Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

1. replaced with rebuilt transmission (112 reports)
  2. replace transmission (85 reports)
  3. transmission needs to be recalled (81 reports)
  4. call Ford customer service and complain 800-392-3673 (63 reports)
  6. local mechanic fixed, not giving dealer any more business (18 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 12 of 22)

Jun 212008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Is an ongoing failure, after I paid with an arm and a leg, six month later I got hit again.

I took it to the same mecha.. and what a surprise the broken piece was not part of the the previous warranty. It cost me $1000 more just to get done. A vehicle is not a luxury is a necessity for us working people!! I am in pin and needles that it will happen again

What a worthless piece of crap. I got it because I was feeling patriotic not today!!

- , Brentwood, MD, USA

Nov 152008

Explorer XLT V6

My truck has always made a weird sound when placing it into drive or reverse and park. then I had it serviced for the transmission 1 1/2 year ago and then all of a sudden I was driving from Los Angeles to San Diego at 65 miles per hour having no problems. Then I hear a bang and then the transmission started slipping. I pulled over at a gas station thinking it need transmission oil. several men at the gas station tried looking for the dip stick and no where to be found. There is no way to check if the truck needs fluid and where to place the fluid. Then it would not go into drive or reverse; I had to get a tow truck to the nearest Jiffy Lube. The did not want to be responsible for it so they advised me to take it to FORD dealership. FORD dealership was going to charge me close to $300 to only diagnose it. If I need to replace the transmission it would cost me close to $4000.00. So I asked the dealership to service the truck and they also did not want to be responsible because the truck didn't even go into reverse. Ther recommended me to take it to a specialty transmission shop or get it repaired ther at the dealership. American cars have this reputation and I never bothered realize that it could happen to me. Well it did, I still owe over more than its worth and it will cost me to fix it more than it's worth. This should be a recall ASAP, before I can fix it . With this economy in 2008 none can afford to repair such a bad manufactured truck and shouldn't have to at our cost. This will be my last American truck, car that my family and I own and I will let everyone know that recommend not getting a FORD or American car. Again this should be recalled and or everyone needs to get Reimbursed for their expenses!!

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 202008

I bought this piece of sh*t and can not afford to get it fixed right now. Right after I bought it I took it to the ford place in foley, alabama and they said there was nothing wrong with it, even though it was not driving right, now the o/d light keeps blinking and it want go into gear all the time, it's hard to shift from park to reverse so it needs to be re-built or get a new transmission. I had insurance at the time and if they had fixed it I would not be having this problem. I have bought a lot of fords but this is the last one I will ever buy. I will tell everybody I know not to buy one. Very disappointing. Transmission needs to be re-called. Carol Jones, Elberta, Alabama.

- , Elberta, AL, USA

Oct 272008

Explorer EB V8

'02 Explorer EB V8 - Just over 100K miles, meticuously maintained truck just started shifting really hard from 2nd to 3rd. O/D light flashed continuously and check engine light came on. Last two blocks of short drive, less than 2 miles, The transmission really started grinding. These transmissions are crap and this has been an ongoing problem since they came out. I researched the fact, ford only used this transmission for two years. This in itself is an admittance of an unreliable product.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Sep 152008

Explorer Limited 4.0L V6

Same as most on here. Started slipping in 2nd to 3rd and OD light flashing with check transmission. Took to local mechanic who said it needs to be rebuilt. Was shot so bad due to a loose bolt inside that had to go with re manufactured unit.

Only 64K miles and falling apart. My F250 has 150K and still going strong and had no issues with my 2005 Mustang.

Definitely a lemon! Last Ford for me after calling in and Ford offering no help or discount.

- , Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jun 152008

Explorer Eddie Bauer

The engine started racing and the transmission was obviously slipping, particularly on hills. Initially the problem was intermittent, but gradually became worse until we had to take in in to the dealers. They showed no signs of being surprised that the transmission should go at 62000 miles. I now know why, after reading the entries on the web sites. The Explorer obviously has major transmission problems. We paid over $4300 to get it fixed, only to find that 2000 miles later, the same problem is happening again. The dealer of course claims that he can not find anything as the problem is intermittent. Although the new transmission is under warranty, they still charged $200 for failing to diagnose the problem. I am amazed that Ford do not accept responsibility for this common fault and come up with an acceptable solution for customers.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 132008

Explorer XLTV6

My husband was comming home from the NLCS Dodger game when he called at 11:09 pm woke me up after taking NyQuil for my cold and stated that the transmission was not working it was just whining and would not stay in gear so we had to have it towed from Gorman, CA to Bakersfield, CA about 50 miles (thank GOD for AAA plus package). Suddenly i start freaking out thinking of the cost. He states "that maybe it just needs fluid and that we have to take it to a shop what kinda crap is that. I think it's a bigger problem than that, but i'am trying to keep good thoughts, but after reading these post I can feel a panic attack coming on as we speak. I don't even know it the car is worth what it cost to fix it, but i sure can't afford to buy a new one that this Explorer is paid off I don't want another car payment. Well i'am to go wait for the tow truck to get here with my Explorer.

