6.5

2. replaced plastic trim twice (2 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Apr 152009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

The biggest problem I have with this cracked, falling off rear panel is that it looks like hell. I took very good care of this vehicle; less than 45,000 miles in 5 yrs and this cracked missing panel looks like crap. It affects the over-all appearance of the vehicle. I would not buy another Explorer if I knew this would happen to it. And this is my 3rd one and I did not have this problem with the others.

- , Mandeville, LA, USA

Oct 012011

Explorer

this body defect is very noticeable. I have noticed 75% of this body style on the road with the same problem. I had it replaced under warranty but it happened again. YES ford should be held accountable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , albertville, 73, USA

Nov 272009

Explorer Eddy Bauer V8

This is probably the most annoying complaint I have ever had with Ford. There are thousands of Ford Explorers driving around with a broken plastic panel on the rear hatch.

I have had two fixed. Ford states that it is "company policy" not to cover costs of out of warranty auto's. Poor engineering created the problem and Ford should be accountable for problems that they created.

- , Jensen Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012008

Explorer V6

This plastic (whatever it's made of) panel is 1/2 way hanging off & will probably fall off any day! THEN I'll have to pay for someone elses car to have fixed. I'm a single mom & don't have $300-$400 it takes to fix this. A friend of mine had his wife's fixed & that's how much it cost. I'm PRAYING for a recall & SOON!

- , Greenville, SC, USA