Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Aug 012016

Cracks on rear panel happened a few years ago. I was told it's a common known problem with Ford, but they won't repair it and it's not needed. Now the hatch won't fully close or lock shut due to the parts behind the Ford emblem rusting out due td the cracks. Water has gotten behind it, also the rear wiper will not work due to the water getting through from the cracks. I can now not drive my only truck that fits my family. We were leaving to go out to a family advent, and I noticed the back hatch was open, that is when I found out how damaged it was due to the panel being cracked. I called Ford, they told me I would have to repair it out of my own pocket at a Ford dealership. This could cause a huge issue if I drove and the back widow fully came off while driving, it could have severally hurt someone or damaged another vehicle and or person, or persons. This common issue needs to be corrected and recalled. I'm not the only one!

- Jefferson, WI, USA

May 192016

The panel under the rear lift gate window has cracked 3 times now. This panel cracks near the Ford emblem on either the right or left side. I called Ford and filed a complaint and was told that they have no information on this being an issue. My panel has cracked for the 4th time and Ford is refusing to do anything about it. I have had the vehicle since 2005. I can submit photos if needed to support this matter. The panel appears to crack due to the lift gate flexing when it is opened and closed. In the past 3 years, I have observed "all" the Ford around that year have busted panels and they're telling me there is no problem.....another cover-up in the making!

- Sarasota, FL, USA

May 032016

Paint peeling roof hood differential replaced twice bearings wear out repaired twice back of tailgate panel cracked replaced 3 times

- Allentown, PA, USA

Oct 012015

I have replaced the panel under the rear lift gate window 3 times at a cost of over $ 400 per time. This panel cracks near the Ford emblem on either the right or left side. I called Ford and filed a complaint and was told that they have no information on this being an issue. I am an auto insurance claims adjuster and I see this problem daily on my insured's vehicle. My panel has cracked for the 4th time and Ford is refusing to do anything about it. I have had the vehicle since 2006. I can submit the invoices for my repairs and photos if needed to support this matter. The panel appears to crack due to the lift gate flexing when it is opened and closed. The local Ford dealership said they try to put something behind the panel when they replace it to help reinforce it.

- Moore, SC, USA

Oct 072015

My car was parked in front of my residence on the street, it had not been driven that day. The back window in the tailgate exploded, causing damage to the tailgate. No one was driving it, it had not been touched that day. There was a prior crack in the tailgate which I have seen on other Explorer's, and since learned that it is a defect in the care.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Aug 232015

The rear hatch hinge holding the rear window broke. It happened in a parking lot but the hatch window fell on me.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Aug 012014

Sun visor bracket cracked and disintegrated leaving sun visor blocking my view. Had to pull over and disconnect the wire and remove visor. 2nd incident, pressed button to open rear glass and the hinges snapped ejecting the heavy glass panel at me. Had a child been opening it, they could have been killed. As it was, I caught the glass panel.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Jul 102015

Went to open rear window hatch and right hinge snapped off causing whole rear window panel to fall on me. The left hinge managed to stay in place and was able to get center latch reattached to keep the window panel from completely falling off. Only a matter of time until left hinge snaps. Taking it in for repair but both hinges could have easily snapped and potentially fallen into the roadway. This is a heavy load bearing hinge and if broken when a child opened it could have caused serious injury. I notice this is not uncommon with this particular vehicle and is a danger not only to the owner but potentially to those on the road behind this model.

- Jackson, CA, USA

Jul 012015

2 vertical cracks in upper rear hatch below window

- Wynnewood, PA, USA

Jun 072014

I went to open small window type rear gate and the left hinge broke. I caught the gate before it hit the ground and had to drive very slow to get car home safely.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 042015

Car was parked. I opened rear hatch (just the window part) and the passenger side hinge broke causing hatch to fall down on my head (quite painful!). about a year ago this same thing happened with the drivers side hinge (though I was able to catch it before it hit my head). I had that side repaired, but now it looks corroded so I worry it will happen again.

- Boonsboro, MD, USA

Apr 152015

My rear hatch in the back of my Explorer has a crack in it. Which I think has caused the back window to shift which in turn has caused my door ajar light to flash while the door chimes go off and the interior flicker while you are driving down the road but there are no doors open. The lights flickering make it hard to drive in the night. I think Ford should fix this problem for everyone.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jan 052015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

There is a vertical crack on the top rear lift gate 10" to the left of the vehicle logo toward the rear door. In cold temperatures, the crack is barely visible yet in warmer temperatures, the crack would expand.

- Sun City, CA, USA

Mar 252015

The liftgate glass hinge on my 2004 Ford Explorer broke as I was closing the rear window glass. Without warning it just came undone with the screw popping loose. Cheaply made material of the liftgate glass hinge was clearly the cause, along with a faulty design that allows the bolt to strip out of the hinge.

- Salem, UT, USA

Mar 012007

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Rear cracked panel on 2002-2005 Ford Explorer -when it rains water fry the rear taillights.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jan 142013

Explorer 6-cyl

Liftgate has a crack and the hinge to the liftgate broke due to crack. It is hazardous to drive due to possible falling while driving or parked.

- Keller, TX, USA

Nov 222014

Explorer 6-cyl

I noticed one day that the rear panel of my 2004 Ford Explorer XLT was cracked. There was no crash nor indication of damage from outside source. I believe the cracked formed because of the expansion of water which seeped in throughout the year. There is no recall for this problem and I see the crack on every Explorer on the road within a few years of mine. I need to get a recall in order to fix this problem not caused by me and which everyone else I know who has this model have the same problem.

- Waldwick, NJ, USA

Dec 012014

The back hatch has split next to the Ford sign. It got cold and when I got up to crank my truck I saw was not hit and was in the shed when this happen. I was told it had a recall from someone that has the same thing happen to her. We also have had the transmission replaced.Ford really need to fix this.I can say I will never buy another Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Cleveland, NC, USA

Jul 012012

Explorer 6-cyl

Vertical crack down the middle area of the rear lift door around the Ford emblem.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 172014

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that after opening the rear glass lift gate window, the two aluminum hinges fractured causing the lift gate to fall. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the hinges needed to be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired since the parts were not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Wilton, NY, USA