Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

1. replaced with rebuilt transmission (112 reports)
  2. replace transmission (85 reports)
  3. transmission needs to be recalled (81 reports)
  4. call Ford customer service and complain 800-392-3673 (63 reports)
  6. local mechanic fixed, not giving dealer any more business (18 reports)
2002 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2002 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 8 of 22)

Mar 012007

Explorer XLT V6

Like seemingly everyone else with an 02, my tranny was destroyed. One day, the gears started getting clunky. A few days later, it took forever to get out of park. A few days after that, it wouldn't do anything.

We had to get a rebuilt transmission. Ford wasn't selling new ones for that model. Ford said halfway during production of that 2002 model year, they changed the transmission type, and that I couldn't buy the new type, and they weren't making the old type any more. Clearly, that tells me they knew there was a problem.

Even though my warranty was over, they should have covered it. The transmission is sealed. The books says it shouldn't even have to be SERVICED until 150k. Yet the average age these things drop is 80k. Why there was no recall, I'll never know.

I owned a 1994 Explorer prior to that and drive it FOREVER. It was a great vehicle. I now have a 2006 Explorer, and again, no complaints so far. I'm also nowhere near 75k, so we'll see.

- , Washington, DC, USA

Jun 142010

Explorer XLS 4.0L

My husband and I own a 2002 Ford explorer and all of a sudden it just died on us on 6/14/10 with no warning. We were on our way to Tucson, AZ from San Pedro, ca. We were stranded 68 miles away from Blythe,Ca. The car did not accelerate at all. The engine is on but when you change gear, it doesn't go anywhere. I don't understand why Ford has not made a recall regarding this. What are they waiting for? We had the car towed to the dealer but the price to fix was too high. Just to check it was a rediculious price. Anyway, we had to pay for our car to tow back to San pedro,ca from Indio, ca. I can't wait for the lawsuit to take place. Count me in on this. My next car will NOT be Ford.

- , San Pedro, CA, USA

Sep 202006

Explorer XLT V6

Had my 2002 Explore for about 1 year. After 2 differentials and a broken emergency brake cable, my transmission started going bad. The transmission will get stuck between 3rd and 4th gear, took it to the dealer (Bell ford Colonia NJ) Had to pay, beside my $250.00 deductible another $380.00 because as the mechanic warned my before he started the job, that the 4 screws that hold the transmission to the frame will be rusted frozen and they were going to brake and had to be drill out at $95.00 each,and the warranty would't cover it. That it was a common problem they had with all this transmissions. I didn't believe him, but 2 hours later he called me and show me the screws totally rusted and frozen to the frame.

I called Ford Co. their answer was, SORRY BUT WE CANNOT HELP YOU! The total bill was $2,249.00.

After I pick up the car at low speeds it was fine, but notice that at highway speed the transmission shiftt hard between 3-4. I took it back to the dealer two more times but they said that they could feel the problem but the computer couldn't find any codes. The thirth time I asked them to put it in writing, wich they did, and told me that I had a 1year and 30,000 miles warranty on the transmission.

I hardly use the car, my wife use it to take the kids to school. It Igot tired of taking the car back to them. A year went by. It took 3-1/2 years to put 32,000 miles on it. In March the same problem got really bad, now the transmission is slipping really bad before it clank hard. Took it back to the dealer, but of course their answer was that it was out of warranty, they wanted over $100.00 just to put it in the computer to give me a diagnosis. I called Ford Co. but their answer was SORRY BUT WE CANNOT HELP YOU.

Took the car to a transmission shop they give an estimate of $2250.00. The car had been parked in my driveway since March beacuse about a week before this started I had lost my job. Now I keep getting in my mail box this offers from Ford Motor Co. to purchase one of their new cars.

- , Colonia, NJ, USA

Jun 082010

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

This is the THIRD time I have had this transmission rebuilt. First time I complained and yelled at the Danville Barkhouser Ford service department until they did it for a discounted price. Second time I had to pay full price at the dealership again. This time I took it to Danville Transmission, he told me he would warranty and actually stand behind his work. BUT I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT IN MY LIFE

- , Ringgold, VA, USA

Sep 172008

Explorer XLT V8

This is not in keeping with the level of Customer Service Ford claims to offer.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 072009

Explorer Limited 4.6L

I bought the Explorer cus we needed a 4x4 to get son to Hospital during the winter of 09.We Iike the way it look inside n out fully loaded!!!! The wife fell in love with it right away and after feeling the power of the motor I was like o.k lets get it.Right away after that I heard alot of other previous Explorer owner complaint about how crapy their transmission were,n sure enough not long after that my check engine light came on follow by the transmission check light! I took it in to get it checkout were I bought it cus I had warranty still on it and they told me i needed a new transmission.They refuse to pay for it claiming I had put too many miles in such a short time.But I was Driving back n forth to children's Hospital every other day(400miles up n back)After alot of arguing bout who was going to pay for the repair we decided to slip the bill which end up costing me over 1200.00 it's up for sale now!

