8.4

1. replace throttle body (22 reports)
  3. repair transmission (1 reports)
2016 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

2016 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 212017

Explorer Limited

Heading home after work with my wife's Explorer, pulled away from traffic light and lost all power, engine still running, but even with foot all the way to the floor, the vehicle was just barely moving. Was able to get over to side of road, shut off, waited a few minutes and then tried starting again, seems to work okay, not sure what problem was, just know it was very inconvient

- , Yellowknife, NT, Canada

Mar 262017

Explorer Limited

Left the house with wife and grand kids, turned from one street to another made the turn went about 20 feet and the car just died, stepped on fuel and nothing, could hear the engine running but no power at all with foot to the floor. Wrench light came on and my wife said that something came up about check the manual, but I was too busy trying to get the car out of the lane of travel before somebody ran into me. Thank God it was a quiet day for traffic or it may have been a bad accident. Got it over to side of road, shut it off, let it sit for a few minutes and tried to start to see if it would move, worked okay, made appointment at local

Ford Dealer and they said because I shut it off and started it back up they couldn't tell what the problem was. Wanted me to leave it for a week or so, to see if they could find the problem, as according to them this is the first time they have ever heard of this and their is nothing in Ford Canada's system about it. Starting to think I should have stayed with Chrysler/Dodge, not impressed one bit.

- , Yellowknife, NT, Canada

Aug 262016

Explorer AWS 3.5L V6

The car suddenly lost all power during the driving, I barely move car to the shoulder. the is wrench light on. I turned off the car and restarted it (it took few tries to restart the car.) The car can be started by with engine light on. I drove the car to the dealer next Monday and they told me the replaced the throttle body. I have a friend has the same 2016 ford explorer and met the same issue. I think Ford known it problem and just don't want to take any action. I feel disappoint with ford since I have brought this car to dealers 3 times within one year.

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Oct 052016

Explorer XLT 3.5L V6

Was traveling on I-96 at 60-65 MPH fairly heavy traffic in the left center lane. The wrench light and check in light came on and loss of acceleration. Luckily was able to move to the left shoulder without incident. The engine was running very rough and I shut the engine off. The wrench light message gave a message to check manual. I started to call for roadside service and was on hold for a short amount of time. I hung up and tried to start the car as I was approximately a mile from the next exit. I was able to start the car. The wrench light was off but the check engine light remained on. I was able to get the car to accelerate normally and decided to try and get to the next exit. I was able to cross to the right lanes but the same thing happened and was not able to make it to the exit but at least I was on the right shoulder.

My opinion is that this issue could be a big hazard. I was fortunate to have traffic that was light enough to allow me to maneuver but if this were to happen while making a left hand turn across traffic, heavy traffic or close following traffic this could have been a bad accident.

Will update when fixed. It was dropped off on Wednesday night, dealership did not get to it Thursday and it is now Friday afternoon.

- , Wolverine Lake, MI, USA

Sep 162016

Explorer XLT 2.3L Litre

Purchased this vehicle in July of 2016. Ran good for 2 months and than every once in awhile you would go to pass someone or try to enter the freeway from the on ramp and nothing. The engine stays running at idle but no acceleration. As you play with the accelerator it spits and sputters and than will eventually accelerate. This has probably happened about 6-8 times now. Have taken to the Dealer with no satisfaction, all they tell you is can't duplicate condition and no codes stored. This is a dangerous problem that Ford needs to address, but I'm sure because there aren't a lot of complaints they're going to wait till someone dies in an accident before they investigate the problem.

- , Novelty, OH, USA

Nov 232016

Explorer V6

Purchased in January 2016. Explorer currently has just under 6,000 miles. While driving approximately 35 miles an hour on a busy road in San Antonio the vehicle power shut down. A wrench light came on asking that we read the manual. We were almost hit by another vehicle. My husband turned the key off and then on twice only to gain the ability to move forward at about 5 miles per hour. We got off the busy road and onto a side street. We were almost hit again by a huge truck. It was horrifying. He turned the vehicle off a third time. When he turned the key to start, the vehicle did come back on to full power although service lights were now on panel.

Did research only to find the exact diagnosis of a defective throttle body that seems to be an ongoing problem with this vehicle. We took the vehicle into the Ford dealer and told him about the numerous complaints on this site. The manager said it had happened to him as well with his wife and children in the car. We asked about how many vehicles have had this problem and he said approximately 20%. We asked about a recall on the part? He said there was none because not all of the vehicles have this problem. I was not comfortable with that answer. Does Ford not realize that this is a seriously dangerous situation? Will someone have to die (if they haven't already) before Ford recalls?

