3.6

2012 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Explorer:

2012 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 012014

Explorer 6-cyl

We have a 2012 Ford Explorer with 46,000 miles at this time. On August 30, 2014, we were driving about 35 mph when the car lost all power, and the powertrain/wrench light came on in the display. The check engine light did not come on. I pulled to the side of the road where the car was shaking like it wanted to stall. I turned the car off and back on, and it started up fine, and the wrench light went off. We drove another 100 miles when it did the same thing again on September 1 going about 50 mph. I took it to the local shop who noticed that the voltage was dropping from 14 volts down to 12volts and shutting down the computers (so they said). They changed out the alternator- $560. Everything was fine until September 20 when the car did the same thing twice again, about 10 minutes apart, going 70 mph (car lost power, wrench light on, had to pull over and restart). I took it to the closest Ford dealer within 2 days; they drove the car 55 miles and could not duplicate the problem because it is intermittent. There were no error codes present. The check engine light never came on. They said to come get the car and keep driving it. Internet research indicates that this is likely a throttle body (etb) malfunction. I called the Ford dealer where we bought the car (not where it was now) and described the problem to a service manager with 19 years experience. He said it was likely the throttle body since the car would restart. He said only 2 things trigger the wrench light- the transmission and the throttle body. Since my wife and daughter ride in this car, I decided to have the throttle body replaced at my expense on September 24 - $470. Continuing to drive the car as Ford suggested, with an intermittent cut-off problem, was not an option for me so I decided to make an educated guess/diagnosis and throw parts at it and see.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Jul 032014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving on RT44 in MA when I noticed oncoming drivers yelling at me. I thought I was doing something wrong and when I came to a stop light, the driver in front of me got out of his car and yelled that my 2012 Ford explored had flames coming from the bottom of the vehicle. I immediately evacuated the car with my wife and children and my car was indeed on fire. I happened to have a fire extinguisher with me and was able to put out the fire. I was in front of a Ford dealer when this happened and they came out to inspect the car and I was told the heat shield was ignited from touching the exhaust. They removed the plate and you can see the burnt damage (I have pics). This situation could have turned fatal and they said they will put a new one on. This should not be able to catch fire and if it wasn't for other drivers I don't know how this could of ended. My wife and 3 year old son are now terrified to ride in the Explorer. This needs to be investigated immediately.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Dec 302013

Explorer 6-cyl

After numerous trips to the dealer to complain about the way this car was driving my car finally failed on and completely shift itself off in the middle of an intersection while making a left turn. I could not steer or accelerate. I coasted to the shoulder. Took the car to the dealer and they finally said it was the throttle body sticking and replaced it. Luckily it was under warranty. My prior visits I was told that the computer software needed to be updated and that maybe the gas I was putting into the car had to much ethanol.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 012013

Explorer

Own 2012 Ford Explorer, bought new and a contributing factor was that it had tow pkg. On it. Had occasion to use the tow and checked local U-haul and they refused to rent a trailer to me. Was told co. Policy forbid rental to anyone driving an Explorer. I was totally speechless and even called two other rentals and was refused. Said too many accidents with sway and roll-over. After research on line I have found it is true..so now I own a vehicle with tow on it, and unless I am willing to spend several thousand to buy my own trailer, it is totally useless!wondering how Ford motors is allowed to sell these vehicles with this safety issue. I contacted them and got nowhere. So guess I'm stuck, however, come new vehicle time there will not be an Explorer in my drive. Shame on you Ford.

- Ashland, KY, USA