- , Bakersdfield, CA, USA

Oct 032008

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Bought the vehicle about 2 months ago because it was very comfortable to drive and I thought is was reliable. But not even 2 months later with only 131,000kms on it the transmission went. First it started out by going into gear slowly, then about after a week I heard a bang and a squeak come from it. A few days after I noticed fluid leaking out of the transmission. I priced getting the transmission fixed and it cost approx. $3000.00. Then I phoned Ford in Ontario and they said there was nothing they could do for me and that there was no recalls. Now I am out what I paid for the vehicle and what it is going to cost to fix it. I am pissed that Ford could sell vehicles like this and not have to do anything about it with so many of the same complaints on the same vehicle. I will never buy another one because they should have a recall or help people out with this problem. My next vehicle will not be a FORD.

- , St John's, NL, Canada

Oct 062008

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

This site really freaks me out cause i just took my POS explorer into the shop today. No word on the total damages yet. I purchased the explorer less than 3 months ago with 66000 miles on it. While driving, the transmission started shifting hard between 3rd and 4th gears. On the side of the road myself and brother-in-law found it entertaining that there was no transmission dipstick and after looking in the owners manual that any service has to be done at the ford dealership. FORD should be ashamed of this design and is clearly a scam to make money for their dealerships! This vehicle/transmission is definitely a lemon... Its never a good sign when you call your local transmission service shop and the guy on the line starts laughing after you answer his question to year make and model! I would take that as a hint that they see this problem day in-day out!

- , Denver, MT, USA

Sep 152008

Explorer Sport 4.0L

34,000 easy miles. Well maintained. 4 wheel drive used maybe a dozen times for short periods and yesterday without warning the transmission suddenly blew spewing fluid over everything. This was at approx. 35 miles an hour after starting out on a short trip. Nothing but problems with this vehicle. I'm the original owner and sole driver of the vehicle so I know it has not been abused. The last three years I averaged 4k miles per year. THANX FORD FOR THE QUALITY. Hope Nissan will like my business.

- , Tonawanda, NY, USA

Aug 262008

Explorer XLT 3.5L

I am feeling good because there are people such as autobeef that help us to explain car problems.

- , Doral, FL, USA

Mar 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

i bought my explorer thinking it was a really nice car and would last for a long time. 4 months later my transmission went out and i had to have it "refurbished". after i got it back, it still wasn't fixed-it wouldn't go into reverse! now 2 years later, transmission is leaking from the front end and i'm being told i need to replace the transmission! this is ridiculous. ford SUCKS!!!! i will never ever by ford again and i will tell any one else out there who's looking at an "exploder"....DON"T DO IT!!!!! save yourself a lot of time, heartache and money and buy the trailblazer instead!!!!!!!

- , Noblesville, IN, USA

Dec 252007

Explorer XLS 4.0L

click to see larger images

transmission failure transmission failure transmission failure transmission failure transmission failure

On Christmas night my 02 explorer "exploder" started shifting funny, i wasn't sure what was going on, until my o/d light started flashing, my engine light came on as well. i started driving it, shifted out of 1st gear just fine but when it went to shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear it revved up high and it slammed into gear. thats when i knew i had tranny problems. so i drove it home parked it and didn't drive it for the next 9 months until now. i called ford to asked them what was going on with my tranny, i explained to them my issues they said that i need a new Solenoid pack that that would take care of the problem. so i did and it didn't do a dam thing. while i was under the tranny i saw one of the anchors loose as if one of the bands were broken, so i explained to ford and told them that one of the anchors is loose and they said "its supposed to be like that" what a crock of dodo. i finally decided to take down my tranny and look everything over since i work at a bodyshop i would save lots of money doing it myself. i came to realize that my valve body was gone bad after testing it, both my bands were broken so i replace them with new ones and i also replaced all the seals and torque converter, and i also took out the pump and everything else and they seem to be in working order. so after about $750 with my discounts from ford i replaced all the infected parts and installed everything and added the tranny oil and updated my tranny to latest calibration and everything works so far runs actually really good. i think that ford did not want to help me, i think they were hoping that i would bring my car to them and pay them 3 thousand dollars to fix it. ford sucks im gonna get rid of my explorer for good no more american cars for me especially ford. if you need help with your tranny especially the 5R55W with the 4.0 l tranny let me know i fixed my own rig and it works great.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 012007

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Transmission slipped for about a day. My wife was on her way to the dealer when it made a loud bang and disintegrated. Complete transmission failure. The truck had to be towed the rest of the way. From info on this and other sites this appears to be par for the course for an 80,000 mile Explorer transmission. Good thing I bought the extended warranty.

