2012 Ford Focus electrical problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Jul 102015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle jerked and the battery and tire pressure warning lights illuminated continuously. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the diagnosis was unknown. The technician stated that there was a recall on the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired according to the unknown manufacturer recall; however, the failure recurred a week later. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 142014

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact had not experienced any failures prior to taking the vehicle to the dealer to receive a manufacturer's recall remedy. After the repair, the failure progressed randomly for longer than a year. Upon depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle was slow to respond and the rear tires locked when accelerating. The contact later experienced the vehicle stalling without warning. The contact had to coast the vehicle over to a fuel station and, after several attempts, the vehicle restarted, shook violently, and stalled. The vehicle was not able to be driven and was towed to the dealer for inspection. The contact waited longer than a week for the diagnostic results. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Feb 202016

Focus

My vehicle lost all power in regards to acceleration and deceleration on the freeway at the speed of around 40-45 mph. I had to coast over two lanes and almost got rear-ended. The RPM would rev up but no power. Restarted car and problem went away. Next day had tcm flashed as part of recall. Two days later had the same issue only going 60-65 on freeway. Transmission went haywire and had to coast over and almost got rear-ended again. This time car wouldn't restart for about 2 min. No power. Engine revving and complete loss of power twice and I feel this car is a major accident waiting to happen. I do not feel safe while driving not knowing why my car is losing power even after the so called software fix.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 292016

Focus

Windshield wipers turned on to without commanded input from the wiper control stalk. Wipers operated at various output settings (high, low, and intermittent) with the car ignition position in either the on or off position. These events happens while driving and parked. Clear day with outside air temperature of about 70F.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Jun 102015

Focus

I have taken my car in for service 16-18 times for problems with the sync and the transmission since I bought this car. I have had both the sync module and the transmission module reset repeatedly and finally replaced. I have had the clutch replaced twice in two years. The worse incident and the reason for the second clutch was because the car's transmission failed completely while I was driving approx. 45 miles an hour down a very busy two lane city road. I was able to pull over, turn off the car and restart the car and got about 3 miles from home and it failed again. I was literally in the turning lane for my subdivision and it failed again. I had to have the car towed from my house. I was lucky I was not involved in an accident. Ford refused to buy back my car when I requested it. I have copies of my service records as does Cherokee Lincoln Ford of alpharetta, ga.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Jun 052015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that there was a random failure in which the various instrument cluster gauges flashed and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer more than five times, but they could not duplicate or remedy the failure. The manufacturer was notified and provided no solution to the dealer for months. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Jun 292015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the driver side door opened independently without warning. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle lost speed and then stalled as the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired under an unknown manufacturer recall. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,000. Updated 04/13/16

- Acton, MA, USA

Jul 012015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 55 mph, the driver side door unlocked and opened and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to pull the vehicle over. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the computer system needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The contact inquired about returning the vehicle. The dealer was not willing to repurchase the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000. Updated 04/14/16

- Acton, MA, USA

Nov 112015

Focus

Transmission is erratic, you do not know what it might do. It has a shuttering sound coming from underneath the vehicle when going 20-40 miles per hour. Drivers side window does not open and have 'information' light is on for low pressure on tires and aren't currently low. Brakes are making a growling noise when coming to a stop.

- Poplar Grove, IL, USA

Jan 142016

Focus

I drive a 2012 Ford Focus. I bought the car used in January 2015. In the fall of 2015 my car began jolting every time I put pressure on the gas, this was alarming. When it became worse, I bought the car to a Ford dealership, and came to find that the transmission was recalled. To fix this Ford had a strict protocol to fix the transmission in a 3 step process. The mechanics are only told to do step 1, and then if the problem persists months after the repair, continue with step 2 and so on. The transmission started jolting again a few months later, this time worse. I have been waiting a month for the Ford dealership to get that part that will "fix" my problem, while I was assured the problem would not get worse. In that time a piece in the exhaust has also been recalled, neither one of my windows in the front two seats will go down, and the jolting has become incredibly unsafe. There have been two occasions where my car has just come to a completely alarming stop while driving up to 20 mph, on a busy two lane street. I take this street everyday to and from work. There is no other option. I avoid the highway completely now. I feel completely unsafe and on guard at all times while I am driving this vehicle. Because of my experience wth this car in only a year I will never purchase a Ford vehicle ever again. I regret ever driving it off of the lot. I am only 25 years old, and can't afford to trade this in right now, and that is all I want to do. It is not a nice feeling to have a pit in your stomach every time you buckle your seatbelt.

- West Roxbury, MA, USA

Dec 132015

Focus

Parking aid malfunction error: While driving 65 mph on a 3 lane hwy, the parking aid malfunction error appeared which caused the car to completely shutdown. Fortunately I was able to coast to the side of the road with no power steering, no power brakes without engine power. Pam message kept appearing and car would not start. Vehicle had to be towed to dealer. Ford is aware of this problem and fixed the vehicle under warranty via tsb# 15-0101 3068 W40. Ford even extended the warranty for the transmission control module to 10 years 150,000 miles. To have a car completely shutdown while driving 65mph on a 3 lane highway is very dangerous and life threatening. Especially on a highway with cars whizzing by at 60-70 mph. Why isn't this tcm problem under recall" does someone have to be killed before any action is taken"

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Aug 052015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the engine stalled without warning on two separate occasions. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to the dealer. The dealer had not diagnosed the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was no repaired. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- West Point, MS, USA

Aug 102015

Focus

While driving, the "driver side door open" alarm chimes, the lights flash on and off and the doors will not remain locked. They unlock and lock on their own while driving.

