1. replace throttle body (1 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer engine problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jul 072010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer that I had to put in a local shop last week due to it jerking really bad when taking off and not idling high enough. Along with these problems due to it not idling high enough it was causing my air not to work when sitting still. There were times that I would be at an intersection and my car would nearly cut off in the middle of the road. The shop took it to our local ford place and they stated that the sensors in the throttle body needed to be upgraded and that was what was causing all the problems. Well 225.00 later they call and tell me that after that updated the problem was still not fixed and I need a new throttle body that cost 578.00. While doing my research I have discovered that I am among several other people who have had this problem and ford had not placed this on recall. i also found out that in 2002 there was a recall on the ford explorer throttle bodies and they were replaced. Well in saying that let me add that when you buy a throttle body for a 2004 Ford Explorer they are for years 2002-2004 which tells me one thing. They are the same part, so if 2002 had to be recalled and they are the same part then why was 2004 not recalled.

A. Calvert