6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (294 reports)
  3. replace panel (115 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 25 of 38)

Jun 302009

Explorer XLT V6

Cracked back panel around Ford emblem. Since this happened to me, I've noticed 9 out of 10 Ford explorers have this same problem. Ford should agree to fix this at no charge, or else no previous owner will, most likely, ever purchase another Ford

vechicle. They know this is a defect, because shortly after the back panel was redesigned.

- , Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Aug 012008

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I had went to Capitol Ford in San Jose and displayed the crack and contacted Ford Motor Company via the Dealership. The Dealership said that Ford Motor Company would not fix because it was not related to a safety issue! The real problem is that the rubber mounts on the inside of the panel, fall off and the tension of the top panel warps the back panel,causing cracks in the panel. Ford should recall and fix, the window may crack and will be a safety issue. I see many other drivers on the road, whenever I get a chance to speak with them, I tell them what I did and show them the problem with the missing mounts causing the broken panel.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 122009

Explorer XLT

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

Just would like to have this recalled. We had noticed a few other ford explorers with the same crack.

- , Clover, SC, USA

Jan 282010

Explorer XL 3.2L V6

Could not believe it when I saw it. I did not hit anything and nothing hit me. The crack extends the entire width of the panel. From reading all of the other complaints I am not sure what recourse I have. I do know I am going to contact Ford, the BBB and any other agency I can think of. I have had a couple of other problems with the hatch door since I bought the car with it rattling. I took it back twice and they could not find anything wrong, of course. With the positive PR Ford is getting now, you would think they would want to address this issue in a positive way.

Update from Feb 8, 2010: I contacted Ford Corporate, they said to contact my local Ford Dealer. I did and was told that there wasn't anything they could do. The service writer said that he had seen a few of these problems. It would not be covered under any warranty even if I had a warranty. They said their body shop would give me a free estimate. He also said to call Customer relations at 1-800-392-3673. The body shop manager said that he had never seen anything like this. The estimate was $1111.97. I will update after I talk to Customer relations.

- , Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Dec 302009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Ford should exercise corporate responsibility for a design defect and repair the "crack" that is occuring. Sufficient evidence has been shown and complaints lodged about this. Another family member incurred the same "crack" on their 2004 Explorer. However, it occurred while at the Ford Dealer for other repair work -- so the dealer stood good for his reputation and repaired for free.

I wasn't so fortunate. The crack extends from the top to the bottom of the rear window tailgate panel, just to the left of the FORD LOGO. It expands and contracts with the weather of the day. Thanks Ford! Do the right thing and recall/repair.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 082009

Explorer XLT

I came out to my car one day to go to work and notice the 3 inch crack that was in the rear panel of my liftgate. I couldn't believe it. I searched for a scratch to see if some one had hit me or if I had backed into something, but found nothing. My parents who were helping me pay for the car were outraged. The Ford dealer where I bought it said, they had heard of explorers having that problem, but there was nothing they could do. A quote from a body shop was more than I could afford. Over the next month, I watched and the crack got wider and longer, until it eventually split through the entire panel. I am outraged at Ford for not doing a recall, fixing the problem, or doing some kind of reparations. Ford quality now has a poor image in my opinion. I will never buy another Ford vehicle in my lifetime and neither will anyone in my family, or friend circle. I would like to hear Ford's theory on how I am ever going to trade this vehicle or sell it. I minds well, drive it until the wheels fall off, which may be sooner that I thought.... I thought I was helping the American economy by purchasing a Ford.. I WAS DEAD WRONG. I GOT SCREWED.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 162010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

It appears my Explorer was not immune to this defect, because it now shares the same cracked liftgate window applique. Since then, I have noticed Explorers all over my county in North Carolina with the same crack. I contacted the Ford Motor Company and they refused to help with this problem, but were prompt to put in a plug for their local dealerships, who quoted me $350.00 to repair this problem. I have always been loyal to Ford, but I'll never own another. They used to make good quality vehicles and stand behind them, but not anymore. If 'ol Henry only knew what his company has become.

Update from Mar 29, 2010: I'm hearing more and more negative comments about FORD. I just don't understand...., with so many complaints, why doesn't FORD help with the problem. Don't they realize the best advertisements for their product are nice shiny Explorers driving around on Main Street, USA? More than some corny car commercial, what sells vehicles is when you see a sharp, clean car pull up beside you at a stop light, and you tell yourself, "Man, I've got to have one of those!" However, when you see the same vehicles with the same defect, you know you're not paying money for that.

- , Lincolnton, NC, USA

Jan 042010

Explorer Eddie Baurer 4.0L V6

Like so many others on this page no one, Ford or my auto insurance, wants to accept responsibility. Ford declines to accept responsibility because I didn't continue my warranty on this vehicle. Ford should be ashamed of themselves and the lie they advertise across the air waves, tv, etc. Ford greedily accepted money for a bail out from the government, but refuses to stand behind the product they produced. This problem is not random, it's occurring everywhere and to everyone. Sure the economy is tough now, but as a consumer I'm disappointed in a company I have supported for many years. I currently disabled and can't afford to pay out of pocket to have my truck repaired. In all likehood this will be my last vehicle. I'm filing a consumer complaint with my State Attorney's office, the BBB, Ford and any other channel that will listen. At the bear minimum I want other consumers to BEWARE of Ford and their lousy attitude when it comes to standing behind their vehicles. Tell your friends, co-workers, neighbors or anyone who will listen to avoid Ford vehicles, because in the end Ford will avoid you, unless you're willing to dish out more bucks!

