Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2. rebuild transmission (57 reports)
  3. replace shift solenoid (57 reports)
  4. replace transmission (56 reports)
  5. replace shift solenoid and bands (9 reports)
  6. serviced transmission and cleaned valve body (3 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 14 of 20)

Apr 032007

What can we do to make ford fix this? Does anyone know what can be done? I think Ford should stand behind this vehicle and fix the problem.

- , Pierce, NE, USA

Feb 102009

Explorer XLT V6

All, my problem that occurred suddenly on 2/10/2008 out of nowhere is the same - transmission slipped while in Drive, then O/D light flashed. Then the vehicle completely shut off. I was finally able to make it home in 3rd gear driving slow, with the O/D light flashing and it died again. Based on a lot of reading on the internet regarding this wide-spread problem, that included reviews from Ford mechanics, the problem comes down to the casing and servo pin bore. This is for the 5R55 series and A4LD series transmissions. There is a transmission shop in Cameron, Wisconsin called Northland Transmissions that has a servo pin bore replacement kit for about $300 that upgrades the parts to brass: Their phone# is 715-458-2617. Unfortunately, I live in Florida, so I will be taking my vehicle to the dealership today and telling them about what I have found on the internet. Most of you are not going to be able to fix yourself; you need to drop the transmission to do this repair. Here's what it comes down to: Whatever Ford supplier Ford that originally built this transmission used aluminum for these parts, instead of stronger (and more expensive) metals or alloys that would last a long time. Therefore, this servo pin bore kitt will probably fix the problem for quite a long time, but it won't last forever because the entire transmission is cheaply built. The real fix would be a company that would totally recreate this transmission from scratch with strong parts that would retro-fit to the Explorers, Rangers, Mountaineers, and some Mustangs.

In the end, Ford made the sale, however they probably will not make repeat sales and that is looking like it will be their true demise.

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Jan 072009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I bought a 2004 Explore in pristine condition. At 30,000 miles it started to hesitate when you put it in reverse. Then it got worse. They replaced the solenoid pack. The shifting is rough when it's cold. It shifts very hard between first and second. Luckily, the original owner had bought the extended warranty (which I transferred) so it's only $50 evertime I take it in.

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Feb 052009

Explorer XLT V6

along with everyone else the hard slams into reverse..slipping between gears. I was at a stop light and when I drove off at about 20MPH it flet like I was dragging something under the SUV.. under 20 it seems ok. I had it taken to a local shop. I was 8 miles over my extended warranty..I guess i should have taken it in the first time I shifted into reverse and felt that great slam. I should know something tomorrow on what the problem ends up being.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Dec 152008

Explorer XLT 4.0lV6

Same complaint as everyone else, it started shifting so hard in reverse that I had to end up having my rearend on the vehicle replaced which was going to cause between $2140 - 1500,00, I . It still continued to shift hard, and I was informed that if I did not have the transmission rebuilt which is going to cause me anywhere between $1650.00 - $2350.00 depending on who I take it to. I was informed that if I did not have the transmission rebuilt more then likely I would end up having to replace the rearend again, because the shift is just that hard. I found a used rearend at a pull n pay lot and had it replaced for $800.00. Now, I ride the bus to work and just parked the damn thing until I can save the money to have the transmission rebuilt. However, from what I am reading, this still might not solve the problem.

- , 2439 Oaktree Place, Cincinnati, USA

Dec 012008

Explorer 4x4 4.0L V6

I looked at the ford website today, feb !st 2009, I have found nothing on this ,yet I hear of so many with the same problem. One of the workers at my local gas station asked if it was a 2004 . I said it was and he said his parents was too and doing the exact same thing! He said he thought it was recalled but i haven't seen anything. This is going to cost a lot to fix ,and in this economy ,I sure could use the money elsewhere. Ford needs to step up, this is no coincidence,and no fault of ours.

