8.5

1. replace throttle body (21 reports)
2016 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

2016 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 162016

Explorer XLT 2.3L Litre

Purchased this vehicle in July of 2016. Ran good for 2 months and than every once in awhile you would go to pass someone or try to enter the freeway from the on ramp and nothing. The engine stays running at idle but no acceleration. As you play with the accelerator it spits and sputters and than will eventually accelerate. This has probably happened about 6-8 times now. Have taken to the Dealer with no satisfaction, all they tell you is can't duplicate condition and no codes stored. This is a dangerous problem that Ford needs to address, but I'm sure because there aren't a lot of complaints they're going to wait till someone dies in an accident before they investigate the problem.

- , Novelty, OH, USA

Nov 232016

Explorer V6

Purchased in January 2016. Explorer currently has just under 6,000 miles. While driving approximately 35 miles an hour on a busy road in San Antonio the vehicle power shut down. A wrench light came on asking that we read the manual. We were almost hit by another vehicle. My husband turned the key off and then on twice only to gain the ability to move forward at about 5 miles per hour. We got off the busy road and onto a side street. We were almost hit again by a huge truck. It was horrifying. He turned the vehicle off a third time. When he turned the key to start, the vehicle did come back on to full power although service lights were now on panel.

Did research only to find the exact diagnosis of a defective throttle body that seems to be an ongoing problem with this vehicle. We took the vehicle into the Ford dealer and told him about the numerous complaints on this site. The manager said it had happened to him as well with his wife and children in the car. We asked about how many vehicles have had this problem and he said approximately 20%. We asked about a recall on the part? He said there was none because not all of the vehicles have this problem. I was not comfortable with that answer. Does Ford not realize that this is a seriously dangerous situation? Will someone have to die (if they haven't already) before Ford recalls?

The manager at Ford agreed that there should be a recall. He also said Ford would have to see if it was a computer problem first. I demanded they replace the throttle body and they did. We're picking up the car today and I'm hoping never to have the problem again, however, I'm not sure I'm going to feel completely safe in this car. I am taking this problem a step further by writing to Ford headquarters and to the United States Office of Consumer Affairs (I believe is authority over them) to document this serious issue. I also recommend you do the same if it's happened to you. Thank you for this site. It's very informative.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 012016

Explorer 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

loss of power while driving loss of power while driving

EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!!!! The car SUDDENLY LOSES POWER!!!!

(new car--purchased in November 2015---CURRENT mileage on odometer: 6287)

- , Irvine, CA, USA

Apr 122016

Explorer XLT 4x4 3.6L

So we purchased our Explorer January 1st 2016. We have since had the throttle body replaced and the transmission fixed leaving it in the shop for a total of 60 days. On top of that the dealership scratched the truck both times we brought it in for an oil change. That took a total of 15 days for paint both times. We have since contacted Ford and filed a complaint. They have agreed to buy the vehicle back and reimburse us for all the payments we have made as well as pay the vehicle loan off completely. We will be returning the vehicle to the dealership this month and will buy a different vehicle. The issues with the truck has been a major pain, but we feel as if Ford has stepped up to make it right for us.

- , Peoria, AZ, USA

Oct 272016

Explorer

I was driving and the yellow wrench light went on and my engine lost power. The car was running, but it would not accelerate. Luckily I was on a side street a few houses away from home. It had to be towed to the dealership. I will find out the results tomorrow.

- , Rocky River, OH, USA

Sep 012016

Explorer Sport V6

Car began chugging and lugging, especially when pulling hills at approx. 1000 miles. Took to a dealership and they replaced the throttle body. Problem has decreased but still remains. It acts like a standard transmission vehicle and feels like the RPMs are not high enough to pull, because when I have it in sport mode and keep the RPMs above 2000, it doesn't do it, or at least I can't feel it. I've noticed that the transmission shifts very early, never higher than 2000 rpms, and remains around 1500-1800 rpms when driving. That seems low to me but I'm not a mechanic. I just want this problem fixed!! It's a huge annoyance and I wonder when its going to completely crap out on me. No engine light so far, and I'm taking back to dealer for re-inspection. Hopefully Ford will get their sh*t together and fix the problem!! Brand new 50k dollar vehicle!

