2013 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 202016

Door ajar issue. The door doesnt want to latch and the dome light stays on. Doesnt matter if your driving or stationary the issue still persists. While driving it will tell you onboard that you have to put the car and park and close the door. Very dangerous.

- Boise, ID, USA

Mar 212016

A pillar exterior trim cover piece flew off on the expressway, a friends has done the same thing and after checking on line this seems to be a commons problem.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Mar 012016

The driver side "door ajar" alarm is constantly on, even though the door is firmly closed and secure.the alarm keeps going off and the dome light is on while the vehicle is in motion for a dangerous period of time. This seems to be a common and dangerous complaint for similar vehicles in similar years.according to what I have read online and watched online there are a lot of like vehicles out there with this problem.

- Holland, MI, USA

Mar 162016

The driver's side door sensor is not working properly. It can take up to 10 minutes for the door ajar light to turn off, even though you can slam the door shut 20 times.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Mar 232016

I was standing at a red light and was rear ended by a speeding driver. I was catapulted into the truck standing in front of me. The front end of the car was totaled, as well as the frame bent from the rear; where I was hit originally only milliseconds before. I bought the vehicle because of the air bag protection, no airbags deployed. A fireman on scene commented that he could not believe that the airbags did not deploy. My vehicle is in the police impound lot, because of an accident resulting in injuries. I have since shown the pictures to several people, even mechanics; and they have all stated that there is something wrong with the airbags, since they did not deploy. The insurance company is demanding that I release the vehicle to them immediately.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Feb 192016

Paint bubbles on hood inside and out with corrosion, 2) power steering failing, recall for issue in effect, but, not mine have to pay $2000 for repairs, unable to steer while driving low speed

- Erie, PA, USA

Jan 222016

The paint is bubbling and flaking off the edge of the hood. Ford refused to assist.

- Island Lake, IL, USA

Nov 012014

Paint corrosion/bubbling on edge of aluminum hood. Ford will not honor the warranty. Cost to fix issue is approximately $500-$750. Clearly a manufacturing issue during paint process with thousands of complaints.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Jan 182016

While I was driving on the highway doing 65mph, the moldings both left and right that are attached to the front windshield flew off and could have caused an accident or something more serious. Now I am left with all the nuts and bolts exposed and Ford will not cover, instead they want me to pay $500 to fix it. I just purchased this vehicle 6 months ago and have read online of this same thing happening to many others who were told they would have to pay as well. Ford is lucky no one was seriously hurt, I want this investigated so no future accidents happen.

- Salem, NH, USA

Nov 302015

I was washing my car this weekend and noticed bubbles under the paint on the edge of my 2013 Ford Explorer hood. I immediately thought it was rust and went straight to the dealer. Once at the body shop they told me they have seen many Ford with aluminum hoods with the same problem but they could not help me cause I was over 36K miles. Apparently this problem goes back to 2007. I could not believe Ford had the audacity to knowingly practice a manufacturing process that had undesirable results. I called Ford and they claimed they could not help me. To make it worse, they claim it was not a known issue, hence no recall. Waiting to hear from a supervisor, but now I know I will not get a favorable response until we receive results of class action lawsuit in NJ. Btw, my one dealer claims a considerable larger amount of repairs than complaints you see here.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Dec 042015

Driver's door latch will not move. Door will not close. Door ajar light stays on.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 022015

Paint on hood has corroded causing the paint to peel off. It is happening all along bottom edge of hood. Car has been garage kept.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 152015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the interior door handle in the rear of the vehicle fractured. The contact stated that the door was not able to be opened from inside the vehicle. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V171000 (structure). The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Fairfax Station, VA, USA

Oct 012015

Paint is bubbling up on the hood of the car. Called Ford and they say its out of warranty sorry. The car is only 2 years old this should not be happening to a 40,00 dollar car.

- Hobe Sound, FL, USA

Jul 302015

For the past 2 months the drivers door is saying it is open when it is shut. The dome lights stay on which makes it hard to see at night. The doors will also not lock. That is very unsafe if you have children in the back when driving down the highway. They can easily open the door and possible fall out. I have read multiple complaints on this issue for Ford owners. Ford should really do a recall on this very dangerous defect.

- Alexandria , KY, USA

Aug 202015

Corrosion (oxidation) on the hood of the vehicle. Not necessarily a safety concern but a concern non the less. I entered, through my local Ford dealer, a prior approval claim for the damage and was turned down, Ford says they don't warranty rust claims unless the part has rusted through. Searching on google, "Ford hood rusting", I see that this is a national problem and that Ford is well aware of the issue, yet they continue to deny claims.

- Mt Horeb, WI, USA

Sep 012015

Paint on hood is bubbling. Dealer will not honor Ford's 5-year extended corrosion coverage period because the body panel is not showing a hole "though" the body panel. The warranty defines the coverage only if the body panel becomes perforated due to corrosion from normal use. However, nowhere in the warranty does it state it must be through the body panels. In my book, the definition of perforation is a pattern of holes, and the definition of a hole is a hollow place in a solid body or a cavity or a pit. The paint is definitely showing a pattern of cavities or pits yet the dealer does not agree.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Jun 202015

Exhaust is entering the passenger compartment through the front and rear air conditioning vents when the engine is accelerated to 3500 RPM or above. I noticed this condition while driving around town, when passing another car or accelerating to enter the freeway, but the problem was really evident on a recent driving vacation from Kansas City to seattle wa. We went through several mountainous states and it was terrible, the car was constantly accelerating above 3500 RPM to maintain speed on up hill grades, the car constantly reeked of exhaust. We had to roll the windows down to keep it aired out. I took the car to my Ford dealer when I returned from the trip, they said there is no problem. I am not going to argue with Ford over this, I have purchased a carbon monoxide meter which I keep in the car and have recorded carbon monoxide in the cabin as high as 15 ppm during acceleration. This car needs to be recalled, I have read that I am not alone, this problem exists on Ford Explorer manufactured from 2011 - 2015. Why ?

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Mar 232015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V171000 (structure) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 062015

Explorer 6-cyl

With just over 37,000 miles on the vehicle, I noticed that the paint on the hood was bubbling and flaking off. It had obviously been occurring long before I first noticed it. I brought it to my Ford dealer who told me it is a common problem for those vehicles because the hood is made out of aluminum and vibration from driving causes the paint to fracture which results in this problem. He also told me that it was not covered under warranty because I had over 36,000 miles, even though the problem had been there when it still fell under that warranty. I then did some research on the internet and found several sites with an enormous amount of complaints from 2013 and 2014 Explorer owners who were having the same problem. (a few examples of the sites I saw are,, and A google search will provide many more). I then contacted Ford Motor Company directly and spoke to a representative there. They said they were aware of the problem but no recall was going to be issued, and nothing could be done regarding my specific problem. After complaining profusely and having my issue elevated to a regional manager, Ford agreed to partially pay for the repair. However, I (along with the many others who are having this problem) feel that this is a manufacturing defect and should be covered fully by Ford. While this may not be a "safety" issue, I am hoping that this complaint will at least have someone from your Agency look into this matter to see if Ford should be forced to recall these vehicles due to this manufacturing defect. After all, a vehicle that is one to two years old should not be deteriorating in this manner. Any help or information you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- Schenectady, NY, USA