6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (294 reports)
  3. replace panel (115 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 27 of 38)

Nov 162009

Explorer XLS V6

Just like so many others, rear panel below window cracked just to left of "Ford" logo for no apparent reason. Definitely a manufacturers defect.

- , O Fallon, IL, USA

Feb 022009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I had the same problem with my back panel cracking. I thought something had hit my car or someone had slammed the back to hard but I see now it is a problem with the Explorers. I spent $1000 getting it repaired! I asked Ford about a recall and they said no. I think they should recall the Explorer for this.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Oct 022009

Explorer XLT V6

I thought when my girlfriend asked "What did you do to your truck?", she was joking. When she showed me the 5-6inch crack down the lower part of the window hatch I was shocked. I knew I hadn't done anything and looking at it closely there were no signs of anyone else doing anything either. Since we had recently purchased this vehicle used I knew there was no warranty, so I tried to glue it. That didn't work at all and almost looked worse then the crack. I figured we would have to get it replaced when we could save the money. On my way home a few days ago at a stoplight I pulled up behind another Explorer and guess what? Yes, just like the nasty crack on mine this one had it too. I was going to follow the car but thought they might get scared, though I was very curious how or when their crack occurred. I spent all day looking on-line like many of you to find that there were many complaints for this same thing. I called the local Ford dealership and they weren't surprised by it, they actually gave me the Customer Service Number for Ford Motor Company 1-800-241-3673. (Try to keep in mind that we are angry at Ford Motor Company not the poor person answering our calls. Like the rest of us they need to feed their families) I was told by the local Ford it would be approx. $150.00 for the part $100.00 for paint and labor ($100 or more since they have to send it to a body shop to be painted) so at least $350.00. I'm sure when I say that is not pocket change many of you will agree. I guess the thing is to have all of these complaints Ford should buck up and admit they used a part that excuse the expression "SUCKS"!

So the wonderful lady I spoke to kind of said this 1. make your local dealership diagnose the issue 2. call Ford Motor Company 1-800-241-3673 and have a complaint taken down they won't issue a recall till enough complaints are made not gripes on-line but actual complaints. For those of us wanting a real solution we have to follow these steps and make a paper trail. I asked how many complaints do they need and she was unable to tell me she didn't know. I am scared it will cause a accident when it falls off going down the road. Will the glass fall too? I am going to make my paper trail and then contact my attorney through my pre-paid service I have. I'm also filing with the BBB.

- , Meridian, ID, USA

Oct 262009

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

Same as everyone else noticed the crack one day, ford says not under warrenty. The running board cracked and not under warrenty but understood since it is added on but this is the body of the vehicle...it should hold up and if not makes you wonder what will crack or fall off next so I am sending this link to everyone I know and everyone I see that has the same problem and maybe if enough people complain and call the BBU then maybe something will be done.

- , Reidsville, NC, USA

Oct 302009

Explorer XLT V6

I came out of the grocery store yesterday and went to open the back door and noticed a 5 -6 inch crack on the door that wasn't there the day before. I looked around wondering if someone had hit it or something. I wasn't sure what had happened. I realized that it couldn't have been hit or anything because there weren't any dents. Very strange!! It was drivng me nuts about how it got there. I thought I would look online just to see what would cause his type of thing to happen. I couldn't believe all the complaints here!! Exact same thing (left side of the Ford emblem). It's funny the day before we were talking about trading it in, but decided it was still a good car in good shape. It still looked pretty new and ran good and now this! I thought someday I would get a new Explorer, but now I don't think I will ever buy another Ford! I can't see paying $18,000.00 for something and taking good care of it and have this happen for no reason. Unbelievable!!!

- , Burlington, MA, USA

Jun 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

There should be something Ford can do, I shouldn't have to pay for this

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 112008

Explorer XLS 2.8L

At the time it happened, I was covered by Ford's Extended warranty service. The Service rep was supposed to schedule and call me to have the vehicle brought in for repair. I kept checking back and finally the warranty expired. At that time I was told that I had to pay for the repairs or try making a claim through my insurance.