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 042010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

The crack appeared out of the blue. We took it back to the dealer and we were told that they are aware of this happening to other people but it was not under warranty and if we want to fix it we would have to pay for it. Never again will we buy a Ford or recommend one to anyone else. Buyer beware!!!!!

- , Wayne, NJ, USA

Nov 182009

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I have owned this Explorer since we bought it brand new in August 2004. I have through the years made sure that the it is almost always clean and polished. Even now it looks brand new, if it has one door ding its too much. I have always taken great pride in the cars that I have owned through out my life and make sure they look great You can imagine how I felt when I so the rear panel with a crack. I got feeling sick asking myself how could this have happened? I took it to the dealer thinking it may be covered under the highly paid for extended warranty. But to my surprise the dealer said "sorry but it is not covered under the warranty. I felt my blood pressure rising to a boiling point. But they did offer to have it fixed for around $ 450.00 . Since then I have noticed many Explorer of different years with the same problem. FORD should take the responsiblity for the design flaw dealing with this problem, after all everyone paid a great deal of money for the EXPLORER. Please if anyone has a solution getting FORD to fix this I would appreciate if they would let me know. Thank You

- , Alhambra, CA, USA

Dec 202009

Explorer 4.0L V6

I have taken very good care of the vehicle for 5 years and now just to see that below the rear window, the plastic cracked right in half . It just totally ruins the image of the vehicle. I will have it fixxed and will probably do it myself. But to get the part and paint it to match the car and look as good as new is no small task. It is not a problem of abuse or misuse, and I too think a good company should support such a problem. I am lucky enough to be able to keep the cost down by doing this work myself, but I truly feel sorry for those of you who don't have the garage or tools to do such a repair. Its a shame to take care of a nice car and have this happen and the company not back it up.

- , Woodbine, NJ, USA

Nov 232009

Explorer

I can't believe that I Googled this problem and saw SOOOO many people with the same complaint!! What is required by us as consumers for FORD to fix this? I saw another Explorer with the same problem driving to work this morning!! Something needs to be done!

- , Virginia Beach, VA, US

Jan 092010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Have been a loyal Ford owner for many years & am disappointed they haven't had a recall for this. When I first noticed the crack I thought my Explorer had been vandalized and almost filed a police report. Then I came across this website & am glad it saved me from that embarrassment. Funny how once your car has this defect, you notice just how many other Explorers out there have the same issue!

Update from Mar 10, 2010: Ford dealer will fix it for $400 but will not guarantee it won't happen again. He told me that at least it won't rust since it's plastic.

- , Cincinnati, OH, US

Sep 012009

Explorer LX V6

I will never buy another Ford. I am truly unhappy about my truck tearing to pieces and everyone from the people I bought it from to the insurance company giving me the run-around abour why they can't fix it. My panel in the back under the window is tearing to pieces and no one seems to care. I don't want to have ti dish out more money to pay for myself. What happens when it tears up again? Built Ford Tough? LOL, I don't think so. Built tough enough to drive off the lot, then you are own your own with the fixing all their f-ups!

- , Florence, AL, USA

Jan 122010

Explorer XLT V6

Same as all the other posters, just went to open the hatch and there the horrible crack was, right through the middle of the Ford emblem, from the glass to the bottom. The Explorer has been garaged since day 1, there was no impact or slamming of the hatch -- it just cracked by itself. Horrible! Ford should definitely recall this part!

- , Belmont, NC, USA

Jan 132010

Explorer

i walked outside today at work and noticed a HUGE crack in my door rear panel door !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not only is this awful looking i cant afford to get it fixed . is there any recall on this or a lawsuit i can sign up for ?

- , Columbia, TN, USA

Jan 112010

Explorer

Called Ford cause this is a defect that they should take care of, but instead they said try your insurance company! Well this is Fords defect not mine or my insurance company. Ford should stand up and take care of this what kind of car just cracks? Where is ford? Never again will I purchase a ford..........

- , Cumming, GA, USA

Jan 012010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Neighbor's Exploder has the same problem. Mine is always parked in the garage (we work from home). Can't believe there isn't a secret recall on this one. This is an excellent vehicle, but Ford must learn to stand behind their products. Back to Toyota for me.

- , Garland, TX, USA

Jan 082010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

does anyone know where i can buy a new panel? if you have info. please e-mail me the info.

Mike

- , Chattanooga, TN, USA

Jan 082010

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

Just came out this morning and it was cracked. Same as everyone els including my neighbor's who's cracked two weeks ago and same as everyone else. just to the left of the ford emblem and with around 70,000 miles.

Has to be a defect for it to occur in so many and at the same place.

Ford must issue a recall! BETWEEN THIS ISSUE AND THE NOTORIOUS TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS WITH THE 2003 AND 2004 MODELS, THERE IS NO DOUBT THESE CARS WERE MADE CUTTING CORNERS..

Ra4dan