CarComplaints.com Notes: The NHTSA's complaint data shows potentially scary power steering problems with the 2011 Ford Explorer.

The NHTSA complaints are pretty serious - owners report the power steering cuts out while driving. The NHTSA opened an investigation in June 2012 but hasn't reached a decision about a recall yet. In the meantime, buyers beware.

It's too bad because the 2009 & 2010 Ford Explorer are solid, trouble-free model years.

2011 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Explorer:

2011 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jul 042016

Explorer

Regards from the first year I purchased I have entered the exhaust area of the cabin. From the first year, service, people who attended me in the Ford dealer, told me I could not find a cause or that was part of the design of the unit. I got to take it to 2 different dealers whenever I'm driving and presented me having to climb down or up a hill, it is where the problem arises. I may happen in the express or normal roads. The one last visit for a recall, returned to discuss the problem and now tells me it costs me $ 600 for the repair memo I get how to work with the problem. I have trouble because they spent 36,000 miles. My comment is that from the first year've been reporting the problem and did not have any kind of solution. The smell is now very often and truly bothers to guide and must represent a health problem.

- Arecibo, PR, USA

Apr 282016

Explorer

I was driving down I64 East when I started hearing this loud buzzing like noise. Next thing I knew it sounded like something hit my driving side window bounced alone my car and flew behind me causing the driver behind me to Dodge it....I pulled off the interstate to find that the trim was gone alone the driver side windshield. It had hit the drivers side on my car in multiple places and caused long black marks on my side mirror, and rear side panel. Got back on the interstate and not even ten minutes later it happened to the left side. Same exact thing! right passenger side trim flew off hitting my wife's window, scratched the car and caused person behind us to Dodge it. I also had my four children in the car, so everyone was very upset and scared considering that it could have caused us to wreck going 70 mph down the interstate in heavy traffic.I called the dealership (greenbrier Ford) where we bought it and the service manager told me that is too bad, come in and get and estimate, so you can pay to fix your repairs. This is definitely a malfunction with this exterior of the car which I shouldn't be liable for especially considering that it could have caused a major accident and harmed my family. I guess Ford needs someone to die before they recall or fix the problem. Thanks Ford for caring...not.. what has happened to integrity??

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 312015

Explorer

The hood paint is bubbling up and shows corrosion along the front. The rubber around the windshield is dry rotted and crumbling all around the windshield. The dealer refuses to do anything about either problem. There is a Ford tsb issued on the paint issue.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Dec 102012

Explorer

Drivers side armrest tearing apart driver side windshield trim rubber falling out of windshield.rust on hood.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jul 112015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that rear passenger and the front driver side door handles failed to operate intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V171000 (structure) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact stated the failure mileage was 70,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 152015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V171000 (structure); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Eastvale , CA, USA

Jul 062015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 15V171000 (structure) however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- El Dorado, AR, USA

Jun 062015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the quarter panel and hood were showing signs of corrosion. The contact stated that the corrosion continued to expand. The vehicle was taken the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Weathers Field, CT, USA

May 282015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the paint bubbled and chipped on the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on two different occasions for the same issue. The technician diagnosed that the hood had to be replaced because it was made out of aluminum and started to corrode. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously painted as a remedy for the corrosion. The manufacturer made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 012015

Explorer

Corrosion has formed on the leading edge of the hood assembly and shows no signs of impacts or scratches that would suggest that this was influenced from an outside source.

- Chanhassen, MN, USA

Jan 062015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that over 3 inches of rain leaked into the vehicle through the luggage racks on top of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the seam in between the metal roof and the roof luggage racks had worn out and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Arnold, MO, USA

Jul 082014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. While driving in inclement weather at an unknown speed, water leaked down the rear driver and rear passenger seat belts. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Woodbourne, NY, USA

Aug 282014

Explorer 6-cyl

I was driving down the street at around 20 mph when there were cars that suddenly stopped. When I was braking I felt as if the steering was allowing me to turn and it happened so fast I felt as if I lost braking power. Then I hit the car in front of me hard.

- Gurabo, PR, USA

Sep 062014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle was parked in the driveway, where it had been since the previous day. I opened the front drivers side door and got into the car. I put the keys into the ignition switch and started the vehicle. At this point I closed the drivers side door. At this moment I heard a loud "pop" sound. I looked into the rear view mirror and saw a large hole in the glass of the upper center portion of the rear window. Upon further inspection the remaining glass was shattered and spider webbed. There was glass on the ground outside the vehicle as well as in the rear compartment of the car.

- New Durham, NH, USA

Mar 152012

Explorer 6-cyl

The chrome on the vehicle (back panel, wheels, door handles, grill and side bumpers) are all corroding. Ford is denying any responsibility saying it is "environmental" even though the vehicle is less than 8 months old. The vehicle will inevitably rust compromising the value and safety.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Feb 012011

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated while driving through dirt or water, particles would seep into the vehicle on the drivers side. The dealer and manufacturer were notified, but denied any assistance with repair to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5 and the current mileage was 11,000.

- Mason, MI, USA