- , Elkins, WV, USA

Oct 052016

Explorer Limited 3.2L

Traveling north on the Loop 101 at approx. 72 MPH when the car suddenly decelerated to about 20 MPH. Engine light came on with the wrench stating that I need to read the manual and the airbag light came on. Well have to ever tried to maneuver through three lanes of traffic going over 70 MPH and they want you to read the manual!! I called Ford Roadside assistance. What a waste of time!! Took an hour and a half to finally have a tow truck appear.

You pay $50,000 for a vehicle and it breaks down after 10,000 miles and then they don't even care about getting you the help you need. It's in the shop today so I am waiting for them to call and tell me if they have found anything. Then they give me this little Fiesta to drive. It's like driving a skateboard. Can't even fit in the dam thing. I can see that there are many notices about this same issue.

- , Peoria, AZ, USA

Oct 042016

Explorer V6

My car is shutting off acceleration everyday on the way to and from work during rush hour traffic at speeds above 65 mph. I have to try not to crash and pull over the side of the road. Yesterday the dealership performed a software update they hoped would fix it. It didn't. Today they are test driving it to see if it is the throttle control part or something else. I am scared to drive it and wish I could just sink the money I have lost on paying for it the past couple of months and get my Jeep I traded in back. Very dangerous and disruptive.

- , Chesterfield, VA, USA

Apr 132016

Explorer LX 3.2L V6

My wife was trying to pick up the kids from 2 different schools, miles apart, and then bring the kids to her mom's house to watch them while my wife went back to work. This left my wife stranded and we had to call a tow truck, get towed in, get a rental car from the dealership. The worst part is this was just the beginning of the issues. I bought a brand new car so I wouldn't have to worry about my wife being stranded with the kids and the brand new car had less than 4,000 miles.

- , Bradenton, FL, USA

Aug 122016

Explorer XLT 3.5L

While driving through Kalamazoo. MI at rush hour on I-94, we suddenly lost engine speed. We had to glide to the expressway shoulder at 5 mph......VERY unsafe for all. We count our blessings that no one was hurt. The powertrain fault (wrench) light was illuminated along with check owners manual. The engine/transmission would only permit us to limp along at 5 mph. We were extremely fortunate to be near an exit, so we limped along to a gas station. We called Ford Roadside Assistance and arranged a tow to Zeigler Lincoln in Kalamazoo. We only have great things to say about Zeigler....very professional and helpful--a real class outfit. It was late in the day, so Zeigler helped us arrange a rental vehicle with which to get home (we live in Ann Arbor about 100 miles away). Zeigler called the next day and informed us they changed out a defective throttle body and the Explorer was fixed (again, only great things to say about Zeigler!). We picked up the Explorer and it has been fine since.

We keep hearing and reading chatter about Explorer throttle body problems and possible issues with associated software. IS THIS PROBLEM TRULY FIXED OR DO WE RISK GOING THROUGH THIS AGAIN?? My wife has a trip to Chicago this coming week and no way will I let her drive this Explorer until we feel confident this doesn't recur. We leased this vehicle with the likelihood that we would buy it at the end of the lease, but purchasing this vehicle is not an option now.

- , Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Aug 222016

Explorer LX V6

Driving in rush hour traffic with my 6 month old daughter my engine just shut off in the middle lane. A wrench light and seat belt warning came on and my suv stalled. My brand new 2016 Ford Explorer that I specifically leased for the safety of my daughter almost got both of us killed. I am furious, I had a great Buick prior with no issues and traded it in for this Explorer. I looked into my options since I am not scared to death to drive in it and I am basically screwed. The tow truck which was covered took me to the closest Ford dealer, they of course had no loaners, so now I am without a car and super stressed. After reading many reviews online, this problem seems to keep occurring, Ford needs to do a recall.

