Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

1. Ford should recall (222 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (143 reports)
  4. replace the panel (28 reports)
  5. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (13 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 11 of 27)

Dec 032009

Explorer LS 3.2L

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 012010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

Unbelievable. I have the Eddie Bauer package and paid a lot of money for this car. Went to trade it in at the FORD dealer and they noticed the crack right away. Discounted me for the damage. Was looking for a new Explorer. NOT ANY MORE

- , DeKalb, IL, USA

Nov 072010

About 3 months ago I noticed a crack on the back door panel on the left of the Ford emblem. I thought someone had tried breaking in to my automobile. I looked at the hatch and am wondering why it comes loose or open w/out my pressing the unlock on the doors or w/my fobb. I then saw another Ford model vehicle, some lil hatchback w/the same crack on this back panel. Now as of 2 weeks ago the crack is wider. It runs top to bottom of the panel and is about 7 inches (the entire height of that panel above the window). I'm always looking for any new scratches dents by other obnoxious careless drivers. This is a major EYESORE. I take pride in what the body of my cars stay in, and this is unacceptable. How can this be fixed or what is causing this crack to just suddenly appear? Are there gaps or spaces behind that panel on this door ? This really needs to be looked at cause I am not ready to dish out 400-1000$ out of my pocket to get it fixed. Will my insurance cover this ? Will this cause any leaking or damage if this crack gets any wider ?

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Dec 072010

Explorer XLS 4.0

This SUCKS!!!!!!!!! I just bought this Explorer on 12-03-10 and afterward learned about the problem with the cracked plastic happening on these models. I considered myself extremely fortunate that mine wasn't cracked. I get up this morning and damned if there wasn't a HUGE crack from top to bottom just to the right of the Ford emblem!!!! This car was FLAWLESS! perfect body, perfect paint and now this!!

- , Ardmore, OK, USA

Jul 012010

Explorer V6

Noticed this a few months back; a friend has the same issue; crack down the back of the hatch around the Ford emblem; Ford should recall and fix for free; my family has been Ford supportive for many many years! Fix this problem Ford. We will be calling around to see what can be done; joined the FaceBook group, etc.

- , Canton, GA, USA

Nov 062010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Since this has happened to my Explorer, I have learned it is a very common problem and should be addressed by Ford.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 022009

Explorer 4.0

This is my 3rd complaint about my 2003 Ford explorer. Washing the piece of crap when I noticed the rear cracked. Apparently other explorers are doing the same thing. There should be a class action suit against Ford for the Exploder's and I don't mean Explorer, because this SUV is making me broke.

- , Monroe, MI, USA

Nov 132010

Explorer 4.0L

I could not believe reading all the complaints about a problem that just occured to me. My daughter callled me at work to tell me of a crack on the rear panel below the window. She even sent me a pic mail of it. I didn't contact dealer yet here in Harrisburg PA but will this week. I bought the vehicle used in 2004 and have had no problems except normal things aside from an alternator. The saleman is a friend for years but will get an earful if nothing is done. I'm one for buying US made vehicles to help OUR economy and to keep corporate profits here. Ford Corporate will also get a call. If nothing is done HOW can they (Ford) expect to have to have return customers. I truly enjoy the truck, but maybe Chevy needs another look. Ford needs to man up

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Oct 012010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0

Won't buy another American can. They don't stand behind them like the imports.

- , Washington, UT, USA

Mar 022009

This is my second Ford Explorer, and I was pretty upset that with less than 50000 miles on a 6 year old car, the back hatch has a crack in it. I contacted our insurance company because I wasn't sure if something hit the vehicle. At any rate, we paid a small deductible and our insurance company covered the remaining balance. They said they would contact Ford and conduct analysis on the incidence of this problem.

- , Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Jul 052010

Explorer XLT V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

OMG! Where and how to begin??? This past summer, I closed the tail gate on my car as I would any other time....and instantly, the giant, ugly CRACK shown in the two photos provided, was all of a sudden just there!? I couldn't believe it! What had I done wrong? What did I do different? NOTHING!!! That's what I did....nothing. So this happens, my husband and I research the issue online and discover hundreds of complaints regarding the same car, same year (including 2002 and 2004 models). All the reviews we read discussed the fact that Ford will do NOTHING to fix what is clearly a defect in the panel. Well I thought...."Well I'll get Ford to do something!" I wrote to Ford, was put in contact with two representatives, both of whom gave me the complete run around, claiming there is nothing Ford can do, as the car is out of warranty. OUT OF WARRANTY???? Is there a warranty for issues caused by a manufacturing flaw in the design of a vehicle? This is not just wear and tear on the car....this is a DEFECT, Ford! A warranty should not be the issue. I don't care that the cracked panel does not appear to be a safety issue. What I care about, is that in 2003, I purchased a $35,000 brand new vehicle.....not a cheap investment, and the freakin' car should not just crack when it feels like it, and Ford not be held accountable??? SUCK, and although we have purchased other Fords in the past, I can guarantee this will be our last....and along with my new friends on the internet, I'll be spreading the word around town as well.