- , Brunswick, MD, USA

Jan 302009

OMG!! I just bought this vehicle yesterday. Used from a dealership, and I am a first time buyer with no credit. First of all I got ripped off which I just found out today, second of all my CD Player does not work at all, third of all my 4wd doesn't work properly (which was the whole reason I bought it was to take it on the beach), and the transmission is totally out of sync, it jerks my and my family all over hell! I have had it for less than 24 hours, and after stumbling upon this website, I am terrified. Worst of all, in the state of VA once you sign the papers you can't change your mind..... What to do.... I wonder what else is gonna screw up next!

- , Williamsburg, VA, USA

Jan 182006

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I have repaired and replaced hundreds of these transmission, If you have a 5r55w or 5r55s trans it is junk. An overhaul will not fix it the case is the fault.

- , Manassas, VA, USA

Jul 112006

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

click to see larger images

transmission slipping, shifts hard

I recommend to all who've added a complaint to contact 1 (800) MY-LEMON

- , Allentown, PA, USA

Jan 162009

Harper Ford and the Ford motor company will not stand behind this vehicle at all.

- , Eureka, CA, USA

Aug 012008

Explorer 4.0L V6

I bought my explorer in august and its been a nightmare since.. Last winter, five months after I got it, the tranny started to shift hard in reverse, I mean shifting hard enough to jerk you.. My brother went to take it to work (hes a tranny guy) and on his way it started grinding and wouldn't get up to speed.. He said the third shift gear was shot too... Anyways, I wound up taking it to my ford dealer instead.. I got charged $800.00 because my four wheel drive was rusted and corroded and locked in, it needed a hub bearing and other stuff.. I picked up my car days later and it was still shifting hard, I asked them why and they said it didn't do that for them.. WHATEVER!!!! I took it back up to them and they replaced something(Im a chic i don't know the part) and said there was a bulletin on this part so they had to replace it, then charged me $625.00!!! I took my explorer to my cousin whos been a transmission specialist for 30 yrs and he said hed have to rebuild it to find the problem and it would cost me 1,000.00 with his "family discount"!!!! Ive had this explorer for a year and have put way more in to it than I should have.. All Ive ever wanted was an explorer and now I tell people NOT to buy one! With all these complaints Ford needs to fix the problem and quit making bad cars!!!! Im seriously pissed off!!!

- , Middlefield, OH, USA

Jul 012008

Explorer XLS V6

When I shift into reverse, it takes a few seconds to get in gear and then bucks! What the ?!

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

May 312007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I won't let it all out. Okay I will. My name is Cassandra and I have a freaking bone to pick. My 2004 Explorer is paid for. Looks great on inside and out, but when I drive it it's a butload of crap! It started out with hard reverse (scared any person that rode with me, they thought I may had hit someone) and a slip in gear. But this problem didn't really bother me, people got used to it as did I. Then 2 months ago, the O/D OFF light started flashing. I pressed the button on the end of the gear shift and it would not change the O/D OFF status. The car then continued to, (please hear me out), go a very quick and safe maximum of 30 miles per hour while the RPM's decided to shoot up to 3,500. The only way to reconcile this short term was to wait to get into the 1,000 RPM range and try again which that in most cases fell. Twas the night before Christmas, and this is no joke, that my care just decided to go a max of 30 MPH reguardless of the 45 MPH speed limit. Try to accelerate? Perfectly fine in 1st and 2nd, then you're screwed. The RPM's will run up to 6,000. The car doesn't freaking care. So my dilemma is a car that won't go past 35 MPH. So as a trial and error, as I neared 35, I shifted my AUTOMATIC trasi into 3rd gear and I was able to hit 45. It runs the engine harder but when you only have that car to drive, you make do. Not only did that suck, but I just found out 3 days ago that my car doesn't want to go in reverse. You can press the accelerator all you want and all you will get is the sound of a racing engine. So I decided to push my car with my foot out of the driver's side door ( great new innovation, right?!) From what I hear, the replacement of the solenoid is a temporary fix, very temporary, so dropping approx. $1000 is pointless. Also replacing the transmission with ANOTHER FAULTY one is oxymoron material. All I have on my side is AAA. I guess I'll just drive this piece of crap until it dies. Sad, because I really love my car. Never wanted to get rid of it, but the problem is inevitable. So I just hope I don't have a transmission on strike in rush hour traffic, or on the interstate, or when my sister goes into labor, or when a hurricane is coming our way. Freaking ford, I'm sorry to say that I cannot support the American economy because they are freaking LAME when it comes to fixing a problem. I would love to keep my car. PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Jan 142009

