CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

6.6

1. Ford should recall (222 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (143 reports)
  4. replace the panel (28 reports)
  5. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (13 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 16 of 27)

Sep 302009

Explorer LX 3.2L V6

I have the same problem with this piece. I don't know when FORD MOTOR COMPANY will recall this, because there are too many explorer with this same problem.

- , Chambersburg, PA, USA

Feb 202008

Explorer V8

I have a crack also. I do think Ford should pay for the repairs.. Cause I also notice that when i wash my explorer It kills the battery because, rain gets in there and cause the lights to go on.. So when there is an electrical fire. It's a problem, How many complaints do they need..

- , Holland, MA, USA

Oct 162009

Explorer XLT V6

"Cracked Rear Panel" I'm somewhat surprised at how many complaints about this same issue there are. I hope my posting will be the one to put it over the top for Ford to fix this problem. I like Ford products but as a warning this type of thing will keep people away from future purchases. Come on Ford do the right thing.

- , St Clair Shores, MI, USA

Sep 152009

Explorer XLS 4.0L V

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

I am joining the club of Explorer owners with the crack issue in the rear plastic piece beneath the rear window.

Discovered it in a parking lot and was thinking that somebody had cut it with a sword, at that time was a 2-3" long and few days later cracked all the way.

Contacted a FORD body shop in Oregon and asked them how much the fix will be and response was about $450. One thing that I was worried, if water gets inside and causes corrosion to the rear windshield wiper motor or even more cracks or damage. The body shop told me that the glass goes all the way to the bottom. I visually inspected it and confirmed that the plastic appears to be just a decorative addition and water getting in the crack is not a big issue, since I will never pay for that to be fixed. Just as some people already mentioned the plastic peace expands when directly exposed to sun light (on warm days) and the crack becomes "thin" (see photo). On cold days it expands to 1/16" - 1/8" (2-3 mm) and therefore becomes wider and more visible.

Contacted Ford at 1-800-392-3673 and filed a complaint, they recommended dealer to take a look and evaluate and go from there. We will see.

- , Des Moines, WA, USA

Jul 032009

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

I have a 2003 Explorer,and the lower panel below the rear window is cracked. I have seen four Explorers that have this same problem here in Georgia. I know this is not an isolated incident. Ford has a problem and should pay to replace this panel free of charge to customers.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 272009

- , Lorain, OH, USA

Jun 272009

Explorer

We noticed our cracked rear window panel when rinsing car with water hose thought it was a piece of string while drying with cloth noticed that it was a crack in the fiberglass window panel.Tried to cover it with a God bless America sticker but found out it was fiberglass. Then tried to fill it in with bondo and broke loose both times filled in. Found out the panel was very costly and ford motors wont replace free of charge (no call backs on this) Noticed another one that has 1/2 of it missing don't know if wind blew it out. While in W. Va. noticed 2 more exact same cracks. We put pin stripping over it to cover and so far so good, but we know other 03 explorer drivers will know why the pin stripe is there. (looks pretty cool) Last week we replaced the tires cause there was a loud humming sound, though we needed tires, although they looked fairly good. Sound still there. Today, Sept 30th, 2009 got worried and took into our mechanic and drove around the block and said the left front wheel bearing went out and had to be replaced and called us to say brakes & rotors were also needed. Cost a bunch unexpected and still have the crack! If only Henry Ford could see us now he'd be tossing in his grave.

- , Lorain, OH, USA

May 102006

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I have filed a complaint from everyone from the NHTSA to the BBB including the Consumer Affairs Dept. of the state Attorneys General office in La. I did get a reply from the attorney generals office today and they will notify the local dealer of my complaint. They are to get back with me when the dealer responds to the complaint. My next stop is to picket the dealer!!!!!!!!!!

- , West Monroe, LA, USA

Sep 052009

Explorer SXT V6

The crack showed up approximately 2 inches to the left side of the ford emblem on the back trim panel. All of the 2003 explorers that I have seen have this problem. I thought I was a lucky one who had been able to avoid it. But, it showed up over the weekend 2 weeks ago. I think it is because the plastic is contracting at a different rate than the metal underneath. When it gets hot, the crack closes up, when it is cold it opens to as much as 1/8th of an inch.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 152009

Explorer XLT Eddie Bauer V8

Just came out to my car yesterday and it happened to me. Thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones and wouldn't have to deal with it. I called Ford customer service and the girl didn't even know what I meant by the back rear panel. So her answer was "let me look and see if I show any recalls on your vehicle". I tried to explain to her Ford won't recall it, but they should! She was very unhelpful! This sucks because you spend a lot of money to drive around in something that looks nice. And now I am driving a car that is obviously damaged. Wish Ford would step up and take responsibility for the defect!!!

- , Brookville, PA, USA

May 122009

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

well it seems that i am on the same boat as well one day i was leaving work i noticed a crack in the rear panel door i was shocked so i called ford company that i purchased the suv they said sorry we are not going to fix it its wear and tear , after reading each complaints , i will never deal with ford as long as i live , i tried selling the suv as is with cracks no lucks , yes i should get it fixed but the truth is i will like to show what you get when you by ford

- , Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

May 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

just like magic one day good the next day two huge cracks. I hope we, the costumer, get a solution from ford company and get a recall from them

or they will lose costumers I mean $$$$ bigg$$$$

- , Linden, NJ, USA

Apr 152005

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Problem occurred between signing the deal and vehicle pick up. Dealer fixed before we took delivery.

- , Middletown, NY, USA

May 152006

Explorer 4.0L V6

When I first noticed the crack I went to the dealer and was told that it was cosmetic and the warranty had expired so they would not repair it. They did mention that I could pay for the repair around $300. The rear panel has cracked numerous more times over the past three years and now the glass lift is showing door ajar continuously. My local dealer still claims it is cosmetic and not a defect in the manufacturing of the car. The price has also gone up in the past three years but it looks like I am going to have to have it fixed. The cracks have got so bad I think the glass will fall out of the lift gate.

- , Alamogordo, N.M, USA

Aug 132009

Explorer V6

Like most of the other comments, it just occurred all by itself. I noticed it one morning. I wonder if it has to do with the heat of summer? I haven't yet gotten it fixed--still checking out prices and options. It sure looks terrible. I didn't realize it was such a common problem--seemed like a "fluke" as nothing had hit or damaged it....unitl just today I saw another Ford Explorer of the same year and color (red) with the EXACT same crack! It seems to me an obvious manufacture's defect. I really hope Ford takes responsibility--but won't hold my breathe on that one.

- , Electric City, WA, USA

Aug 232009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I don't understand all the complaints and Ford chooses to ignore the problem. This happened two years ago and I complaind to Ford for about 3 months and there answer was there was no recall an there probability wouldn't be.

- , Commerce Township, MI, USA

May 292009

Explorer

Same as many others, woke up one day to find the beneath my rear window cracked. Since then, I have noticed NUMEROUS explorers with the same defect. I will NEVER buy a Ford again.

- , Covina, CA, USA

Aug 182009

Explorer UX Limited 4.6L V8

I bought the car secondhand only 8 months ago. The car is in really good condition and I have enjoyed driving it. It was extremely disappointing to find the crack today. Even more so after finding all these complaints. I expected more from Ford. They should take responsibility for this obvious design fault.

- , Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Feb 222009

Explorer

Daughter was driving this car, came home one weekend from college and low and behold a crack appeared 1 day after she returns. I had placed some items in the back of the car on Saturday morning. Sunday morning I go out to one of the other cars and happen to look at the back of the Explorer and there is a huge crack on the back of the car. Called dealership that I purchased the car from (brand new) and body shop manager said the dealership would take care of it at no cost to me. Daughter took car back to school and I took car back to have repair done, at no cost to me. Manager said things had changed and they would not repair without me paying approx 450.00. Originally he told me about the crack without me even having to go into deails about it. He said it had happened many, many times and it is something that Ford was aware of. Grant you, my car is no longer under warranty but I dont think that I should be responsible for something that I had no control over. Starting on Monday, I will be writing everyone and there brother; I am even taking it to the media. Ford should have recalled these cars when this first started to happen. I dont car how old the vehicle is or how many miles we have on our cars, we should not have to spend over $400 getting this crack repaired. I will never buy another Ford product unless they take care of this flaw that was known to the company. I think we should start a complaint all over the country regarding this issue. Thanks for letting me rant. As I told the service manager, I dont appreciate him saying that he would repair the car and then changed his mind.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 102008

Explorer XLT 4.0L Sohc

JUST WOKE UP ONE DAY AND FOUND THE PANEL CRACKED UNDER THE REAR WINDOW. DON'T KNOW HOW IT GOT THERE, JUST SHOWED UP. IT IS DEFINITELY AN EYE SORE.

- , Greensburg, LA, USA