7.8

$2,014.00

2. rebuild transmission (58 reports)
  3. replace shift solenoid (57 reports)
  4. replace transmission (56 reports)
  5. replace shift solenoid and bands (9 reports)
  6. serviced transmission and cleaned valve body (3 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 8 of 20)

Jul 012010

Explorer

I bought this explorer for my wife. She thought this was a very very very nice looking explorer. She drove it and just fell in love with it. Now couple weeks after owning this explorer in started to just need part after part replaced an now its the transmission which is a very costly part which is awful when you just bought it and then overnight it acts like the thing is going to fall out going down the road.

- , Janesville, WI, USA

Feb 112011

Explorer Limited V6

Starting shifting hard in reverse a few times. Then the Transmission light came on but turn off when I restarted the car. About a week later the Service Engine light came on. Mechanic said it would be a min. of $3300 to fix. With this many complaints you would think FORD would do something. Not a happy a Ford customer. No more Fords for this family.

- , Littleton, CO, USA

Aug 032004

Explorer

I am just finding out about the transmission problem, when every time we had the car in for service and asked about haw hard the car jumped and sounded when you changed from Park to Reverse and Reverse to Drive he told us that this was normal for the Ford Models. First all the sh*t that I went thru with my rear door and this time it was my fault that I was not big enough to be able really slam the rear door good. That was why it would just fly open driving down the interstate or any road. The lights would come on and say the door was open, but I had shut it numerous times. Now the DAMN REAR DOOR has CRACKED all the way down the middle under the glass. THE DEALERS TELL ME THAT THE 03'S,THE 04'S AND THE 05'S ARE ALL HAVING THIS ISSUE. BUT GUESS WHAT FORD REFUSES TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen comments from other 2004 Ford Explorer Owners that have this same issue going on, there was one gentleman that his rear window shattered with his son in the rear seat. He had to have numerous stiches from this and FORD will DO NOTHING!!!!!!

My vehicle is now paid for, I did take out the extended warranty, but wouldn't you know it, it expired a couple of months before my rear door cracked.

I am now in a complete different situation in my life and I was so excited about having my vehicle paid for, I thought that I was doing OK. 2004 Ford Explorer that I have taken good are of,now only has less than 54,000 miles on it, inj really good shape I thought.

The VERY FIRST CHANCE that I can AFFORD to I will TRADE THAT TRUCK AS FAST AS I CAN. I WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER FORD OR AMERICAN MADE CAR EITHER.

- , La Vergne, TN, USA

Mar 022007

Explorer ESL V6

transmission slips since the day we purchased it used. I immediately had a flush and change of fluid. This did nothing to correct the problem, however we now have over 100000 miles and it is still running with the hard shifts. By accident I stumbled across a web site some time ago that reported ford had a recall on some of it's 2004 model due to them using the wrong xmission fluid from the factory that would lead to the type of problems that everybody is talking about. I have not investigate this any further, but intend to do so. I have a after cooler for the transmission, but because I bought it used I am not sure if it is factory installed or not. I intend to invesgitate further before it s***s itself. I believe any experienced, reputable transmission shop should be aware of this problem or I will not trust my repairs to them.

- , Tomball, tx, USA

Dec 282010

Explorer 58000 4.0L V6

I bought this car in 2007 as used with 28000 miles on it. in 2009 the transmission started acting weird. it was a problem with the reverse and than it does not pass the 4 gear. so I took it to dealer to fix it. He said that the SOLENOID need to be changed and the problem will be fixed. the solenoid cost me $ 1462. However I still have the feeling that the car does not act the way it suppose to. This is going to be my last ford. no more American car. foreign cars are a way better. Hopefully we can get some thing from the recall if it does happen.

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Jan 012005

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I never liked the way the trans shifted into gear from day 1. Now its at the point when I put it into gear it bangs and sometimes takes a second or two to engage. I had it since Nov 03 and now Feb 2011 it only has 43,000 miles. I'm afraid I'll be do for a new trans soon. It shouldn't be...

- , Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Oct 152010

Explorer Limited V8

Having the same problem as I hear from everyone else. Loud banging when backing up Finding out that .04 was a very bad year for explorers.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 192009

Explorer XLT 4.0L

This is the second time for a problem with this truck. Had it at the dealer ship just after the warranty went out around 37,000 an paid a little over $600.00 to fix it . Lasted till 80,000 them took it back and paid around $200.00 to fix.

- , Livingston, TN, USA

Jun 012006

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Had it at the dealer ship just after the warranty went out around 37,000 an paid over $600.00 to fix it.

- , Livingston, TN, USA

Jan 112011

Explorer

The transmission slips between shifts making the engine rev up and the car jar as the car slams into gear.

- , Vineland, NJ, USA

Apr 012010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 Flex Fuel

It never shifted very smooth. The dealer said because it was drive by wire. then it got really bad. I bought the extended warranty because I was afraid of this. I broke even, the warranty was 1250 up 60k miles and the rebuild was about the same.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 312004

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I purchased the car in august of 2004 new. When I first drove in reverse it woud "jump," at about 7500 miles there was a recall and it stated the transmission was jumping and it needed a additive to fix the problem---it continued on and I now have 122,000 miles and it will need to be replaced. That is amazing when you spend 30,000 on a new vehicle!! I feel I got a lemon!!!!!! Then after the first 2 yrs the paint was peeling off the roof, and of course that is not covered in the "full of it" full coverage. What is this world coming to?

now I am laid off, which makes it even better.

- , Ferndale, MI, USA

Jan 032011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Well ford explorer have the worse transmission ever put in any car,

I'm on my second rebuilt transmission in lest than 5 years and ford wont

take care off the problem. I won't buy a ford ever in my life!!!.

- , North Bergen, NJ, USA

Dec 012010

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

i was really upset that the tranny had to be rebuilt and that there was a fix in the bore kit. why wont ford admit to the problem? if there is a fix for it! i guess its to line the pockets of the transmission shops! these cars should out last any thing on the road, for the price! ford used to stand for some thing! no fill tube on a automatic transmission! what the hell!! this is one of the dumbest things, in a long line of things, that Ford has done.

- , Sedro Woolley, Washington State, USA

Dec 142010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L Flexible

Sounds like I've had all the same problems everyone else is having. Hesitating when shifting and then lunging forward when engaging, clunking in reverse, driver's side front and rear window periodically stop working, gas gauge sometimes gets 'stuck', front hubs and bearing needed to replaced. I told the dealer about the clunking in reverse in the first year but was told that was 'normal'. Now at 96500 miles it is out of warranty and am having the trans rebuild for $2,328 as we speak. Hopefully we can get a recall out of this and get our money back.

- , Redford, MI, USA

Nov 222007

Explorer 6CYL

BACK TO WHERE IT WAS 6 MONTHS AGO SLIPPING NOT GOING INTO EITHER FORWARD OR REVERSE WITHOUT A BANG AND JUMP AND VERY SLOW READ SLIPPING SHIFTING.

Aug 272007

Explorer 6CYL

SAID THAT THIS WOULD CURE THE SHIFTING ISSUE BUT THE LAST FIX ONLY WORKED FOR A FEW MONTHS.

Sep 062010

Explorer 6CYL

BACK TO SLIPPING WHEN SHIFTING. VERY INTERMITTENT. NOT SURE IF I WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY TO REPLACE ANOTHER SOLENOID, WILL DO A SERVICE AND ADD THE MODIFIER AND SEE WHERE IT GOES. FIRST AND LAST FORD. LOVE THE CAR HATE THE TRANSMISSION COSTS.

Oct 122010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 8 cyl

haven't taken to the dealer yet but pretty worried what they are going to tell me...seems pretty early to be having transmission problems at just 90,000 miles

- , Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Aug 142010

Explorer 4.6

The car started shifting this way a while back. Seems like it is getting worse the closer I get to pay off date.

- , Carlisle, PA, USA