- , Woonsocket, RI, USA

Aug 152016

Explorer XLT V6

Driving alone in an area with poor cell coverage, heard a noise, like a pop, the car immediately lost power. It felt like my gas supply got cut off. The "wrench" light message came on as did the front air bag light. At this time, the engine was rough running & loud. I pulled over and turned the engine off. I waited a minute & started the car, only to feel the car running rough and loud. Now the "engine" and the "front air bag" light came on and stayed on, the "wrench" light disappeared. I shut the car off, walked 2 miles towards home until I got cell reception to call home. Forty-five minutes later my husband rescued me. The Explorer started up, he drove it home (8 miles) with the "engine" light on and it ran fine. The "engine" light is still on.

- , Grahamsville, USA

Aug 202016

Explorer

Driving on busy highway at 60 mph with young grandchildren when lost power. Almost killed ourselves making way to the shoulder of the road with cars swerving around us. Problem was throttle body which, as I have learned through research, is a perpetual problem for Ford vehicles. The dealer was good about replacing the part right away and at no cost, but the part is the same one which was subject to failure. Just spoke with customer service at Ford and I am extremely disappointed that they are not more pro-active about making this part more reliable and mitigating the risk of drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Berwyn, PA, USA

Aug 062016

Explorer XLT V6

My new 2016 Ford Explorer suddenly cut the engine power while driving, it was late at night, glad I had my husband with me-- pulled over to shoulder to re-start engine-- this happened about 3 times while trying to get home. Took it to the Ford dealer first thing in the am-- the check-engine light was on but it didn't cut out. I am awaiting the response from the dealer.

- , La Plata, MD, USA

Jul 222016

Explorer

I was driving with my kids on 6/22/2016 and my car nearly came to a complete stop, luckily I was not on the freeway and pulled over to the nearest parking lot. The engine light, airbag light, and a wrench light all came on although the air conditioner and radio stood on. I called Triple A and had my car towed to my place because I had 3 small kids with me and could not lug them to the Ford dealership with me. Later that evening I started the car and it drove so I parked my car in the garage and the following morning I drove to Galpin Ford and the same issue happened again. I called Triple A again and had it towed to the service dept, the Service Consultant was very helpful and gave me an ETA on getting my car fixed by Monday. I told him that I needed a loaner and he said they only have rentals and that I would need to take it up with Ford on getting a credit if I wanted to get reimbursed. I needed to call an 800 # and was given a CAS #, I hold the dealership that I needed a vehicle that was equivalent to the Explorer due to my family size and they said they could not accommodate my needs. I spoke to a manager and made an issue of the car rental and he stated that they will move my car up to the line and that I was lucky because I came to the dealership without an appointment, my car was fixed within the next hour. I stated that this issue was unacceptable being that this was a new car and that my family could have been put into real danger. After the car was fixed , I requested a complimentary oil change and a thorough check of the car as I am planning a trip to Oregon and I was given a business card to get into contact with the Service Drive Manager. The service manager called me on Monday stated that because I had not purchased a service plan that they would not give me an oil change or do a thorough service check and he stated that the car should now be okay because the throttle was now fixed. This is/was my first Ford vehicle and I honestly do not think that I will be a returning customer due to the lack of customer service and concern for my family.

- , Chatsworth, CA, USA

Jun 252016

Explorer XLT V6

Loss of power when on an interstate road. Wrench light came on. Was not able to accelerate. Completely unsafe and unacceptable on a brand new car.

Update from Jul 22, 2016: Brought the car to a Ford dealer. We were away for the weekend. Dealer looked at car on Monday 6/27. We were told it was the throttle body and there was a 23 day backorder on the part and that Ford would not pay for a comparable vehicle rental until the repair was complete. Utterly unacceptable. Dealer was able to somehow obtain the part and replaced it for us since we missed 3 days of work and were unable to get home. Otherwise Ford would have us waiting at least 23 days and we would be out thousands of dollars to rent an SUV. Furthermore, my son would not have been able to drive a rental since he is only 19.

