- July 23: Ford Transit Driveshaft Flexible Coupling Lawsuit Filed news | 1 days ago
- July 20: Ford Expands Chrome Door Handle Cover Recall recalls | 4 days ago
- July 16: Ford Recalls Edge, Fusion and Lincoln MKZ Over Torque Converters recalls | 8 days ago
- June 29: Ford Recalls Escape and Police Interceptors recalls | 25 days ago
- June 28: Ford Recalls 402,000 Transit Vans For Driveshaft Problems recalls | 26 days ago
Engine Stalls/Cuts Out While Driving
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 77,457 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 33 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (26 reports)
- bad plug to computer (2 reports)
- dealer updated pcm (1 reports)
- replace engine (1 reports)
- replace iac -idle air control (1 reports)
- scds (speed control deactivation switch) replacement (1 reports)