7.8

$2,039.00

2. rebuild transmission (57 reports)
  3. replace shift solenoid (56 reports)
  4. replace transmission (54 reports)
  5. replace shift solenoid and bands (9 reports)
  6. had transmission rebuilt $2012 (2 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 19)

Dec 152015

Explorer 4.0L V6

Make no mistake, if your eyes have landed on these words, nothing you are about to read will surprise you. After all, we are talking about an early 2000's Ford Explorer here, people... the official mascot of transmission failure. They say, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." Folks, the shame is ALL MINE. Why? Because this isn't even the first time I've had to replace a transmission on a Ford Explorer! That's right, my first car, my baby, a 1994 Ford Explorer, white with blue interior, she was a beauty until she turned on me. I was young, naive, and fully willing to save her by injecting $3,000 into a brand new transmission. So now, here I am with her younger, hotter sister. But, crazy runs in the family and whatayaknow, she's flipped. A Ford dealership transmission inspection broke the news to me, she's slippin' in 2nd and 5th and her days are numbered. So what do I do? Well, I had the fluid flushed and topped off for $200 to buy her a few more precious months before she drives off to the great beyond. But truthfully, it felt like giving a blood transfusion to someone that really needed a bone marrow transplant. It wont fix her, just delays the inevitable. Ford Dealership employees recognize this pattern of problems, but as no recall or class action lawsuit exists, Ford Motors as a company will not recognize this issue as one of their one, they just wont do the right thing and fix the explorer tranny at reduced cost, no, no, no they want to squeeze even more money out of my wallet. A dealership employee quoted me $3,700 to rebuild it, $4,200 to replace it... not only is that significantly more than double the cost you'll find at any other mechanic... that's more money than i could sell the whole car for if it were in proper, working condition... but like I said before, you already know this. and if you didn't.. you damn sure expected it. If you, like myself, are contemplating fixing/replacing as opposed to bricking the acceleration pedal over a cliff and buying into a different company altogether, do yourself a favor, don't pay for ford's warranty fix. their word is as good as their cars. Do your research and go to a local, reliable, trusted mechanic and rebuild the tranny somewhere in the realm of 1,800-2,000 and take the 2,000 you saved by not letting ford fix it and put that away in your savings to use on that chevy you've had your eye on, because believe me. that explorer will die, and when it does, you'll want to cut ties with Ford Motors for the rest of your life.

- , Smyrna, GA, USA

Nov 272015

Explorer Eddie Bauer 6 cyl

Bought the Explorer new in 2004. always had some hard shifting. Changed the fluid and screen every 50,000 miles as suggested by the dealer. Now getting really bad. Long pause to shift from reverse to drive. Transmission slips when it shifts through the gears. It is simply a matter of time before it fails completely. It is going to be expensive.

- , Butler, MO, USA

Oct 082014

Explorer Limited V8

Trans is shifting hard. Brought in to mechanic and they said the 2004 transmissions were horrible. Wanted $2k to fix. I did not fix, and just driving it as is. Transmission light on.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 012015

Explorer

I have been lucky enough to make it to 113,000 miles without the transmission failing, but have started noticing it is extremely rough when shifting. I have seen a lot of people state that at or around 120-125,000 miles is when their transmission eventually failed them, so I guess it's either wait for the failure and pay the ridiculous prices we have all been stuck with or maybe Ford will actually do the right thing and issue a recall. I have contacted Ford with this same complaint to see what they have to say, but more than likely since issuing this recall would hurt their bottom line I doubt it will happen. I'll definitely never buy a Ford again once I can unload this piece of junk.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 022015

Explorer Limited V6

The transmission problem started about a couple of weeks after we purchased the vehicle. We took it back to the dealership, they checked it out and said there was nothing wrong. When put into gear it would jerk hard into gear. They did nothing to help. Years later the problem still exist. Now the transmission is starting to slip. Other than this problem, this vehicle is in very good condition. Help, help, no one wants to take the blame###FORD##

- , Pinetops, NC, USA

Apr 252015

Explorer V6

Cannot afford to take to garage!! It codes pressure control solenoid. Put in 2. 1 refurbished and 1 used and the problem still exists!! Not sure what to do now!! Will not buy another Ford!!!!!

- , Binghamton, NY, USA

May 192014

Explorer

Had to rebuild the transmission. It sucked. Seriously.

- , Shawboro, NC, USA

Apr 022007

Explorer XLT 3.0L V6

Ford transmissions are a piece of CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Millersville, MD, USA

Jan 122015

Explorer Limited

PURCHASED this car used in March of 2013 at right at 101k miles and only 30,000 miles later I'm being told that I may haft to purchase a whole new transmission. Look online for cost of repairs only to find that obviously this is a common problem for other Ford Explorer owners of cars manufactured between 2000 and 2004. I love my car but may have to trade it in do to the defect. Too afraid that further repairs of the transmission won't resolve the issue and I may just end up spending more out of pocket to fix the car then I have left in payments. Such a shame!!! I love this car = (

- , Sylvania, GA, USA

Jan 252015

Explorer Sport V8

We bought this vehicle 60 days ago from a used car dealer MARKS AUTO SALES in PORTAGE L.A. PRAIRIE MB. Bad deal. It's our only vehicle. Just paid $4500. And now looks like we have to replace the transmission.... From what I'm reading online Ford should recall these transmissions. Everyone has this problem. Before this vehicle I had a Chevy it had 405k miles and still worked amazing. I will NEVER buy a Ford again......

