6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (294 reports)
  3. replace panel (115 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 23 of 38)

Aug 272009

Explorer V6

Walked out to my car from the grocery store and thought someone had used a majic marker on the panel below the back window. On closer inspection noted ot was actually a crack. The car only had 47,000 miles. Whats up with that?

- , Tarpon Springs, Fl, USA

Jun 172010

Explorer XLT V6

Just wanted to chalk mine up so its on file. Does water get in? Can I replace and fix it myself easily?

- , Panama City, Ancon, Panama

Sep 092009

Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition V6

Bought this car used but in excellent condition. Looked brand new when we bought it. About 2-3 months later, one day I just happened to notice a crack in the panel below the rear glass. Not much to mention at first. Now, with the heat of SC and time, the panel now bows out from the back of the car and is definitely an eye sore! Makes my nice car look ugly. Hoping to get it fixed, I just don't think with so many complaints on the same issue the $ should come out of my pocket. Not to mention all the Fords like mine that I now notice with the same problem that haven't complained.

- , Darlington, SC, USA

Jan 052010

Explorer LX

I suddenly noticed the crack one morning on the back panel, and then started noticing them on every other Explorer I see!!! I can't believe that Ford won't do the right thing and recall this---OBVIOUSLY there is a problem with the way they were MADE!!!! SO SAD that we the people get stuck once again having to pay for something that we have no control over...

- , Dacula, GA, USA

Feb 012010

Explorer XLT V6

Same issues as the others. Came out one morning and saw the crack. Shame on Ford for not fixing this obvious defect!

- , Middletown, DE, US

Feb 112010

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Hey: I'm writing about the rear door on my 2004 F Explorer. a 7inch crack under the rear window to the right of hatch handle has come from no wear and with no signs of contact from anything. Now that its on my Explorer I notice it on several others. these other explorers are also clean and with out other damage except for the crack.could this be faulty material or plastics. ? PS this crack is always on the plastic panel under the window and may be to the left or right of the hatch release handle.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 012009

Explorer XLT

Walked outside on day and there was a huge crack under the back window. Just another problem that Ford refuses to fix and admits no fault to even though 1 out of every 3 explorers I see on the road has the same problem. They should be sued for having the slogan "Built Ford Tough"

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 182008

Explorer XLT

so I thought it would be nifty to park next to the exact same car as mine once a long time ago in this parking lot right? so I do, and when I was walking back to my car I noticed that the crack in the rear plastic window panel I thought I was responsible for, was IDENTICAL to the crack in the persons explorer next to me. I thought it might be a coinsidence but after looking closely...it was TO THE T!!!!! Then I found this site. Thanks ford.

- , Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Feb 112010

Explorer V6

Same problem as everyone else has described. Just closed hatchback one cold evening and crack, there it was. I was astounded. Like everyone else I too, started looking at every explorer and have been amazed at how many have the same crack just below the rear window next to the emblem. I haven't call Ford yet but will be interested in what they say. Wonder if there will be a class action law suit. Should be!

- , Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Nov 012007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I am so frustrated!! A week after I bought my car, it cracked right under the back exterior window. The dealership would not fix it and toold me it would take $1000 to fix!! That is ridiculious!!!! Ford needs to do something about all of these complaints or they will lose many many buyers!!

- , Tyler, TX, USA

Feb 062010

Explorer XLT V6

Same issue as the others. Came out one day and found the crack. Unbelievable that this isn't covered considering this is a consistent issue for many.

- , Middletown, DE, US

Dec 012009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

i too have the rear plastic panel that is cracked by the emblem-i have taken it to the dealer and same response is there is no recall-this is also making my liftgate ajar light and sensor go off repeatedly-very disappointed with the response from Ford and the dealer-i have also noticed numerous other Ford and Mercury suv with the same problem-this also adds to the rear transmission that has had to be repaired 2x already-any updates from Ford suggestions

- , Greenwood, IN, US

Apr 012010

Explorer XSL 4.0L

ford need to fork the money out like Toyota and fix this problem for once!!!!!!

- , Ila, GA, USA

Jul 262008

Explorer XLT 4.6L V6

When the crack first occurred, we contacted the Ford dealer where we purchased this truck. We asked them if there was a recall on this part because we had seen several in our area that were cracked.We were told there was no recall and the part was not under warranty because it is not a drive train or electrical issue. We decided we did not have the money to repair it at the time because we were expecting a baby at the time. Just 1 month after the crack appeared, the back glass shattered and fell out! As it turns out, the back glass runs under the fiberglass and after you open and close the top portion of the hatch too many times, the glass can not hold up to the pressure and busts!! We now have a junkyard hatch on the back because after the glass breaks it costs about $600.00 to repair! This problem SUCKS and Ford will not fix it until someone is killed!

- , Allentown, PA, USA

Feb 102010

Explorer XLT V6

This is an obvious problem that Ford needs to address to keep customers happy. I've seen countless numbers of Explorers around the state that has the same exact problem. How about not spending some money on an ad campaign and spend the money fixing customers cars that have an issue like this one. Good PR would be worth a lot more than someone watching a commercial on TV! If Ford doesn't do anything, this may be the last ford that I own!

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Explorer

Crack below back window next to ford emblem. Ford's reaction to this problem will dictate whether or not I buy another Ford ever again. This is my 3rd ford vehicle (Ranger, Explorer, Explorer). Out of principle, I cannot buy another unless they do the right thing.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 102010

Explorer XLS V6

First and regularly, the front visor plastic attachments keep cracking -- you would think that Ford would manufacture them out of Nylon and not the cheap plastic that is presently being used -- sounds like a racket to me. Next, the crack on the exterior rear panel where the window is located -- I am afraid that water will seep in and do damage to the interior wall of the back door. Cheap plastic again.

What do I do???

- , Miami, FL, USA

Nov 212009

Explorer LX 3.2L V6

Apparently there are MANY of us out there with this very same crack on the back panel of our cars! I too have no scratches, dents, etc except for this unsightly crack! This has caused a VERY annoying rattle! I know it's coming from this crack! I'm afraid it's going to rattle so much that the window is going to break. There is not a day that goes by that I don't see another Ford with this crack! Come on Ford...fix this problem!!

- , The Colony, TX, US

Jan 162010

Explorer XLT 5.4L

Just like the other complainers, I came out of the bowling alley and put my equipment in the back and saw that the panel was cracked in half on the left side of the ford emblem. I thought maybe water got behind it causing it to freeze and crack the panal. But with reading several of the complaints here, I think that this was not the case. I looking at trying to replace this panal myself, if I can figure out how to replace it.

- , Nebo, KY, USA

Oct 162009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I first thought someone must have hit my car with their fist and cracked the back panel but then I began to see more and more explorer's with the same thing. Between this and my visors and my lumbar support and my rear passenger window, I'm wondering what's next? I love my ford but its not loving my back!

- , Whittier, CA, USA