6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (292 reports)
  3. replace panel (112 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 25 of 38)

Nov 182009

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I have owned this Explorer since we bought it brand new in August 2004. I have through the years made sure that the it is almost always clean and polished. Even now it looks brand new, if it has one door ding its too much. I have always taken great pride in the cars that I have owned through out my life and make sure they look great You can imagine how I felt when I so the rear panel with a crack. I got feeling sick asking myself how could this have happened? I took it to the dealer thinking it may be covered under the highly paid for extended warranty. But to my surprise the dealer said "sorry but it is not covered under the warranty. I felt my blood pressure rising to a boiling point. But they did offer to have it fixed for around $ 450.00 . Since then I have noticed many Explorer of different years with the same problem. FORD should take the responsiblity for the design flaw dealing with this problem, after all everyone paid a great deal of money for the EXPLORER. Please if anyone has a solution getting FORD to fix this I would appreciate if they would let me know. Thank You

- , Alhambra, CA, USA

Dec 202009

Explorer 4.0L V6

I have taken very good care of the vehicle for 5 years and now just to see that below the rear window, the plastic cracked right in half . It just totally ruins the image of the vehicle. I will have it fixxed and will probably do it myself. But to get the part and paint it to match the car and look as good as new is no small task. It is not a problem of abuse or misuse, and I too think a good company should support such a problem. I am lucky enough to be able to keep the cost down by doing this work myself, but I truly feel sorry for those of you who don't have the garage or tools to do such a repair. Its a shame to take care of a nice car and have this happen and the company not back it up.

- , Woodbine, NJ, USA

Nov 232009

Explorer

I can't believe that I Googled this problem and saw SOOOO many people with the same complaint!! What is required by us as consumers for FORD to fix this? I saw another Explorer with the same problem driving to work this morning!! Something needs to be done!

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 092010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Have been a loyal Ford owner for many years & am disappointed they haven't had a recall for this. When I first noticed the crack I thought my Explorer had been vandalized and almost filed a police report. Then I came across this website & am glad it saved me from that embarrassment. Funny how once your car has this defect, you notice just how many other Explorers out there have the same issue!

Update from Mar 10, 2010: Ford dealer will fix it for $400 but will not guarantee it won't happen again. He told me that at least it won't rust since it's plastic.

- , Mt. Healthy, OH, USA

Sep 012009

Explorer LX V6

I will never buy another Ford. I am truly unhappy about my truck tearing to pieces and everyone from the people I bought it from to the insurance company giving me the run-around abour why they can't fix it. My panel in the back under the window is tearing to pieces and no one seems to care. I don't want to have ti dish out more money to pay for myself. What happens when it tears up again? Built Ford Tough? LOL, I don't think so. Built tough enough to drive off the lot, then you are own your own with the fixing all their f-ups!

- , Florence, AL, USA

Jan 122010

Explorer XLT V6

Same as all the other posters, just went to open the hatch and there the horrible crack was, right through the middle of the Ford emblem, from the glass to the bottom. The Explorer has been garaged since day 1, there was no impact or slamming of the hatch -- it just cracked by itself. Horrible! Ford should definitely recall this part!

- , Belmont, NC, USA

Jan 132010

Explorer

i walked outside today at work and noticed a HUGE crack in my door rear panel door !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not only is this awful looking i cant afford to get it fixed . is there any recall on this or a lawsuit i can sign up for ?

- , Columbia, TN, USA

Jan 112010

Explorer

Called Ford cause this is a defect that they should take care of, but instead they said try your insurance company! Well this is Fords defect not mine or my insurance company. Ford should stand up and take care of this what kind of car just cracks? Where is ford? Never again will I purchase a ford..........

- , Cumming, GA, USA

Jan 012010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Neighbor's Exploder has the same problem. Mine is always parked in the garage (we work from home). Can't believe there isn't a secret recall on this one. This is an excellent vehicle, but Ford must learn to stand behind their products. Back to Toyota for me.

- , Garland, TX, USA

Jan 082010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

does anyone know where i can buy a new panel? if you have info. please e-mail me the info.

Mike

- , Chattanooga, TN, USA

Jan 082010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

Just came out this morning and it was cracked. Same as everyone els including my neighbor's who's cracked two weeks ago and same as everyone else. just to the left of the ford emblem and with around 70,000 miles.

Has to be a defect for it to occur in so many and at the same place.

Ford must issue a recall! BETWEEN THIS ISSUE AND THE NOTORIOUS TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS WITH THE 2003 AND 2004 MODELS, THERE IS NO DOUBT THESE CARS WERE MADE CUTTING CORNERS..

Ra4dan

Germantown, TN

- , Germantown, TN, USA

Jan 042010

Explorer V6

FORD YOU NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM! Over 200 complaintes should be your first clue that your company is using cheap stuff to make it's cars wih. I went outside one morning and there it was, a huge crack in the SUV!

- , Fort Bragg, NC, USA

Nov 272009

Explorer V8

I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer V-8. I recently noticed while walking around the vehicle on a cold morning that a crack had developed around the Ford emblem and had cracked completely through! I thought no way this is happening to my car! I have noticed this in passing other Fords explorers too. As this is clearly a defect either in the placing of the emblem during manufactering of the vehicle or a defect in the materials used to make the door, why haven't this been recalled in ALL Ford explorers. It seems that this part could break off at any time. This is obviously no fault of the owner. What does it take before the coorporations recall something? This problem and other issues I have encountered with this year make and model has left a less than desirable taste in my mouth as to future purchases of anything made by Ford. Was this a bad year or what?

- , Starke, FL, USA

Dec 282009

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

Problem just showed up one day. Crack goes all the way between the back window and the bottom of the panel. Window still latches but looks awful. Definitely will affect resale value.

- , Williamston, SC, USA

Oct 172009

Explorer XLT V6

I dont believe I should have to pay to fix this. It is a faulty factory part. I didnt breakit and I will continue to write in until ford pays for this panel to be fixed. If writing in I will start contacting the news channels and new papers I know there are plenty of others who would be glad to send in complaints about this. I would appreciate ford to replace this panel at no cost to me since it is no fault of mine. thank you very much

- , Ladson, SC, USA

Dec 092009

Explorer LX V6

I'm done with Ford, with only 50,000 miles the thing is falling apart. It's never pulled a trailer...OMG, can you imagine if it was ever used as a work horse????

- , Grass Valley, Califirnia, USA

Nov 182008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Never noticed how many were broken, till it happened to mine.

- , Sparta, TN, USA

May 132007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

After owning several American cars over the years with absolutely no luck at all, problems up the yin yang, I decided to purchase a used Explorer for my wife. Perfect condition and low mileage a big plus. A couple of months into owning the vehicle I saw the cracked lift gate. I immediately questioned my wife on what she had done. This was news to her. The crack was way too high for someone to have hit her. I come to find out, through Ford, that this is a common problem that they are aware of, but will not fix unless I pay an ungodly amount of money.

I'd like to know how they sleep at night knowing they sold a piece of junk and will not own up to it. This is definitely not helping my perception of American car makers!

- , Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Oct 022009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I woke up one morning to find a hideous crack to the left of the Ford emblem on the liftgate. Ford would be happy to repair if I had purchased an extended warranty. What a racket!! My last Ford. Hello Toyota!!

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

Sep 012008

Explorer V6

Waited for chance to look for recall and was suprised to find none, found this site and hope more people will wiite complants about the panels that cracking in half, just like most of the same modelsl I see on the road with the same problem.

- , Porter Ranch, CA, USA