- , Elm Creek, Manitoba, canada

Oct 012014

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

I paid good money and now I'm having all these issues with this vehicle. It's going to become very expensive.

- , Sparta, MI, USA

Apr 052013

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I have had 3 Ford Explorers 2001/2002 and now 2004. Every single one has had the cracked tailgate for starters. Then I had the wheel bearings replaced in the 2002 and now the 2004 is needing the same damn thing.

The transmission just shifts so damn hard. There are times with the 2002 and now the 2004 that I put the car in reverse and it just sits there. It won't move. Then I put it in park and drive again several times and the car sits there and then it sounds like something drops and it goes into gear. WTH!!!!!! I really like the Explorer other then the same problems that FORD will not fix. It is a known problem yet it just gets swept under the rug per say and nothing is done. Well, no one has been killed, YET, but damn they know that transmission is faulty and that the car sometimes shifts while driving down the road. I hope I don't become the statistic that has to make FORD face the music. Sooner or later they will have to do something.

After what I paid for the cars you would think that they would make sure the customer was happy. I have relatives that work at FORD in KC and they just say, yah we heard there's a problem with those. WHAT!!!!!! I just really am disappointed in the attention they haven't paid to this issue. Yet, I have a recall on my 2003 F150 for a faulty CLIP in the gas tank. WTH. I truly believe a faulty transmission is quite a bit more important for safety then a faulty clip. Really. Just totally disappointed. I will buy some other brand of car next time. I'm done with FORD's put off.

- , Grain Valley, MO, USA

Jul 012014

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

After moderate braking, push accelerator, revs go up. After a pause the transmission kicks in with a thump.

Now the transmission has started slipping especially changing into top under power.

Flashes the O/D off light going uphill.

Update from Nov 29, 2014: complete rebuild with new solenoids etc.

- , Haymarket, VA, USA

Jan 232014

Explorer XLT 4.7L V6

GEEZ, WHEN PEOPLE SAID THAT THIS WAS THE LEMON OF THE FORD EXPLORERS THEY WEREN'T KIDDING. I'VE HAD TO REPLACE MY BLEND DOOR MOTORS. FIRST MY FRONTS WENT, THEN AFTER I REPLACED THEM LOW AND BEHOLD MY BACK ONE WENT UP. I DIDN'T REPLACE THE BACK ONE BUT NOT LONG AFTER I REPLACED MY FRONTS AGAIN....THEY BURNT UP AGAIN.

EVER SINCE I HAD GOTTEN THE RECALL NOTICE ABOUT AN ADDITIVE NEEDED IN THE TRANSMISSION FLUID I TOOK IT TO FORD AND THEY PUT IN THE ADDITIVE AND FROM THEN ON MY TRANSMISSION STARTED TO SLIP. A TEMPORARY FIX WAS TO DRAIN THE FLUID AND REDOING THE TRANSMISSION FLUIDS. I WENT CLOSE TO 100,000 MILES BEFORE MY BACK WINDOW PANEL DECIDED TO CRACK AROUND THE FORD EMBLEM. ALSO I NOTICED THAT A RUST POCKET STARTED UP JUST UNDER THE FUEL DOOR.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 132012

Explorer LXT 4000cc

THIS IS THE WORSE CAR EVER MADE AND PUT ON THE MARKET, FORD OUGHT TO BE MADE TO FIX EVERYONE OF THEM FREE OF CHARGE.

- , Turkey, NC, USA

Nov 102008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Transmission slams when put in reverse. When turning front wheels ratchet and grind.

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 152014

Explorer

I just had the flywheel replaced in May of 2014 which was not cheap and I noticed when I put my car in reverse it would make an awful sound, well now my car is whining so loud it is embarrassing! It also sounds like it is about to snap! My cousin who works on cars all the time sat in it last week for a ride around the block and he said yep that's the transmission! I don't have the money to fix it at the moment but I can not continue to drive it! Why we keep buying fords is beyond me! I had junked my 2001 Windstar because the axle snapped and it was before the recall of that and went to this POS next!

- , Bradford, MA, USA

Jul 092008

Explorer XLT 4.6L

Just not shifting right, pain in the ass, can't trust it.

- , Portage, PA, USA

Oct 102014

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

Ok, So I have a 2004 Ford Explorer, it has 116K miles. I bought it 105K or so anyways. Last week the O/D light started flashing. I noticed this high pitched belt noise coming from the Transmission assembly. I drove it home, this morning I tried putting it in reverse, there was complete engagement failure.

I finally got it to shift into gear slowly made it to a road to test drive it. Well, 1st and 2nd gear were OK, then it stopped shifting, shot up to 4000 rpm. Then just slipped out completely. Ford dealership is near where I live (2miles). I slowly took it down there. I was hoping they would tell me if I need to change the transmission control solenoid, but after they charged me $110, the diagnosis was internal transmission failure. They want me to change out the transmission, $3800+!! Craziness. Anyway, any ideas?

- , American Canyon, CA, USA

Oct 022014

Explorer V6

It is jerking again! Takes forever to switch into gears! Almost got killed on the freeway! Debating whether it is worth fixing and whether I should just suck it up and put a DP on a new vehicle! It just kills me I have to do this! I paid so much for the damn thing and for what!

- , Escondido, CA, USA