- January 26: Ford Recalls Ranger Trucks After Driver Killed by Airbag recalls | 15 days ago
- January 22: Ford Ranger Driver Killed by Takata Airbag in South Carolina news | 19 days ago
- January 19: Ford Focus Door Latch Problems Earn Investigation investigations | 22 days ago
- January 10: Investigation Closed Into Ford Edge 22-Inch Alloy Wheels investigations | 31 days ago
- December 29: Ford Recalls 10,000 Vehicles For Engine Problems and Fire Risk recalls | 43 days ago
Rear Differential Failure
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 82,869 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 27 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace rear differential (13 reports)
- not sure (7 reports)
- don't buy ford!! (3 reports)
- rear end was replaced (2 reports)
- repair, never buy a ford 2004 (1 reports)
- whole drivetrain went caused by 4x4 transfer case (1 reports)