- , Folsom, CA, USA

Dec 142009

Explorer XLT 6-Cylinder

My problem is the same as many 2003 Ford Explorer owners -- cracked panel on the tailgate. I've had no luck in getting it repaired by Ford, and I've tried the corporate office and our local Ford dealership in Owensboro, KY, which is Champion Ford.

So, my next step is this: I'm starting a Facebook group encouraging unhappy Explorer owners to join and post photos of their cracked back panels. I'm then doing a YouTube video about the problem and hope that it goes viral.

I can't imagine Ford would want such negative publicity, so I'm hoping they repair my panel.

- , Philpot, KY, USA

Dec 142009

Explorer XLT 6-Cylinder

Since I've had the problem with the cracked rear panel on my 2003 Ford Explorer, I have seen many, many other Explorers with the same problem. I contacted the Customer Service Dept. for the main office of Ford Motor Company, with no luck in getting it repaired by them at their expense. Since then, I've contacted our local Ford dealership, Champion Ford, in Owensboro, KY to tell them of the problem, with no luck either. They're response was, "Well, if it had happened during the 3-year warranty period, it could have been fixed." Duh. From my research, I have discovered these panel problems don't occur while the vehicle is still new or fairly new. However, I think for such a severe problem to occur in the body of a vehicle that only has 70,000 miles on it (the mileage at the time of the crack), is ridiculous. (However, Champion Ford was happy to give me a quote for the cost to repair it at MY expense, using their body shop, of course.)

My next step is this: I'm going viral with this problem. First, I am starting a Facebook group to tell the world about this lack of integrity by Ford, and to get as many people to join as possible. I shall post pictures of the crack, and encourage other Explorer owners to post their own photos. Then, if I still have no positive response from Ford Motor Company, I shall make a video and post it on YouTube.

I'm getting ready to inform the corporate office and our local Ford dealer - Champion Ford of Owensboro, KY - that I am doing this. I would think they would not want the negative publicity and FIX MY FORD!!! Join me, Explorer owners, on getting the word out about this problem via the internet!

- , Philpot, KY, USA

Jan 172009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

This is such a common problem. You see these things all over town with the cracked panels. It should be an embarassment to Ford! They should take some pride in their work and replace all of these obviously defective panels. My son also have an explorer and has had his replaced at his own cost. Wake up Ford...treat your customers right and they might start returning.

- , Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Jul 142010

I've had to replace the transmission at 60,000, windows stopped working (Wires were to short broke) and now the back hatch cracked. They need to be recalled.

- , Springfield, OH, USA

Oct 202010

Explorer Eddie Bauer v8

This has happened twice. The 1st time 2 years ago. After a tremendous hassle the Ford dealer replaced the panel for $100. Now that it has cracked again they will so nothing. This sucks. I have taken excellent care of the vehicle and except for this obvious manufacturer's defect it is in mint condition. FIX IT FORD.

- , Middletown, OHIO45042, USA

Jun 152007

Explorer 4.0L

On my 2003 Ford Explorer, the plastic panel under the tailgate window cracked to the left of the Ford emblem. This occurred after there was a recall for the window hinges, which I had done at the time of the recall. I have seen many of this model with the same crack. This is definitely a defect that should be fixed by Ford on a recall. Otherwise this car is great, Economical and no mechanical problems for the first 100,000 miles. For the price and usefulness, the explorer is the best car on the road. I also have a 2004 Eddie Bauer expedition, which I love.

Update from May 10, 2011: I just saw a summary of the number of similar complaints (5/10/11). 484 complaints for 2002 Explorers, 378 for 2003s, 452 for 2004s and even 108 for 2005s. Only GOD knows how many others are out there that didn't get reported. Ford should step up and fix them, if only for the PR benefit. I also got an email from a freind in Virginia concerning a recent news article that speaks of a class action suite by Virginians against Ford for this defect. Maybe a united class action suite is the way to go.

- , Riva, MD, USA

Oct 062010

Explorer LX V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

I am becoming very unhappy with this Ford Explorer...I love the car as for the way it handles and the space, but always something wrong...with so few miles. It has never been driven all that much. Just around the my area, long distance is with another car.

I always thought of Ford as a good buy, but all this makes me wonder...just what does one go out and buy today...recalls on all Brands......sick of this!!!

- , Angier, NC, USA

Oct 102009

the tail gate on my 2003 explorer is cracked. As of today it is totally cracked to the bottom of lift. It looks awful and i hate it. I cannot afford to pay to have it fixed. Ford really sticks and apparently does not care about anyone but themselves and making money. This is the last ford they will ever make money on from me. I will NEVER buy another FORD. How can I fix it myself?????

- , Dunellen, NJ, USA

Oct 202010

Last week I found a crack in the panel below the rear window. My first instinct was to see if other Ford owners have had the same issue. I shall be contacting Ford shortly...but won't hold my breath for help with this issue.

- , Springfield, OR, USA