2013 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 042016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. After it rained, the vehicle accumulated water on the interior passenger floor, the seat belts were saturated, and water entered through the vents and poured out from the headlights. When the vehicle came to a stop, the contact heard the sound of water throughout the body of the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact also observed the smell of mold. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there were no open recalls. The failure mileage was approximately 45,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 292016

Takata recall Ford 2013 Explorer was taken into harrison Ford, wellington oh on May 5/15/2015 for NHTSA recall 15V171 (interior door handle spring). Dropped off and picked up same day. Explorer was and still having signals as front driver side ajar. For a while the door had quit to my knowledge. Fast forward to today 9/29/2016 Explorer was taken into dealership for continuous displacement for door being "ajar". dealership above printed the notes about car having factory recall being done. Even the service desk clerk questioned said notes from technician. As a result I was charged $106.94 for a diagnostic, and Explorer was not fixed. I even asked why would my VIN show up on this website " NHTSA". no answer. The driver door will not close, per my information screen. It concerns me if it is not closed, could it be the spring from the recall that was not fixed? I do have an invoice attached to show work was supposedly completed on said day. Also today I was charged $2.55 for a handle I was never made aware of today 9/29/2016

- Lagrange, OH, USA

Jul 222016

The driver side door at times will not latch, has swung open while driving, and the door handle at times is almost falling off.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Nov 012015

Corrosion bubbles on hood. It is a sahem on a 2013 truck.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Jan 042016

While driving at night on a back road the driver's side door of my Ford Explorer suddenly opened for no reason while the vehicle was in motion. The sudden door opening caused me to swerve and I hit the passenger side mirror on a sign post. Upon examination after pulling over, the driver's side door handle appeared to be defective. It had fallen apart, a small latch in the handle was broken causing it come loose on the exterior of the door for no reason. The driver's side door handle, the passenger side mirror, and the passenger side window ended up having to be replaced. Due to resourcefulness of my husband, we were able to obtain parts and repair the damages ourselves but the cost of the parts alone totaled in excess of $400.

- Jenkintown, PA, USA

May 022016

I purchased this car brand new and then not long meaning months 6 months or so after owning it after a rain I started hearing splashing sounds from the back and I found water all in the back where the spare tire is located and then water all in the back seat floor and under the drivers seat. The dealership would not look at the car as they blamed me for not rolling up my windows and after complaining to the owner they were forced to look and found the back hatch had a crack up under the rack area, which was causing water to come in the car, the sun roof small tubes clogged and covered by a rubber lining causing water to back up into the back seat floors. I was told this was something I needed to take care of as I needed to blow are pressure in these small tubes often to clear debris to prevent water from backing up and going into the back seat. This is a design flaw and the car smells of mold and still is taking in so much water and the floor I feel is going to rust out and render the car useless. As I have owned many cars with sunroofs and never have I ever had to do that and others who own this kind of car do not have this issue.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Jun 262016

In two separate incidents, while driving 70 mph on an interstate, the windshield trim flew off the vehicle striking another vehicle on the interstate. The trim came off both the driver and passenger sides of the vehicle.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 192016

3rd row drivers side seat belt leaks water. Multiple online inquiries from others. Affects usability of the seatbelt.

- Decatur, TX, USA

Oct 012015

Exhaust fumes in occupant compartment. While accelerating exhaust fumes are entering the passenger cabin. This problem is not limited to just the Explorer. Our 2013 Ford edge also had the same issue.

- Geneva, FL, USA

Sep 012015

As with most Ford's my Explorer has significant paint bubbling on the hood. It is a known problem with Ford's and they never mentioned it to me as an owner. I only noticed it after an unrelated fender bender and the body shop pointed it out to me. My vehicle was already out of warranty by a few thousand miles but clearly the problem did not just occur after they warranty ended but I never though to look at the paint on my hood. If Ford had done the right thing and told owners to look out for this known defect and correct any defective hoods regardless of the warranty, it would have shown some loyalty to its customers. I am done buying Ford's and will advise anyone I know not to buy Ford.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Sep 152015

Aluminum hood corrosion causing paint to bubble and chip.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Jul 082016

My Ford Explorer ltd. Is about 3.5 yrs. Old. Ever since it hit about 40,000 miles, the paint on the hood has started to bubble and is peeling/chipping off from the front edge. This is a known issue that Ford is refusing to address. A simple google search brings up a number of results of people having similar issues ( It's very troubling that a $45,000 car that is only a few years old already has bubbling paint and a corroding hood and that it seems to be a pervasive issue that many owners are dealing with. While the damage is not that extensive right now, it gets worse each day and is going to eventually lead to rust and complete corrosion if it's not dealt with upfront. I've attached a couple photos that shows the current state at about 61,000 miles. I've tried to reach out to Ford a number of times and the only response I can get from them is that it's the dealership's issue whether they can do anything for it and when I've brought it to a dealership they say they can't do anything because Ford tells them nothing is covered.

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Jun 012016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. Upon inspection, the contact noticed that there was water where the spare tire was located. As a result, there was moisture on the carpet. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 122016

Paint is bubbling and separating from the front of the hood on the top and underneath of the surface. No break in paint noticed from the surface. Showed to dealer and they sent on to Ford with no resolution.

- Richland Center, WI, USA

May 142016

In September 2014 the driver's side "a" pillar cover/exterior windshield molding flew off of my 2013 Explorer. I was going approximately 55mph on a two lane highway. It was replaced by the Ford dealership at no cost because we had just purchased the vehicle. Fast forward to May 2016 and the passenger side "a" pillar cover/exterior windshield molding blew off on the same two lane highway going approximately 55mph. I am currently working with the dealership to have this repaired out of pocket.

- Hampton, VA, USA

May 162016

Door ajar notification, stays on even though door is secure, causing power failure from battery drainage,

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

May 022016

Paint is bubbling and separating from the front of the hood on the top and underneath of the surface. Vehicle is stationary.

- Forest Hill, MD, USA

May 092016

I was driving on the highway doing 65 mph and my driver side moldings/trim on the driver side of the windshield flew off, which caused the truck behind me to have to swerve. Had it been a sedan or compact car it would have cause accident. Luckily it didn't in this case. I called the dealership and was told that this is common and it a defect in the design, the manufacturer is aware and the new design keeps the air from getting behind the molding causing it to come off. If the manufacturer is aware, why has there not been a recall as this could have cause or could cause an accident.

- Lake Worth, TX, USA

May 052016

Piece of trim along the wind shield flew off while driving on an interstate highway at 65 M.P.H.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Apr 042016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while starting the vehicle, the driver side door failed to secure. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the door latch failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 68,000. Updated 06/29/16

- Catlett, VA, USA