- , Friendswood, TX, USA

Jan 232008

Explorer 4.0L V6

I had it in the shop for 7 weeks they could not fix it

- , Oshkosh, WI, USA

Aug 152008

Friday morning...driving to starts jerking...doesn't want to go. So I call my dad...yes, 41 and still call I am talking to him, O/D Off light comes on in my 2002 Explorer...never hauled anything larger than the boxes of school supplies I take to my third graders...Dad says okay to drive less than 10 minutes left to the next light, car shoots me forward like a rocket...does this two more times on the way to the Ford dealership...super guy (usually) who handles service...acts at first like he's never heard of this problem...then when I mention the light, his lightbulb goes on...probably the transmission...long story short...talked to him today- $3000 to re-haul transmission or $4000 to replace, give or take he says...what? I you know if there was fluid in it?...he says the mechanic would have told him if there wasn't...I just got the car serviced at the same place in late June...unbelievable!!! Thanks for letting me know this is an ongoing problem! I shall march in tomorrow with piles of's good to know, I'm not the ONLY one here that knows that a car's transmission should NOT go out at 63,500 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Dec 202005

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I cant believe the amount of complaints for the same issues I have regarding transmissions. I can't wait to get rid of my explorer! Worst piece of Sh*T I ever bought.

I have had to replace my transmission twice and the third time they said that the transmission had to be readjusted internally and cost me a pretty penny. There are more of us out there. Completely disgusted with Ford

- , Seymour, CT, USA

Jul 042008

Explorer XLS V6

Transmission started making noise/failing before 40,000 miles which is out of warranty besides being beyond 3 yrs old. Rolled over to 50,000 miles on Wednesday - Friday tranny completely went out!

- , Ronald, WA, USA

Jul 032008

Explorer XLT V6

July 3rd 2008, while driving home from work my O/D light decides to blink on and off very rapidly, then every so often coming out of a stop light it would not shift into 2nd gear, I would have to literally remove my foot from the gas pedal to let the RPM's wind down before trying to accelerate again to get it to slip back into gear. Every so often coming out of a stop light this would happen and it got worse at each light. If I kept my foot on the gas pedal it would shift eventually but Jerk my entire car forward with a hard clunk and very loud screeching noise like medal grinding very hard. I finally took the car into a local transmission shop to have them look at it, $2,700 dollars later I had a rebuilt transmission and $1275 more dollar later I have a Rebuilt Rear Differential. The total cost of the repair...... about $3,975 all without any warranty repair coverage. I am absolutely outraged that FORD would sell a car with these known problems then act as if they cannot do much about it. I have had 3 different Honda's that have lasted over 200,00 miles all with minor issues costing less than 300 dollars to fix, I have had a total of 2 FORD Trucks both have been CRAP and have cost me a combined $8000 in repairs, I was hoping the 2002 model was going to be much better than the older model I have owned in the past. I will NEVER EVER in my life buy a FORD car again and I will never recommend ford to anyone either. FORD trucks are absolute JUNK! I have had people disagree saying... take care of it, change your old service it regularly, I would say those people either are getting really lucky, for as many people that are complaining about this issue FORD should start to listen and provide some type of compensation for their customers who expected to have a Quality Product. I am going to call Ford Customer Service to make a complaint right after this! Im furious!!!!!!

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 082008

Explorer XLT 4.6L

We have 5 Fords right now And have had this Explorer for 5 years and my wife loves it. I was not to keen on buying it in the first place but you know how it goes.

Well in that time it has worked well except for the Rear getting loud about 40K miles and we had it fixed under warranty. Then, without warning 82K miles she tells me, Just past the 75K certified used warranty, it made a loud bang and would not shift into 3rd gear without slipping. Naturally the check engine lite came on and the OD lite was flashing and the trans lite was lit. I checked it out and the shift solenoid was bad so 300 bucks later I could clear the codes but the trans was broke 3rd gear band. I replaced it with a Ford reman trans 2000 bucks and now I'm wondering if I should have got a Trans shop reman because they say they modify the stock 5R55w to shift and work better. The reman Ford trans has a 3 yr/100k warranty. I have had Fords all my life and have not had such bad luck as with this one. I will be in line if a class action suit is filled and I hope my wife finds another AMERICAN vehicle she likes before it takes a sh*t again.

The way things are going I don't see Ford being in business much longer with selling the wrong products and a total lack of integrity in the cars and service in there products. Sorry for the long rant and I can feel for all of you in the same boat. Good Luck

- , Bethlehem, PA, USA