- , Goldendale, WA, USA

May 192010

Explorer XLT V6

hi i'm a 28 year old father of two who has had three knee operations who is with no transportation becuase ford wont take care of their costumers. my transmission took a crap on me in may 2010 6 and a half mo. after buying. seeing how its a closed trans it just makes it more to fix. you would think ford would take the time to make sure a sealed system would be more depenedable are at least back there work up seeing hows there are so many people haveing the same problems.

this is a sad day in michigan. i'm a shamed to say im from the motor city when there is no help from ford to fix this problem except for give them more money. for what? more problems? just wanted to say thanks ford for makeing me a chevy fan and for dirtying michigan's name some more. bad enough they cut jobs but to cut craftmans ship now thats low. just so they can make more money off the little people who try to put faith in there company to get sh*t on? so again thanks for nothing from my whole family. i say thanks now i cant make it to my doctors app. my kid now cant do after school actives and my wife is now rideing her petal bike to and from her work. so thanks for being the all american motor company.YOU SUCK

- , South Lyon, MI, USA

May 132010

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

Yes, I knew this was an issue prior to buying this vehicle. I love the car and the engine, but the tranny is a pile of crap. Ford really screwed this one up. This is an awesome car and it really gets a bad rap due to the half-ass tranny they put in it.

- , Arlington, WA, USA

May 172010

Explorer XLT V6

After reading all the comments, I feel blessed that my transmission lasted as long as it did. But my problems began years ago. I bought my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT in 2005. I drove 250 miles to get it. My problems first started around 80,000 miles. I would have trouble whenever I put my car in reverse from park. It would take awhile to go in gear. Next, I noticed that whenever I had to make a quick stop or slam on the brakes, (there are plenty of idiots on the road) It would take awhile for my vehicle to go back in first gear to get rolling again. I took my Explorer to the dealer because no one else could check the transmission fluid level and had it flushed. This seem to help the problem with the abrupt stopping but I still had problems when I put the vehicle in reverse. May 1, 2010 my transmission died, my explorer had 184,000 miles. I was fortunate enough to find someone to put the transmission in for $1,000, parts and labor. Of course the dealer wanted $4,000 or suggested I traded it in. I am not sure how long this rebuilt transmission will last but the car is great shape otherwise. No one can believe it is a 2002 model. I do have normal wear and tear, brakes and hub bearings.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

May 052010

Explorer LX 3.2L V6

We purchased our 2002 Explorer in 2005 and have enjoyed it until last week. On May 5th I was driving in town and all of a sudden the transmission was having trouble shifting into 3rd gear and the overdrive light was flashing on and off. We have never had trouble with a vehicle like this before. It only has a little over 62,000 miles on it and is well taken care of and maintenance. I think Ford Motor Company should have a recall and fix the problem and pay us back for having to dish out $3,000 for a new transmission. I am not happy with Ford right now and may not even do business with them again after this incident. I called Ford Motor Company to register a complaint and all they could tell me was that the vehicle is 9 years old and they do not have enough complaints. Way to go on taking care of your customers that have been loyal Ford owners. They really need to step up to the plate here.

- , Great Falls, MT, USA

Feb 132010

Explorer XLT 6 cyl

This is the second rebuilt transmission for my explorer. The first time was in September 2006 when the car had 60,288 miles and the car was then under extended warranty so was covered and replaced by Ford. Now that transmission has died after only 33,529 additional miles. Of course, this was just a few months after the warranty expired. So here is my explorer with only 93,817 miles going on its third transmission. Only my husband and I drive it and we are easy on cars.... no teenage drivers, my kids are in their 30's. What's up with that?

I complained to the Ford dealer (Bowen-Scarff Ford in Covington, WA) and I also called Ford Customer Service at 800-392-3673 and complained to Steve about everything. Of course he told me that because it was out of warranty and there is no recall Ford could do nothing. Ford quoted me a price of $3300 plus tax to install another rebuilt transmission with a 36 month or 100K mile warranty. I have found a private repair shop that comes with high recommendations that will get a rebuilt transmission and install it for about $500 less than the Ford dealer, with the same warranty, so I am going with them. I told both the dealer and Ford customer service that I would be taking my business elsewhere. We own three Fords now but I doubt I'll be going with Ford the next time I am ready to buy a car.

- , Covington, WA, USA

May 012008

Explorer XLT 4.6L

POS!!! and I don't mean point of sale... Bought a 2002 XLT after having good luck with my 2000. Excepted same Ford "reliability" as the first. Man was a I wrong. After the bearings in my motor spun @ 69,000 miles, A yard motor from a Mountaineer was dropped in place of the spent 4.6L ($3,800 installed) ran great for about two months. Then the transmission........ What else needs to be said. In order to bring it back to state inspectable (road worthy condition) I would've had to replace the rear springs, all ball joints, rear ABS sensors, and the transmission.... Never abused or mistreated, always maintained. I voluntarily had it reposessed and squabbled with the bank and paid it off for what it would've cost me to fix it...... Written off. Never again...... As an American derived and based company. I am totally saddened to see this many people, probably and hopefully hard working people of the states writing about the same complaints over and over and a company that size not investigating a little bit further into a possible recall.... White collared criminals. I love the people that "don" that little boy urinating on the Ford sticker found on the back of most Chevy's and Dodge's..... Now I can see why.

