am driving again wondering what is going to go next. Won't be buying another Ford again, probably foreign like toyota or nissan. I have only heard good things about their power trains, unlike the fords!

- , Albany, NY, USA

Feb 132009

Explorer Limited 4.0L

i bought this nice explorer used but still in great condition so to my suprise the peace of sh*t tranny blew overdrive and reverse and i understand that it is a common problem i think it should be recalled and fixed by the ford motor company and maybe they should make something that last more than a 100000 miles.

- , Mcbain, MI, USA

Jan 012009

Explorer XLT V8

I bought the car used and never had a moment of trouble then at around 140000 miles it started to implode, first a hub for about a thousand then almost 3000 on a transmission and the hassle of not having the car.

- , Shohola, PA, USA

Oct 202008

Explorer XLT Eddie Bauer 4.0L

Always had Ford vehicles in the driveway...... NOT ANYMORE! I always bought American made vehicles (FORDS = 90%) and decided that this POS is going to be traded in for a Toyota. I haul my children and others in this vehicle constantly to sporting events and I'm not going to risk it anymore. This vehicle has been in the shop for numerous problems and repairs... wheel bearing failure, rear broken coil springs, valve noise, belt alignment problems, doors locking and unlocking while driving, horn blowing at 3am while trying to sleep, and many many other problems. BuhBye Ford. I'm glad none of my tax dollars went to you in a bailout!

- , St.Clairsville, OH, USA

Dec 192008

Explorer V6

second transmission in 5 years. This transmission was rebuilt a few years ago because of bad servos. I was informed that the servos are bad again. I did not know that this vehicle had this much problems with the transmission.

- , Jacksonville, NC, USA

Feb 012003

Explorer

i dont have a ford or had one

but i have figured out and always heard that foreign cars are the best HONDA is bout #1 their cars last forever i have never had any probs with my Honda civic I LOVE IT

and the other best is Hyundai

and saab

but i never owned hyundai or saab

- , Scranton, PA, USA

Jan 262009

Explorer XLT

Another one bites the dust...My lovely 2002 explorer - paid for and only 79,000 miles is headed to the junk yard. Always maintained as recommended in manual and no warning before the transmission blew and the dealer said $4200 to replace. Not worth it. Went and bought a Honda CRV the next day. Will not ever buy ford again. Have the classic 2002 explorer that also had the rear window motor burn out and the back window hatch broke. What a piece of junk!!!!

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Apr 172008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

My last Ford! The transmission did last over 100,000 miles but I have always taken care of my vehicle and most of the miles are light highway driving to and from work. When you buy an Eddie Bauer you are supposed to get Ford's best, something that you could keep if you wanted for several years. Now I am stuck with this vehicle with a so-called remanufactured transmission that is doing the exact same thing my old one did (slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear). What irritates me most is Fords dishonesty about the problem. I complained about the slipping right after I bought my explorer new and of course since the problem is intermittent the dealership said nothing seemed to be wrong. But they knew something was definitely wrong. Now I have the same issue with the refurbrished transmission and I'm stuck with this piece of junk. I want to trade it in but Ford is the only dealership that I would want to pass the problem off to. The problem is I am not going to but another Ford. Since they are so indifferent about a problem they know is a defect in engineering I assume they figure loosing customers is cheaper that trying to compensate for this horrific mistake. Even if they would have done something to keep the cost down would have probably kept me on but they only wanted to keep the cash flowing. My trust in Ford is gone!

- , Dardenne Prairie, MO, USA