- December 18: Ford Recalls 500,000 Mustangs To Fix Exploding Airbags
- December 4: Ford Recalls Mustang Sports Cars and Transit Connect Cargo Vans
- November 25: Ford Cleared in Steering Defect Investigation of 500,000 Cars
- November 18: Ford Fusions Recalled So They Don't Roll Away
- November 23: Ford Explorer Exhaust Fumes Lawsuit Still Breathing
2004 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- engine failure37
- crankshaft pulley failure21
- engine stalls when using cruise control17
- engine stalls/cuts out while driving14
- harmonic balancer failed7
- timing chain broke7
- timing chain guide failure6
- whining sound from engine while driving4
- accelerator stuck3
- loud squealing noise from under hood3
- engine light stays on2
- engine turns over but car won't start2
- feels like it is going to cut out when idling2
- throttle body shorted2
- engine fail safe mode1
- idler pulley noise1
- leaking oil1
- throttle body sensor failure1
- throttle response lost after battery gets disconnected1
- throttle sticks1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling47
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control43
- NHTSA: Engine21
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine19
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control14
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal5
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline2
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Linkages1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.