6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (292 reports)
  3. replace panel (112 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 17 of 38)

Nov 262008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L

MY FAILURE OCCURRED FIRST REALLY COLD NITE AFTER STARTED PARKING CAR OUTSIDE GARAGE.PROBLEM IS OBVIOUSLY A DESIGN ERROR IN THAT TWO MATERIALS ( GLASS/PLASTIC) WERE LAMINATED TOGETHER WITH 2 SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT EXPANSION COEFFICIENTS---ONE WANTS TO EXPAND MORE THAN THE THAN THE OTHER FOR A GIVEN TEMP RANGE. THE RESULTANT TENSION IS MORE THAN THE PLASTIC CAN STAND, AND IT BREAKS. IT'S FORD'S FAULT, BUT IT COSTS SO MUCH TO REPAIR, AND WITH IT'S PREVALENCE (AROUND HERE, 30 TO 50 PERCENT), I CAN SEE FORD'S STANCE, SINCE IT'S COSMETIC. I KNOW SOME FOLKS, KNOWING THAT THE CRACK IS BOUND TO HAPPEN, HAVE PUT A RELIEF CRACK IN THEMSELVES SQUARELY IN THE CENTER OVER THE FORD EMBLEM---LOOKS A LOT NEATER THAN THE RANDOM CRACK. WISH I HAD DONE THAT. SURE NOT GOOD ADVERTISING FOR FORD. EXPLORER OWNERS I KNOW HAVE MADE A GAME OUT OF IT WHEN TRAVELING---COUNTING THE CRACKED ONES VERSUS UNCRACKED.

- , Pendleton, SC, USA

Feb 232011

Explorer V6

I had been seeing Ford explorer with cracks in their lift gates and thinking how dumb could they be to slam their lift gate and crack it. Untill I came out of a Restaurant and saw that mine had a small crack in it.

I have a Eddie Bauer, V6 Special Order Edition with only 46,000 miles on it that I keep it in a garage. The crack started small but now it is from the glass to the end of the panel.

I have the extended warranty but Ford said the cracked is not covered and that if I fix it may crack again after 12 months.

- , Hampton, VA, USA

Feb 252011

Explorer ES 4.0L V6

i think water sits in there and freezes and cracks them i work in the collision repair field and have been replacing them for years and they are urethaned to the back glass so its best to have an auto glass company replace which the whole deal isn't cheap for that reason ive started drilling small holes in the bottom to let the water run out seems to be working no come backs

- , Piqua, OH, USA

Jan 092011

Explorer Limited V6

When I went out to place some articles in the back of my Explorer earlier today noticed that huge crack along the left side of the Ford logo emblem in the plastic under the back window of my 2004 Ford Explorer. I have no clue how this happened especially since there was no damages to this when I took items out of yje back and closed the window.

I have no idea how much this will cost to repair but know that it HAS to be DONE!!!!!!

I see from other posts that others have experienced this same problem and some are hoping for a recall from Ford on it, Any possibility of this happen? I sure hope so!

- , Suwabee, GA, USA

Sep 072009

Explorer LS 4.0L V6

This is obviously a manufacturer defect. After seeing it in my car I started looking around for it in other Explorers. Now I'm seeing it EVERYWHERE; shopping malls, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. It's obvious that it can't be these many careless Ford drivers.

- , Wilmington, NC, USA

Jun 022010

Explorer XLT V6

I noticed this problem on my ford explorer and was very disappointed in the way ford makes their products. i was thinking about buying another ford explorer but now I've changed my mind and going with CHEVY. i think ford should fix this problem for free or recall it. I encourage everyone to think twice before buying a ford explorer.

- , Oceanport, NJ, USA

Nov 072010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

I see a lot of Ford Explorers with the same issue... Every single Ford Explorer I've seen in North Texas have had cracks in the panel below the tailgate window. It just doesn't make sense that this would crack. FORD should have an obligation to fix this for free!!! Certainly makes me think twice about purchasing a Ford in the future...

- , Irving, TX, USA

Nov 022010

Explorer LX 4.0L V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I take very good care of our cars and can't believe the plastic panel below the rear window cracked for absolutely no reason. I noticed a large crack in the painted plastic trim below the rear window as she was ready to pull out of the garage that was not there the night before coming home from work. The crack is all the way through the trim piece from top to bottom in the middle, and it's noticeable. I would like ford to offer to fix this issue. I have noticed other explorers of darker colors having the same crack. I believe this is a manufacturing defect and not damage caused by the vehicle owners,and just one day a took some picture for more 4 different explorer THE SAME PROBLEM,

- , Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Feb 112011

Explorer

Went to get estimate and was told that this has been occurring a lot due to manufacturing failure to use proper rubberizing of window for cold/hot expansion of window. This needs to be corrected and patrons of Ford should not have to be concerned of this occurring. Unappreciated expense when on fixed income. Just had to have transmission and starter replaced. Can't really afford new car at this time, but these expenses are getting to be ridiculous and I can't afford them either.

