- May 22: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fumes Plague Police news | 2 days ago
- May 16: Ford Antifreeze Leak Recall May Not Be Good Enough news | 8 days ago
- April 23: Ford Explorer Exhaust Leak Lawsuit Dismissed by Judge news | 31 days ago
- April 5: Ford Door Sensor Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 49 days ago
- April 1: Ford Recalls F-250 Trucks Over Rollaway Dangers recalls | 53 days ago
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 107,564 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 20 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- take to a shop, get a new transmission (9 reports)
- not sure (6 reports)
- vehicle all of a sudden would not reverse!!! (5 reports)