Explorer XLT V6

Same problem as everyone else. Shift hard, rear end leaks owe more than the piece of sh*t is worth. FORD F'd Over Rebuilt Dodge. I do not understand why the three automakers need money when they use cheap ass parts and charge like it is a BMW. Like Larry the Cable guy said " Sometimes you got to total the truck and collect the insurance money to pay the note"

- , Mccalla, AL, USA

Nov 202008

Explorer Limited V6

My 04 ford explorer xlt spt/nbx has been in the shop for 8 weeks now. It started slipping and jumping in gear.There is little information out there on this transmission and the transmission shop that has it can't figure it out... This transmission shop has been in business for many years and they know their stuff. They have contacted several technical support people from ford and they are not having much luck. What can I do? I really need a vehicle and I'm not sure whats going to happen with mine.

- , Hitchcock, TX, USA

Dec 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

My 2004 Ford Explorer began experiencing delays in shifting gears last month. Tool truck to local Ford dealership. Dealership "recalibrate PCM to latest updates". Transmission seemed to be fine for 2 weeks but now the same problem is back. Was going to take the truck back to dealership until I stumbled upon this website and saw all the same complaints. Not sure what the heck to do now!!! I own 3 Fords...starting to second guess my loyalty to Ford!!!

- , Russellville, TN, USA

Jun 152008

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

Purchased the car from an local used car dealer and noticed some minor slipping of the transmission when shifting from reverse to forward. 1 month later noticed slipping of transmission when driving forward approx 40 to 45 mph. The reverse to forward slipping has significantly deteriorated to the point of being dangerous and the slipping in forward now happens at multiple speeds between 2 and 45 mph. I am currently having a local transmission person look at the problem.

- , Sparta, NJ, USA

Jan 052006

Explorer XLT V6

Same as everyone else who owns this vehicle! Takes about 30 seconds to finally go into reverse. Slips e crazy in Drive jerks our f'n heads off here in Chattanooga! Plee help us someone! We really need a class action sut here! Also, rear painted piece under back window is cracked and also the damn radio wont eject cd's. Lets take legal action! Email me at if you have any class action information.

- , Ooltewah, TN, USA

Sep 192008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I came to this site hoping to find the route to go to get this problem fixed but after reading I see that Ford will not recognize this manufacturing problem. And Ford wants our business!!!! What ever happened to customer service. I would NEVER look at a Ford for my next vehicle simply due to the fact they seems to be dumping their equipment malfunction in the customers lap. There really should be a law that protects the buyer from such things. I am the lucky owner of the Explorer with the bad transmission along with the cracked tailgate trim. Buying a new car is not in my budget so from reading about all the attempts to get these things, I don't see that I will get any help.Someone at Ford needs to make a believer in me as to why I should buy American made.

- , Hampton, GA, USA

Dec 252006

Explorer LX 4.0L

I have a 2004 ford Explorer, the trans don't work good at all? Ford will not fix the trans, because no one knows how? Why--Because a mech can not fix what is bad with another bad part .Can I hurt FORD--- YES My family and I can ! We have all dreven fords for a long long time but no longer will we put up with FORD B,S ! Five New Fords will be some other brand this year . If you call an air head at ford and ask for help you get B.S. Cleveland Tn. More than one third of the cost of a 2004 Explorer has been spent without any chang .Whin I go to trade this Explorer in they ask me to fix the trans or pay for it or no trade. Junk is junk ! What can I do?

- , Cleveland, TN, USA