- October 16: MyFord Touch Lawsuit Certified Class-Action in Nine States news | 5 days ago
- October 16: Ford Says Power Steering Lawsuit Shouldn't Be a Class-Action news | 5 days ago
- October 12: Ford Edge and Lincoln Continental Recalled recalls | 9 days ago
- October 4: Feds Investigate Brake Failures in 2015-2016 Ford F-150 Trucks investigations | 17 days ago
- October 4: Ford Throttle Body Problems Lead to Lawsuit news | 17 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission slipping, shifts hard385
- transmission failure169
- no reverse20
- vibrates while driving5
- rolls in reverse while sitting on flat surface3
- snap ring on side of transmission case failure2
- transmission fluid leaking into oil2
- transmission will not go in gear1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission308
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...12
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.