2013 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Mar 232015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V171000 (structure) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 062015

Explorer 6-cyl

With just over 37,000 miles on the vehicle, I noticed that the paint on the hood was bubbling and flaking off. It had obviously been occurring long before I first noticed it. I brought it to my Ford dealer who told me it is a common problem for those vehicles because the hood is made out of aluminum and vibration from driving causes the paint to fracture which results in this problem. He also told me that it was not covered under warranty because I had over 36,000 miles, even though the problem had been there when it still fell under that warranty. I then did some research on the internet and found several sites with an enormous amount of complaints from 2013 and 2014 Explorer owners who were having the same problem. (a few examples of the sites I saw are carcomplaints.com, edmunds.com, and rv.net. A google search will provide many more). I then contacted Ford Motor Company directly and spoke to a representative there. They said they were aware of the problem but no recall was going to be issued, and nothing could be done regarding my specific problem. After complaining profusely and having my issue elevated to a regional manager, Ford agreed to partially pay for the repair. However, I (along with the many others who are having this problem) feel that this is a manufacturing defect and should be covered fully by Ford. While this may not be a "safety" issue, I am hoping that this complaint will at least have someone from your Agency look into this matter to see if Ford should be forced to recall these vehicles due to this manufacturing defect. After all, a vehicle that is one to two years old should not be deteriorating in this manner. Any help or information you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Jun 302015

Explorer

My mechanic discovered rust bubbles on my hood on or about June of 2015. It is very awful looking for a vehicle which is only 2 years old and parked where there is no river waters.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 152015

Explorer

Paint is bubbling on the front edge of the hood

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 282015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving 65 mph, exhaust fumes entered the vehicle. The failure recurred six times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician placed silicone and seal around the bumper and holes and reprogrammed the HVAC. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000. MA 10/8

- Amsterdam, NY, USA

Apr 162015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Interior driver and passenger door latches are loose and don't have any resistance on them. Because of this the doors can easily be opened with very little effort at any speed.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Feb 162015

Explorer

Purchased vehicle from Ford dealer as a pre-certified vehicle at delivery found the front edge of the hood had bubbling paint, dealer tried to have Ford cover the repair but Ford denied the claim due to vehicle being out of warranty by mileage, vehicle is 2 yrs old and only 2200 miles out of warranty by mileage. This is a know issue with to happen with aluminum hoods since 2002 and Ford has previous tsb's for older vehicles due to this issue.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Feb 122015

Explorer 6-cyl

Paint bubbling at edge of hood no damage to hood.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Jan 012015

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Noticed that my paint is peeling and flaking on inside part of left rear drivers door right to bare metal awaiting to hear what Ford is going to do vehicle still under full bumper to bumper warranty. Also same door not closing properly also being addressed.

- Swampscott, MA, USA

Dec 012014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

The car's hood has developed rust from the under the clear coat and along the welded seams through out the entire hood of the vehicle.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jul 282014

Explorer 6-cyl

Driving down the freeway and the molding around my windshield just flew off.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Jul 162014

Explorer

On 16 July 2014, I was driving and my vehicle just stopped while I was driving it, Ford claims that this is a safety device to protect the transmission, but this is a serious health and safety issue for people and their lives. I could have easily gotten hurt or caused a serious traffic accident if I was on a different road or on the interstate. Ford claims that because of the grille design that they have ont he vehicle it causes major issues to the air condensor and transmission cooler, because any and everything...debris, rocks, insects, birds... can cause the condensor/cooler to be damaged which will cause the customer to have to constantly pay out of pocket expenses. This is a major safety concern.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Mar 012013

Explorer 6-cyl

Exhaust enters the vehicle cabin any time the engine is operated at higher rpms, such as climbing a long hill or traveling at highway speeds and passing other traffic. The problem appears to have been present since purchasing the vehicle (new), but we initially thought the odor was coming from surrounding vehicles. We shortly discovered that the exhaust odor occurred without the presence of any other traffic. The vehicle was taken to the Ford dealer who contacted Ford engineering for a fix. The "fix" didn't help. I contacted Ford customer service and established a "case" in August, 2013, and was promised the problem would be taken care of. Ford told us to operate the ventilation system in the recirculation mode until the problem was solved. This only amplified the odor because the exhaust still entered but was then trapped in the cabin. At Ford's direction the car was taken back to the dealer where it sat for 3 weeks but was not touched. The dealer then called and asked us to come get the car because they didn't know how to fix it. Since then, despite my continuing efforts, I have been repeatedly stalled and told "we're working on it". the odor is present year round but seems to be stronger in warmer weather.

- Leslie, AR, USA

Apr 012013

Explorer 6-cyl

After all the new car smells began to wear off we began to notice what seemed to be exhaust fumes when we were driving up hills. We soon noticed that it happened anytime upon hard acceleration. The smell is enough to make your eyes burn and water from up in the driver seat. We thought maybe it was coming from the rear but tried in all positions and off and still have it. The Ford fix with the new vent, sealant, etc. Was done and had no effect on it. It was brought back into the dealership a second time and the opposite vent was replaced, still no change. We brought it back into the dealership a third time and it was checked for improper body seals and weather strips with nothing found. We are now told we have to just wait and see if Ford comes up with a fix.

- Frostburg, MD, USA

May 292013

Explorer 6-cyl

My panoramic sunroof exploded!! I was sitting in my vehicle, parked in the driveway and heard a loud noise. I got out and checked the tires and around my vehicle. I saw nothing unusual so I got back in, turned the air off and that's when I discovered it was the sunroof. I heard crackling of glass. Got back out and stepped in the back passenger door and looked on top - it had cracked in the shape of an X with a small pop up right in the center. It was obvious that nothing had hit the glass because I was parked in my driveway and the glass was pushed upward instead of inward. I took numerous pictures of the vehicle sitting in my driveway right after this happened. Drove it to the nearest dealership, within a half hour, as per the service mgr. For pre approval of warranty coverage. It was denied twice. Ford's response for denial of warranty coverage : " as per section 3 of the warranty and policy manual, damaged glass (stone chips, scratches, etc.) is not considered a warrantable condition unless as related to another defective component. The loud noise as described by the customer has generally been found to be the time in which the glass is impacted in other similar cases. The point of impact to the glass is the place in which the glass is broken and bowed upward (bow upward due to interior cabin pressure is slightly greater than ambient pressure when windows are up and the HVAC system is running.) unfortunately, this broken glass is considered to be damage that can not be covered under the new vehicle warranty at this time." 23 days later...my $40K vehicle is still damaged and sitting in my garage B/C this is an ongoing issue with these panoramic sunroofs exploding. Ford can not keep up with the demand for replacement glass. I pray someone, especially a child is not injured or even worse killed by this defect.

- Saint Leonard , MD, USA

Sep 032012

Explorer

Recently traded a 2011 Ford Explorer for a 2013. The 2011 developed a corrosion problem with the seam on the front underside edge of the hood. We did not want our 12K mile car painted on so we traded it for a 2013 Ford Explorer we thoroughly inspected. 3 weeks and 300 miles later I opened the hood while cleaning the vehicle and the corrosion has already started causing paint to pop off the underside along the seam sealer. So far Ford has failed to take any action. Ford has a corrosion / paint issue with this model and other's with aluminum hoods.

- Naples, FL, USA

Aug 242012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford escape. The contact stated both the front driver and passenger lower door seals were not equipped with a slip resistant safety tread. The passenger slipped and fell when entering the door as her foot was placed on the door seal. The passenger slightly bumped her head and sustained an abrasion to the leg. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the door seal was a manufacturers design. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 250.

- Wyandotte, MI, USA