2012 Ford Focus body / paint problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 7 of 13)

Jun 292016

Focus

Without warning the driver door flew open as car was pulling onto feeder street and would no longer latch after this event. When researching blogs found others who had similar events. Nearby dealer confirmed latch would not operate and was broken. Mechanic stated that this had been seen repeatedly on other Ford models but not often on Focus model. Was told by dealer that other models have recalls listed to replace all door latches.this could have been a major safety issue including possible ejection from the vehicle.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jul 062016

Focus

Got into my Focus as I normally do. Went to pull the door shut and it did not latch. Will not latch whether locked or unlocked. Glad it didn't fly open like I've read this happening to other people. Also glad it did not bounce back and hit my neighbors car. Very upsetting to read Ford has had this problem in over a half million of their vehicles.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 062016

Focus

Driver side door flew open when I made a right hand turn on a city street. Door will not close now. Defective latch. Door bounces open when I try to close it. I researched issue and Ford has done recalls for other models but not the Focus. Dealer said it would be $500 to fix.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jul 022016

Focus

Driver side rear door latch stopped working. Door won't stay closed, have to use tow straps to keep door closed or it will fly open while driving. Vehicle was stationary.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Jul 022016

Focus

I have had* of my door latches fail. Driver door, and driver-side passenger door. I have had the driver door latch replaced (April 21st, 2016) and the 2nd latch just failed but not yet replaced (July 2nd, 2016). The first replacement cost me $381.47, and none of it was covered by Ford as it is not part of a recall.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 212016

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 252016

Focus

My driver side door swung open while driveing home, luckily I wasn't on the freeway just surface streets and not too far from home, the door ajar light came on. When I got home I checked to see if maybe it was stuck in the closed position, it was not, I closed the latch and attepmted to see if it would hold and a simple pull would open it.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 282016

Focus

The door does not close from one minute to the next the car was not running.

- Canutillo, TX, USA

Jun 262016

Focus

While driving, the rear driver door opened up on it's own. Pulled over to close but it won't stay shut. Had to tie it closed with a bungee cord. Very dangerous. I called my dealer and was told there was a lock recall for a Ford Fusion but not the Focus. It is the same lock! they want $600 to fix it.

- Forney, TX, USA

Jun 272016

Focus

Latch of rear driver door will not latched. It was repaired and within 2 weeks the driver's door will not stay latched. According to what I have read, Ford is aware of the issue and has issued a recall for other models, but will not issue a recall for the Focus

- Pryor, OK, USA

Jun 232016

Focus

The latch on the drivers side rear door quit latching and the door won't shut. I have seen several complaints and articles online about other people who own the same vehicle having this problem when driving the down the road or pulling into a parking lot and the door just unlatching and opening all of a sudden and no longer closing. Luckily, mine happened to stop latching while I was parked and putting something into the backseat. I have owned my car for a little over a year and it is only a 2012 model and I have had many issues with it, such as the radio system and I have had to have an update installed to the transmission. I think that it isn't right for a card door on a 2012 car to stop latching all of a sudden and it is very dangerous that other people have had the same problem while their car is in motion. I feel this should be a recall on the 2012 Ford Focus.

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 182016

Focus

While driving and making a turn back drivers side door flew open.

- Dade City, FL, USA

Apr 142016

Focus

In March of this year, my driver's door latch broke unexpectedly. I went into a restaurant and the door closed fine. However, when I returned to open my door, it would not lock. As a result, I had to take my car to a Ford service center to fix it. They told me that it was not covered by the warranty and there was no recall. I had to pay over 600 dollars to get it fixed. Last week, I went to the grocery store and the rear driver's side door latch broke. I talked to Ford customer care and they told me that I had to take it in for repairs. This is the second time a door latch broke on my car in less than three months! the car has never been in an accident and the doors were working fine until the door latches suddenly broke. Both times, my car was parked when I experienced the door latch failures. I have never experienced a problem like this with older cars and I am the only owner of this car.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jun 202016

Focus 4-cyl

The car door in the back seat on the drivers side of my 2012 Ford Focus SE, flung open as I was making a sharp turn while I was attempting to drive into my son's apartment complex. Luckily my two children who were seated in the back seats were wearing their seatbelts, or this could've been much worse. The door latch no longer wants to latch on. The door does not close. The door ajar sensor keeps showing and an annoying beeping sound keeps going off to let me know that the back drivers seat door is ajar. Fortunately there was no accident, therefore law enforcement was not contacted or needed. We safely pulled over and attempted to close the door. Again, the door will not stay closed. The car is attempting to lock the door but cannot. You can hear it. Also the door handles appear to still be in working condition. It seems that it's the latch that does not close around the metal bar when closed. There is not a current recall on the 2012 Ford Focus SE, but from stories on the internet, I'm not the first to have this happen to this year and model. This is not safe and needs to be thoroughly investigated as soon as possible. There are two or three other Ford cars on recall for the faulty latches. I truly believe that this model needs to be looked at as well. Thank you.

- Deming, NM, USA

Jun 202016

Focus

My driver side front door will not latch light and dinger comes on the door will shut but won't latch L. you can pull door right open. The vehicle was stationary when this happened I was on my way to work and stopped at store it was fine when I got back in it wouldn't latch drove to work holding door shut.

- Bryson, TX, USA

Focus

I entered the vehicle through the drivers side door while it was parked in my driveway, when I went to close the door the door latch did not engage and the door just bounced back open. I contacted my local for dealer who suggested that I tether the door down so that I could drive it to their location. Once I arrived at the dealership they proceeded to tell me my car is no longer under warranty and that yes there is a recall on some door latches my car did not qualify. They then proceeded to write up an estimate for the work for a bill totaling more that $450.

- La Verne, CA, USA

Focus

Front driver's side door suddenly failed to stay closed. We have to use bungee cords to keep the door shut while driving down the highway. Also, when parked the lights stay on draining the battery. We had this problem last year with a different door on the same car and had to replace the latch. This is clearly a systematic problem and Ford needs to address this. As it stands right now I no longer feel safe driving my Ford Focus. This is also getting very expensive for us fix.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Focus

455000 miles - driver side door latches/locks/linkages failed to secure/latch the door. The incident occurred while backing out from parking space, and presented dangerous conditions as the door swung open in parking lot traffic. The latches/locks/linkages will require repair as the door cannot be secured. This is a second occurrence of failed door latches/locks/linkages for the vehicle. First occurrence reported on 03/02/2016 (NHTSA id number: 10839377) involved rear driver side passenger door (currently the door is fastened by ratchet straps). It is matter of time before the remaining passenger side doors latches/locks/linkages fail.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 282015

Focus

September 28 2015 the passenger side rear door would not stay closed. I paid $335 for the rear door latch to be replaced. Today, June 19, 2016, my driver side door will not stay closed. I commute to work and do not feel safe driving with this defect.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Nov 012015

Focus

Car was stationary, when rear passenger door was opened for someone to enter, it would not close. Latch seems broken, door must be secured with cords. It is susceptible to theft thus.

- Tucson, AZ, USA