- , Prairie Village, KS, USA

Jul 142010

Explorer XLS V6

There have been so many complaints on the problem with the cracked panel below the rear window and around the Ford sign and I obviously have the same problem. As I ride anywhere I have started looking at all of the Ford Explorers to see if they are cracked at the same place as mine and it is amazing how many you see that are the same way as mine. I own a 2004 Ford Explorer and I take very good care of my car. I do not understand how Ford can get by with this tremendous problem without issuing a recall to fix this. My entire immediate family drives Ford vehicles which we have 6 of them and we are considering to not buy any more Ford products if they cannot back up their vehicles quality.

- , Montpelier, VA, USA

Feb 242011

Explorer XLT V6

Looks like we get to join the rest of the Explorer owners with the cracked panel under the rear glass on the liftgate around the Ford emblem. Est cost to repair $700 - $900. I'm not a happy camper right now.

Local Ford dealer wouldn't even look at it and referred us to a body shop.

- , Elk Grove, CA, USA

Feb 062011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Keep my cars impeccable! This sucks......need to pay to fix as a crack this bad just look cheap! Not sure what caused it, but insurance won't cover it. Owned Fords my entire life...3 mustang's, 1 Escort, 4 Explorers, 4 different F150"s - F350's! This has got to be the weirdest defect!

- , Stafford Springs, C, USA

Feb 122011

Explorer XLT V6

We have a 2004 Explorer that is my wifes, and she keeps it clean, and it is garage kept. Needless to say that she was very disappointed when she saw the crack on the back of her Explorer. Since then, I have seen two others, the same color (red) and the crack is in the same place, just to the left of the center. I think the supplier of that piece (or Ford) should be responsible for the cost of the replacement of that piece.

Update from Apr 2, 2011: I have replaced the panel. I purchased the panel from Ford, it was painted and installed at the body shop. Body shop said the panel was glued around the outer edge, it had no support in the center. Cost, a little under $400.

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Apr 062010

Explorer LS

I thought this was an isolated incident for my truck, until I noticed other Explores with the same defect! Why hasn't this been recalled??? This should not be an expense to the buyer. I will not be purchasing another Ford.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jan 152011

Explorer Sport V6

Called Ford,they have no recall for this, they said I should get it fixed at my expense, I noticed that their are a lot of explorers out there with the same problem. Ford should be made to fix this problem without the customer paying.

- , North Bergen, NJ, USA

Jan 122011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

Similar problem to everyone else. One day the crack just appears. The vehicle has always been very well maintained.

This is obviously a manufacturer defect. It is a bit ironic for the crack to be so close to the Ford emblem.

I have placed a sign inside the liftgate window that says "Manufacturer Defect - Ford refuses to Fix - Buy Ford products at your own Risk" with a big arrow pointed toward the crack (easy to print off on computer). Also, I call Ford once a week.

Hopefully Ford will wake up and fix this issue before they lose more market share and we lose more jobs to foreign competition.

- , Great Falls, VA, USA

Apr 162008

Explorer XLT V6

I have a vertical crack next to the Ford logo on the back panel. I've spoken with my local Ford dealer and they gave me a $300+ estimate to fix it. However on our honeymoon my wife and I met a guy that works for Ford in Texas who told us that it was, indeed, a recall and Ford should fix it for free (or a small repair cost).

I'm a very loyal Ford owner but this is frustrating to me that this problem is not being taken care of.

- , Athens, GA, USA

Jan 032011

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

The cracked rear panel on Ford Explorer's is a major problem. This is an issue that should be fixed by Ford due to the large number of complaints. Called customer service and they refuse to help. Stay away from Ford motor company.

- , Blounts Creek, NC, USA

Dec 082010

Explorer Limited 5.4L V8

This is definitely a design flaw in this automobile. Ford needs to step up to the plate on this...Had to replace this twice as the first shop had no clew about the sealant PRIMER to attach the replacement panel... be careful if you have this done as the PRIMER is very significant. Many have no idea about the primer so the sealant will not stay attached...I know about is because my plane required the same primer when replacing the windows.

Update from Apr 12, 2015: Side airbags popped at 113,000 miles for no good reason

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Sep 092009

Explorer

Ford needs to recall and fix this issue. Enough is enough. I see at least 4 out of 5 explorers with the same issue. Fix the crack in my rear under the windshield!!!!!!!!!

- , Roanoke, VA, USA