- March 22: Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Lawsuit Says Cars Overheat news | 1 days ago
- March 20: Ford Explorer Police Vehicles Get Carbon Monoxide Detectors news | 3 days ago
- March 15: Ford Recalls 2017 Mustangs to Repair Door Handles recalls | 8 days ago
- March 5: Ford Dual-Clutch Transmission Lawsuit Filed in Texas news | 18 days ago
- March 3: Ford Recalls Edge, Lincoln MKX and Lincoln Continental recalls | 20 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 2 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 89,730 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 40 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- engine needs to be replaced (30 reports)
- not sure (8 reports)
- rebuilt engine (2 reports)