The manager at Ford agreed that there should be a recall. He also said Ford would have to see if it was a computer problem first. I demanded they replace the throttle body and they did. We're picking up the car today and I'm hoping never to have the problem again, however, I'm not sure I'm going to feel completely safe in this car. I am taking this problem a step further by writing to Ford headquarters and to the United States Office of Consumer Affairs (I believe is authority over them) to document this serious issue. I also recommend you do the same if it's happened to you. Thank you for this site. It's very informative.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 182016

Explorer Platinum 3.5L EcoBoost

Driving at highway speed when suddenly my 2016 Explorer lost power when I attempted to pass another vehicle. My instrument display lit up and read something like "Terrain management system fault - check owners manual" message on left hand side LCD cluster. This message stayed lit for under a minute and was replaced with a little orange wrench. Anyway, its Friday morning and I was able to limp 25 miles back to my dealer where they took all of my information and sent me on my merry way.

Well that Friday afternoon I received a call from Ron, the service department manager, who advised me that a "Snap Ring" within the transmission had failed and that the transmission had to be broken down and repaired.

Anyway, in reading all of the different problems with Ford and there many engine issues my problem seemed to be more like a "Throttle Body" failure. Hopefully I get my explorer back next week but only time will tell.

- , Chicago, IL, US

Oct 012016

Explorer 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

loss of power while driving loss of power while driving

EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!!!! The car SUDDENLY LOSES POWER!!!!

(new car--purchased in November 2015---CURRENT mileage on odometer: 6287)

- , Irvine, CA, USA

Apr 122016

Explorer XLT 4x4 3.6L

So we purchased our Explorer January 1st 2016. We have since had the throttle body replaced and the transmission fixed leaving it in the shop for a total of 60 days. On top of that the dealership scratched the truck both times we brought it in for an oil change. That took a total of 15 days for paint both times. We have since contacted Ford and filed a complaint. They have agreed to buy the vehicle back and reimburse us for all the payments we have made as well as pay the vehicle loan off completely. We will be returning the vehicle to the dealership this month and will buy a different vehicle. The issues with the truck has been a major pain, but we feel as if Ford has stepped up to make it right for us.

- , Peoria, AZ, US

Oct 272016

Explorer

I was driving and the yellow wrench light went on and my engine lost power. The car was running, but it would not accelerate. Luckily I was on a side street a few houses away from home. It had to be towed to the dealership. I will find out the results tomorrow.

- , Rocky River, OH, USA

Sep 012016

Explorer Sport V6

Car began chugging and lugging, especially when pulling hills at approx. 1000 miles. Took to a dealership and they replaced the throttle body. Problem has decreased but still remains. It acts like a standard transmission vehicle and feels like the RPMs are not high enough to pull, because when I have it in sport mode and keep the RPMs above 2000, it doesn't do it, or at least I can't feel it. I've noticed that the transmission shifts very early, never higher than 2000 rpms, and remains around 1500-1800 rpms when driving. That seems low to me but I'm not a mechanic. I just want this problem fixed!! It's a huge annoyance and I wonder when its going to completely crap out on me. No engine light so far, and I'm taking back to dealer for re-inspection. Hopefully Ford will get their sh*t together and fix the problem!! Brand new 50k dollar vehicle!

- , Elkins, WV, USA

Oct 052016

Explorer Limited 3.2L

Traveling north on the Loop 101 at approx. 72 MPH when the car suddenly decelerated to about 20 MPH. Engine light came on with the wrench stating that I need to read the manual and the airbag light came on. Well have to ever tried to maneuver through three lanes of traffic going over 70 MPH and they want you to read the manual!! I called Ford Roadside assistance. What a waste of time!! Took an hour and a half to finally have a tow truck appear.

You pay $50,000 for a vehicle and it breaks down after 10,000 miles and then they don't even care about getting you the help you need. It's in the shop today so I am waiting for them to call and tell me if they have found anything. Then they give me this little Fiesta to drive. It's like driving a skateboard. Can't even fit in the dam thing. I can see that there are many notices about this same issue.

- , Peoria, AZ, USA

Oct 042016

Explorer V6

My car is shutting off acceleration everyday on the way to and from work during rush hour traffic at speeds above 65 mph. I have to try not to crash and pull over the side of the road. Yesterday the dealership performed a software update they hoped would fix it. It didn't. Today they are test driving it to see if it is the throttle control part or something else. I am scared to drive it and wish I could just sink the money I have lost on paying for it the past couple of months and get my Jeep I traded in back. Very dangerous and disruptive.

- , Chesterfield, VA, USA

Apr 132016

Explorer LX 3.2L V6

My wife was trying to pick up the kids from 2 different schools, miles apart, and then bring the kids to her mom's house to watch them while my wife went back to work. This left my wife stranded and we had to call a tow truck, get towed in, get a rental car from the dealership. The worst part is this was just the beginning of the issues. I bought a brand new car so I wouldn't have to worry about my wife being stranded with the kids and the brand new car had less than 4,000 miles.