- , Hasbrouck Heights, NJ, USA

Jul 212016

Explorer XLT 3.5L V6

On July 21, 2016 while driving on a 6 lane highway outside of Columbus, Ohio my vehicle went into the "limp mode" with the wrench, engine and airbag icons showing. Fortunately I was able to coast into the right side of the highway. I started and shut off the engine several times but it stayed in the limp mode which was basically an idle. I call the nearest Ford dealer to make sure they had a loaner car. Germain Ford said no. I called Chapman Ford which is further away and they said they had a loaner car. I then called Roadside Assistance and demanded my explorer be towed to Chapman which it was. I investigated and found this is a known problem which happens with relatively low mileage explorers; therefore, I assume that a new supplier has come into the picture and proper testing has not been done. Without warning and going into limp mode is very dangerous and someone is going to get hurt or killed because of this. The system can be designed to give us a warning that it is going into limp mode shortly and not immediately unless the problem is going to cause major damage. I doubt that this throttle body issue needs to shut down the engine immediately. I should know more than most as I retired from one of Ford's engine manufacturing plants form the QC Dept. I mentioned this Germain dealership as when a vehicle is under warranty and it needs repaired, there is no excuse for the customer NOT to get a loaner car. I did a study once and found Japanese fix their cars immediately or even secretly so the vehicle problem is not on the customers mind very long.

- , Marysville, OH, USA

Jul 232016

Explorer Base Model 2.3L

Just bought a new 2016 Ford Explored Base model last March 2016. Today July 23, 2016 while I was driving with my wife and 2 sons and a new 18 months on a 45 mile/hr busy road the engine just turned off and a wrench and air bag light appeared on the screen with a message to see owner's manual. The gas pedal would not work but the AC and radio was still on, it seemed like the car was on "neutral" mode, thankfully it was after rush hour so the traffic was light and I was able to steer the car to the middle center lane. Turned the car on and off maybe 3 times before it went away and we were able to drive the car. As soon as we got home, got online and saw all these posts about the same issue I got really scare I could not believe this is happening on a new car. Will call the dealership tomorrow or Monday, I don't trust driving on the highway and this happens. Hopefully they can shed some light as to what needs to be done, but by the recent posts here it seems like this is a major issue that Ford is dealing with. I just don't understand why they still sell these cars if they know there is an issue with the "powertrain". This is the last car I buy from Ford if they don't fix my car right...

Update from Jul 27, 2016: Updating my complaint: I took my car to the dealer where I bough it Monday morning 7-25-16 since I bough extended warranty on it I didn't have any problem getting my car fix they told me they would check my car Tuesday afternoon thanks God my car was fix the same day they found bad Throttle body thanks to Baytown ford TX I hope never have to go back again...

- , Pasadena, TX, USA

Jul 082016

Explorer XLT 3.5L

This is a significant safety issue with the 2016 Ford Explorer. Driving on the highway, the engine will drop to idle. There will be no response to any accelerator action after that. Slowly putting accelerator to floor, and the engine remains at about 800 RPM. This occurs in the middle of traffic. My family is in the car. THIS IS NOT A UNIQUE PROBLEM. I have read many complaints about this and they are all practically identical. Pull of the road . . . turn off the car . . . start it back up . . . get on the road . . . works fine until it happens again. Three times to me so far. Occurred while on vacation. Now my car is at an unfamiliar Ford dealer over 200 miles away. Please "www.carcomplaints.com" get Ford to fix this issue now before someone gets hurt or killed.

- , Ivoryton, CT, USA

Jun 152016

Explorer V6

Throttle body sensor on back order until July. The dealer provided a rental car while I wait.

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA