CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

9.3

$2,500.00

1. new transmission (2 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Oct 282014

Explorer Eddie Bower 4.0L

I got a text from the wife. O/D light flashing .... check engine light on, and now the transmission light is now on. .. I Googled it ....OMG .... I never knew this was an issue. We had the truck for years, never a problem till now. Looks like I need to drop in a chunk of change into the truck now. Perfect timing close to the holidays when I need to save money for other reasons ....

I heard there is a kit to buy and install .... or just put in a new trans .... I am researching a solution that will get us back in a family vehicle we can safely use.

I am open to others and their possible solutions.

- , Bethlehem, PA, USA

Feb 022011

Explorer LS

The mechanic that I went to says this is a common problem for Explorers! First my transmission started slipping than the O/D Light started blinking went right to the mechanic he opened it up and the band was broken. Does anyone know if Ford is standing behind there transmission problems?

- , Freehold, NJ, USA

Mar 012009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L

I had bought an extended warranty and had noticed intermittent slippage before the warranty ran out, however, the mechanic said there was a small leak from a seal. Unfortunately they would have to lower whole transmission to fix leak. Was told it wouldn't be a problem. Within the last month, noticed it slipping more & just sounded different on highway. Took to dealership & turns out a band broke & damaged the casing. Am now having to spend over $3500 to replace whole transmission. The mechanics indicated this was a common problem in the 2003 explorer. Did some research and turns out there are a high number of transmission failures on this model at low mileage with consistent reports of "faulty box". Apparently Ford knows about this problem and will only say it's a good transmission, just doesn't last long. Why didn't they do a recall? I'm a 43 year old female and drive my explorer very carefully (no hotrodding, excessive acceleration, etc) and there is no way that a transmission should consistently fail at less than 100,000 miles. If it does, there is a problem & Ford should have stood behind their product...especially if they want people to buy more of their vehicles. In today's economy, I would think that would be a major concern for Ford (but apparently it isn't). I sent them a complaint, however, have never received any acknowledgment!!!

- , Newton, KS, USA