- , Lithia, FL, USA

Oct 092009

Explorer XLS V6

I moved to NY from SC and within the week the back panel cracked. This was in 2006 and my car was still under a full warranty. The body shop told me this was a class wide problem and that it will be covered. So I moved on with my life, and my fixed car. I moved to San Diego, CA and had a perfect 3 years. Well I've had the pleasure to find myself back on the East Coast...specifically RI, and low and behold what happens...it started getting a little colder and I see that infamous crack start forming. It's getting bigger everytime I look at it. I doubt this will be covered again, but we'll see. I think this is a climate issue and the type of plastic or glue they use. Shame on Ford for not being able to fix this.

- , Newport, RI, USA

Oct 172009

Explorer XLT 3.6L

LIKE MANY OTHERS I HAVE OWNED FORDS ALL MY DRIVING YEARS. WITH THE PROBLEM ON MOUNTAINEERS, AVIATORS AND EXPLORERS IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW WHAT FORD IS GOING TO DO IF ANYTHING TO FIX THE PROBLEM ON THE CRACKED REAR PANELS.

- , Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 072009

Explorer

Yet another issue with the EXPLODER.... Can't say we will ever buy another Ford....

- , Upper Black Eddy, PA, USA

Jan 152009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I enjoy telling people about why many japanese cars are preferred by consumers. Car companies complain american workers are the problem. It damn sure wasn't an auto worker that ordered or designed this cheap plastic panel.

- , Sun City, AZ, US

Oct 042009

Explorer

Same as everyone else - one day, I closed the lift and saw what I thought was graffiti - felt it and it was a crack. Will call Ford and see what lies will be told.

- , Castro Valley, CA, USA

Oct 042009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE BBB at www.bbb.org. THIS WILL GET FORD'S ATTENTION.

FILE AGAINST:

Ford Motor Company / Consumer Affairs

16800 Executive Plaza Drive

Dearborn, MI 48126

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Sep 042009

Explorer

Early September I walked out to my car to see that I had a crack on the left side of the ford symbol on the back door. I was not sure how it got there and started looking at other explorers in the area-almost all of them I have seen have a crack. I took it and got a quote to fix it for about $500. Four days ago my car had another crack. I have sealed them and painted over it, but I do not think this is right!!!! I should not have to pay to fix it when I do not even use the back door. I want to replace the part (I think Ford should) but I wonder if a new part will crack again. I take good care of my car and it is in great condition, but these cracks look terrible!!!!!!

- , Ludowici, GA, USA

May 132009

Explorer

Ever since we noticed the crack in the rear panel....we have kept track of other ford explorer 3 out of 5 have crack even some so severe that piece of the body is missing not just cracked..... this needs to be a warrenty issue.

- , Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Sep 172009

Explorer

Crack developed in liftgate body directly under rear window. Runs from window interface, down around emblem, about 8 inches in total. Only have 50,000 miles on 2004 Explorer. Have probably opened and closed the rear door/gate 100 times over 4 1/2 years. Dealer says not under warranty as outside of 3 years, 36,000 miles. Anyone know of any relief coming back from Ford? I buy American, but to have a defect like this show up at less than 50,000 miles is baloney.

- , Boise, ID, USA

Jan 042008

Explorer LX V8

My rear panel is cracked and I noticed other

Explorers had the same problem. Ford should

issue a recall and replace the panel at no

charge.

I plan on calling Ford this week. I would urge you

to do the same.

- , Gainesville, FL, USA

Jun 022009

Explorer XLT V6

Here's another one to add to the 'Crack in the Back'. Maybe I can add two as my son's Mercury Mountaineer cracked in the exact same spot several months before mine?

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 152009

Explorer V8

I went to get the explorer out of the garage and noticed the crack in the panel below the rear hatch window. It was not there the night before. Of course the car is out of warranty. However sense this has happened I have seen approximately 8 other explorers with the same crack. Therefore this must be a common problem and(SHOULD BE A FORD RECALL)

- , Covington, OH, USA

Jul 222009

Explorer XLT V6

One day this summer I walk out to my car parked at work and notice a line running down from under the rear window. Sure enough, a crack. Annoyed, because I knew I did not slam it and nothing else had happened to it, I called our local Ford dealership. They made it sound like that was very unusual. We had purchased the extended warrenty but of course we were over the miles. It was going to cost about $400.00 or more to replace it. Needless to say, it is still there. It really makes me mad to see how many people are having the same issue and Ford is not taking care of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Appleton, WI, USA