- , Pelham, NH, USA

Aug 112009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L

Transmission and Transfer case rebuilt. Rear differential is also in need of a rebuild. Money pit!!!!!!!!!!

- , Osceola, WI, USA

Jan 022010

Explorer V6

First of all, Ford sends their appologies. Yep, I emailed them and they did respond. I knew they weren't going to help me pay for this. I'm very disappointed it happened to me!

My O/D light was flashing. My transmission stopped working because the overdrive gear broke and part of it or a bearing was clogging the filter. Shutting the engine off for a few and restarting would let me go a few miles, but if I had to come to a stop, I had to let it rest. My mechanic says these are one of the best transmissions out there. I looked. There were nearly half a million of these vehicles built. He says a few hundred complaints out of half a million isn't bad. Whatever! My original estimate for a rebuild was 1900.00, but they found this and that and couldn't get things to work right. Final cost. 2744 and some change. I get it home to discover the 4WD no longer works.. I take it back to find that SOMEHOW the 4WD Module has gone out on it. Really? The damn thing worked fine 2 weeks ago! I was given $250 - $300 estimate to fix. Final fix price= Over $400. I think they told me $450 something. Really? @##$$ #(*$#@. Now I've got more in it than it's worth. Looks like its going to become a hand me down to my son. I'm buying a freakin horse. And if he needs fixed... well you know how that goes!!!

OH, and then I find this...

Someone is saying Ford may offer to help. I don't see it happening, but at least try it.

- , Celina, OH, USA

Dec 062009

Explorer LX V6

Like so many others, my 2002 Ford explorer started experiencing the blinking O/D light..then it simple stalled and inched forward barely moving... I'd been told that ford was experiencing many issues with the failing transmissions in the 2002 model. I had this issue repaired for the hefty some...correction rebuilt for the hefty charge of $2868..My Repair shop extortionist told me that he'd received several other explorers with similar issues..however my vehicle had burnt out almost everything surrounding the tranny... This was all very foreign and frustating for me. He went on to inform me that out of the four explorers being rebuilt mine was the worst and most costly.. surprise surprise..

Ford should really step up the way Toyota is attempting to do and recall or assist in the high end robbery of repairing an issue that they knew about all along... I feel a little better knowing others out there are voicing their concerns maybe Ford will take notice... thought i'm not holding my breath....

- , Springfield, MA, USA

Jan 072010

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

under 50,000 three wheel bearings, cost, $197.00 a piece for the bearing, 247.00 a piece to have them installed, (have to be pressed off and on) great Ideal from ford! Fourth wheel bearing at 62,000, around the same price. I have not ever had this suv off road the only thing I have pulled with this car is my 18 foot pontoon boat, only in the spring to put it in the lake and in the fall to pull it out, what i am getting at is both rear coil springs broken! Go figure! Four wheel drive module went out, cost, $489.00 at 85,000. and now the transmission went out at 89,000, $2700.00.

Called Ford on all the problems, guess what? Nothing covered under warranty by Ford, so much for the 100,000 drive train warranty HUH? I had a 1997 Explorer put over 135,000 on it and not one problem, this 2002 has some major problems, and ford will not stand behind any of them. My first Ford was a 1959 Fairlane, I think this 2002 Explorer will be my last.

- , Grandville, MI, USA

Dec 212009

Explorer XLT V8

Ford needs to recall this Transmisson. i have nothing else to say about it, I'm sick and heart broken over this :(

- , Londonderry, NH, USA

Jan 122010

Explorer LS V6

Much the same as others. O/D light blinking, loss drive train power......Per Mr. Transmission:Overdrive ring failed resulting in the loose parts destroying the rest of the transmission....This has to be a design/ engineering fault by Ford. Who's handling the class action?

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Dec 182009

Explorer 4.0L

transmission failed at 57000 miles, never towed a thing! on the phone with ford right now listeIng to how they do not care. The delership is a complete rip off. they wanted $400 to fix brakes that had already been replaced 5000 miles before with new pads, they just "stumbled upon this brake wear issue" during one of their "inspections" the dealerships near military installtions try and rip off soldiers WAY TO GO FORD!

- , Phenix City, AL, USA

Nov 272009

I bough my 2002 Explorer a year ago.. never had a problem with it.. until black Friday.. yea that is right.. i have 2 kids i love dearly and on my way xmas shopping for them and my family.. what do u know. my o/d light started blinking a bout 5 mile after i left my house... then it stopped shifting and kept jumping into natural.. as we got further down the road it wouldn't go at all had to have my dad come tow me home.. now i am having to take xmas money and buy a new transmission and have it put in.. looks like xmas this year for a single hard working mom with 2 kids wont be as great as i thought.. Also the person that i am having change the transmission says it looks like this is not the 1st time that transmission has been changed in this car..

- , West Hamlin, WV, USA