- Madera, CA, USA

Aug 202015

Focus

Vehicle moving transmission disengages gear vehicle needs to be restarted to reset transmission, veh stopped at traffic control device light, stop sign, railroad crossing transmission disengages gear. Veh needs to be shut off and restarted to be able to move. Veh in said situation refuses to actknowledge park signal so. That it can be restarted.veh has been in motion and had this happen veh has been stopped and this has happened this is on going.

- Mastic, NY, USA

Oct 012013

Focus

This car has been a lemon. Ford has attempted to "fix" the repeated issue I am having with this car stalling out unexpectedly due to transmission failure. Ford replaced the tcm but the car still is unreliable. The service advisor at the O'meara Ford in Colorado told me that this car is a lemon and that he has not seen a product from Ford this bad in many years. He also said that he has advised his family to not ride or drive one of these cars as they are unsafe and dangerous! this car has stalled out while I am trying to make a left turn, in the middle of the highway, and in many situations that have compromised my safety and the safety of my fellow motorists. I feel that Ford needs to buy this car back and replace it as it is clear that this car can not be fixed in any lasting way. I ask NHTSA to please step in and investigate these dangerous cars before someone gets killed! I absolutely hate my Ford and will not by another.

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 252015

Focus

I have had the horn fail to operate several times, the panic mode somehow gets triggered and when I can finally stop the horn from blowing, the horn will not function under normal conditions afterward. It presents a very dangerous situation to deal with.

- Solon, OH, USA

Oct 212015

Focus

I have a problem with the clock spring, connects power to the steering wheel controls, cruise control, sync, and more importantly the air bag. I have already had the clock spring replaced 2 times, I need it replaced again. Driving down the highway the cruise control will just shut off at times, I can be in the middle of a lot of traffic. My biggest concern is that the airbag may not work if I am in a crash. Ford says they don't have a clock spring problem, but again I need it replaced for the third time. I have problems with cruise control many times per day.

- Danielson, CT, USA

Aug 162015

Focus

Car jumps from 2000 RPM to 7000 RPM immediately when wanting to go from 35 mph to 45 mph after being sluggish and almost hit another vehicle. At highway speed of 65, the car's power becomes so low it only goes 40 mph and had to put hazard lights on and get off highway. Automatic transmission but have to put foot on brake and other foot on gas in city traffic on hill or it slides back to almost hit vehicle behind me. Steering got so tight multiple times at 45 mph and all lights on panel came on and car stalled in middle of a major intersection and had to call police to ensure nobody hit my vehicle and direct other traffic. Car shudders and vibrates and nothing wrong with tires, rims, brakes and alignment.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 022015

Focus

I purchased a Ford Focus may of 2014, with 30,000 miles on it. I had a factory warranty up to 60,000 miles on it. I am now at 62,000 miles on my car and the latch on my driver side door broke and my door flew open while driving on the freeway at 70 mph. If I were not wearing my seatbelt, I would have flown out of my car to my death! since then, I have had to bungie my front doors shut, leaving me no access to get in and out of my car safely, having to crawl in my backseat. I need this fixed asap and I am not paying to get it fixed with so many Ford breaking down.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Sep 162015

Focus 4-cyl

My car only has 4500 miles! the cars transmission is junk! the car is not safe to drive period! there is a recall on the transmission! on the city streets, I have ruined two 700 wheels trying to park on a hill! the car will not hold in drive or reverse! I had a highway patrol car behind me at a light, I was going right, there was a slight upgrade. When I took my foot off the gas the car rolled backwards in drive, and hit the highway patrol car! he pulled me over with his mic. "driver pull to the right and stop! driver, turn off your car and put your hands out side the window! had his hand on his gun! thought I was drunk" I told him that the car rolls in drive and reverse! I tried twice to have Ford buy back this dangerous car! the highway patrol officer believed me and told me to report it to Ford! he said what if there was a person behind you, and you pined them between us? I told me to report this to you! now I have a mint car in the garage! I won`T drive it! I won`T sell it and pass the problem to someone else! beside the price on these cars has crashed because of the recall! Ford can`T fix it! I want my money back! I have a mint top of the line Ford Focus sitting in my garage! Ford can`T fix it and wont give me my money back! they won`T even tell me why? please help! these cars are dangerous to drive! I have been ripped off by Ford! first and last Ford I ever buy! my daughter has owned two of these focuses they both did the same thing! she was afraid to drive them! she left the car at the dealership and left! she now has a 10K charge off on the car! this is bs! I want all my money back! Ford has a dangerous car out there and I am going to expose them! I own wild rods, I am 60, adult driver, no tickets! why should I have to keep this dangerous car I can`T drive and they can`T fix" please help me! I have a car that costs me $400 a month, I can`T drive! thank you!

- Granada Hills, CA, USA