- , Bradenton, FL, USA

Aug 122016

Explorer XLT 3.5L

While driving through Kalamazoo. MI at rush hour on I-94, we suddenly lost engine speed. We had to glide to the expressway shoulder at 5 mph......VERY unsafe for all. We count our blessings that no one was hurt. The powertrain fault (wrench) light was illuminated along with check owners manual. The engine/transmission would only permit us to limp along at 5 mph. We were extremely fortunate to be near an exit, so we limped along to a gas station. We called Ford Roadside Assistance and arranged a tow to Zeigler Lincoln in Kalamazoo. We only have great things to say about Zeigler....very professional and helpful--a real class outfit. It was late in the day, so Zeigler helped us arrange a rental vehicle with which to get home (we live in Ann Arbor about 100 miles away). Zeigler called the next day and informed us they changed out a defective throttle body and the Explorer was fixed (again, only great things to say about Zeigler!). We picked up the Explorer and it has been fine since.

We keep hearing and reading chatter about Explorer throttle body problems and possible issues with associated software. IS THIS PROBLEM TRULY FIXED OR DO WE RISK GOING THROUGH THIS AGAIN?? My wife has a trip to Chicago this coming week and no way will I let her drive this Explorer until we feel confident this doesn't recur. We leased this vehicle with the likelihood that we would buy it at the end of the lease, but purchasing this vehicle is not an option now.

- , Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Aug 222016

Explorer LX V6

Driving in rush hour traffic with my 6 month old daughter my engine just shut off in the middle lane. A wrench light and seat belt warning came on and my suv stalled. My brand new 2016 Ford Explorer that I specifically leased for the safety of my daughter almost got both of us killed. I am furious, I had a great Buick prior with no issues and traded it in for this Explorer. I looked into my options since I am not scared to death to drive in it and I am basically screwed. The tow truck which was covered took me to the closest Ford dealer, they of course had no loaners, so now I am without a car and super stressed. After reading many reviews online, this problem seems to keep occurring, Ford needs to do a recall.

- , Woonsocket, RI, USA

Aug 152016

Explorer XLT V6

Driving alone in an area with poor cell coverage, heard a noise, like a pop, the car immediately lost power. It felt like my gas supply got cut off. The "wrench" light message came on as did the front air bag light. At this time, the engine was rough running & loud. I pulled over and turned the engine off. I waited a minute & started the car, only to feel the car running rough and loud. Now the "engine" and the "front air bag" light came on and stayed on, the "wrench" light disappeared. I shut the car off, walked 2 miles towards home until I got cell reception to call home. Forty-five minutes later my husband rescued me. The Explorer started up, he drove it home (8 miles) with the "engine" light on and it ran fine. The "engine" light is still on.

- , Grahamsville, USA

Aug 202016

Explorer

Driving on busy highway at 60 mph with young grandchildren when lost power. Almost killed ourselves making way to the shoulder of the road with cars swerving around us. Problem was throttle body which, as I have learned through research, is a perpetual problem for Ford vehicles. The dealer was good about replacing the part right away and at no cost, but the part is the same one which was subject to failure. Just spoke with customer service at Ford and I am extremely disappointed that they are not more pro-active about making this part more reliable and mitigating the risk of drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Berwyn, PA, USA

Aug 062016

Explorer XLT V6

My new 2016 Ford Explorer suddenly cut the engine power while driving, it was late at night, glad I had my husband with me-- pulled over to shoulder to re-start engine-- this happened about 3 times while trying to get home. Took it to the Ford dealer first thing in the am-- the check-engine light was on but it didn't cut out. I am awaiting the response from the dealer.

- , La Plata, MD, USA

Jul 222016

Explorer

I was driving with my kids on 6/22/2016 and my car nearly came to a complete stop, luckily I was not on the freeway and pulled over to the nearest parking lot. The engine light, airbag light, and a wrench light all came on although the air conditioner and radio stood on. I called Triple A and had my car towed to my place because I had 3 small kids with me and could not lug them to the Ford dealership with me. Later that evening I started the car and it drove so I parked my car in the garage and the following morning I drove to Galpin Ford and the same issue happened again. I called Triple A again and had it towed to the service dept, the Service Consultant was very helpful and gave me an ETA on getting my car fixed by Monday. I told him that I needed a loaner and he said they only have rentals and that I would need to take it up with Ford on getting a credit if I wanted to get reimbursed. I needed to call an 800 # and was given a CAS #, I hold the dealership that I needed a vehicle that was equivalent to the Explorer due to my family size and they said they could not accommodate my needs. I spoke to a manager and made an issue of the car rental and he stated that they will move my car up to the line and that I was lucky because I came to the dealership without an appointment, my car was fixed within the next hour. I stated that this issue was unacceptable being that this was a new car and that my family could have been put into real danger. After the car was fixed , I requested a complimentary oil change and a thorough check of the car as I am planning a trip to Oregon and I was given a business card to get into contact with the Service Drive Manager. The service manager called me on Monday stated that because I had not purchased a service plan that they would not give me an oil change or do a thorough service check and he stated that the car should now be okay because the throttle was now fixed. This is/was my first Ford vehicle and I honestly do not think that I will be a returning customer due to the lack of customer service and concern for my family.

- , Chatsworth, CA, US