Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 19 of 25)

Jul 132013

TL-the contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle began to shake and vibrate continuously. In addition, the transmission would slip gears. The failure recurred whenever vehicle driving from a complete stop or during deceleration. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer twice for diagnosis. The technician was able to duplicate the problem and recommended that the six clutches be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 560.

- Edmonds , WA, USA

Apr 252014

Focus 4-cyl

I first noticed a problem with my transmission the first week I bought my '13 Ford Focus. I would hear a shuddering and gears grinding when I would accelerate and my transmission would slip when shifting gears. I took it to the dealer and asked them to check it out but was told that it was normal and nothing to worry about and sent me on my way without even taking a look under the hood. I informed them I was worried about getting into an accident with it and they said that would be impossible and it was of no concern. On Friday, April 25th, 2014, after driving 40 minutes to work, I started my car up again and turned onto a main city road from a parking lot then onto a residential street. There, I noticed my transmission light had turned on and my car was having a difficult time shifting gears. The rpms skyrocketed and then plummeted. I was going about 20mph-25mph and my dash is reading 4rpms. I then turn onto another main road where my car started chugging along, it felt, while revving multiple times. I had no control over my own vehicle. About a mile or two away, I reached my destination. I parked and then started to drive again where my car then stopped and I had to declare it inoperable. The next day, I had to have the car towed. Come to find out, the transmission problems I complained about to the dealer were not normal and any day my car was going to quit on me. April 25th, 2014 happened to be that day. My car is just outside of the lemon law as I purchased it last January. Ford is hesitant on helping me and getting my car back and running. I was told there was no problem and nothing to worry about, therefore, I did not pursue the problem any further.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 252014

When accelerating from a stop or moving position in my car I get a crunching, grinding noise and sudden jerking. Seems to come from the transmission but every time I take my car in for service they refuse to even look at the car and say it's normal and hand me paperwork saying it's fine. Sometimes the car will hardly even accelerate from a stopped position or move as slow as molasses. I need help with this because it's very dangerous.

- Irving, TX, USA

Apr 172014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle on a hill, it rolled away in reverse and crashed into another vehicle. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 14,000.

- Atlantic , GA, USA

Jun 182013

The first incident occurred two days or so after purchasing the car. Heard grinding noise in the front of the car as if metal was dragging on asphalt. Took it to dealership and they stated it was normal. About two weeks later check engine light came on. Took it to dealership and they ran a test and said nothing was wrong and reset the computer. A week later, message comes on the screen in the car to immediately pull over due to high temperatures. Lifted the hood and steam was emanating from the coolant reservoir and the lid had come off due to the pressure. I had to call for a tow to the dealership. They ran another test and found that the radiator fan had failed and they had to replace it. More repeated trips to the dealership to address the grinding transmission but to no avail. In April 2014, I started to experience violent shuddering and jerking, along with the grinding, and again took it to the dealership. They told my husband nothing was wrong because they did not experience it when he came in. Took it back the next day, they ran a test and found that I was is fact right that something was wrong. The clutch was being leaked on by seals above it. They told me they had ordered the part and would call me when it came in. I was not told to leave it there. They said they would call me when the part came in. The car lurches forward when shifting and shudders horribly. I would not recommend this car to anyone and I do not feel safe driving it and nothing seems to be done about it.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 222013

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while trying to accelerate, the transmission slipped. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 8,700.

- Gainsville, FL, USA

Apr 022014

The contact 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that he accelerated from a complete stop when he felt the transmission slip. The contact stated that failure only occurred whenever the vehicle was warm. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Santa Rosa Beach, FL, USA

Nov 132013

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the vehicle lunged forward without any warning and the transmission was leaking. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the technician diagnosed that the transmission seals and clutch assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 6,500. The current mileage was 10,950.

- Rockledge, FL, USA

Mar 082014

On my 2013 Ford Focus St I have been experiencing a stalling issue while moving. Car will stall when clutch is pressed while slowing down. Ford has a tsb issued, but will not perform required work due to no code being present. The issue will come and go. Upon browsing internet this is a known issue and many people have been told Ford will not perform the fix. So there are numerous Ford Focus St on the road having this exact problem. It is affecting the current year as well. Here is a link to a discussion on this topic as you can see it is pretty much more than 50% of cars sold seem like they will eventually have this issue. It's a matter of luck if it will throw a code. People have resorted to fixing it themselves. This is absurd. This issue needs to be made public since Ford seems they are trying to save money by saying they need a code present. I brand new car should not be stalling while moving or any time you don't physically shut it off. It's creating a dangerous situation.

- Woodbury, NJ, USA

Nov 082012

Focus 4-cyl

My 2013 Ford Focus wants to stall when going from 1st to 2nd and or the gears slip and the car stutters losing speed suddenly. It is equipped with the manual automatic transmission. Initially it was also doing it while trying to reverse. I called the dealership with in two months of purchase and was told that the vehicle needed to be "broken in" and continue to drive it for 1500-2K miles. I let it go and finally brought it in the following September and since than an additional 5 times. They have replaced the throttle body and reprogrammed the vehicle three times. It will act ok for a few weeks after the reprogramming then slowly goes back into the same pattern until it happens on a consistent basis. I find it occurs more after driving highway miles and then being stuck in heavy traffic (which is my daily commute). I've spoken with four different Ford technicians and each claim that Ford is aware of this problem however they do not know how to fix it. Initially I was accused of driving two footed or not knowing how a standard should shift. Upon explaining that I do not drive two footed, I am well aware of how standards should shift as I am not a new driver, I would be connected with a technician. This is a huge safety concern especially in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Feb 042013

Focus 4-cyl

2013 Ford Focus transmission problems include noise, grinding, shuddering, lurching. Dealer claims they are normal but represents safety and financial issue (I'll never be able to sell the car) and I don't want it anymore. This is a dangerous vehicle.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Apr 092014

Focus 4-cyl

Engine stalls and shuts off while coasting or coming to a stop with the clutch in.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 062013

Focus 4-cyl

In August of 2013 I brought my 2013 Ford Focus into the dealership with transmission issues. I owned the car for 6 months at that point with 6,000 miles on it. Car was shuddering at lower gears, transmission felt like it was slipping, at times RPM would rev up higher than normal, grinding noise could be heard from the engine at times, loss of power and a couple times complete loss of acceleration while trying to turn across traffic. I took the car into my local Ford dealership and a couple of software updates were applied to the car. This fixed it for maybe 3 months then I started noticing loss of power in the car again, and now recently all of the same issues I originally had, and listed above, have resurfaced. Current miles are 14,000. I can't even go up a hill faster than 25 miles an hour, the car fails to change gear and engine rpms rev and the transmission is slipping everyday. My car is back at Ford, this time for a week while they try to determine what is wrong with it. This is not normal operating for a car no matter what Ford says. Loss of power while trying to cross traffic is definitely a safety concern.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Feb 052014

Focus 4-cyl

While driving, the transmission shifted itself to neutral. It did this a number of times. This is dangerous because I could have been hit in the rear end when the car slowed down. Apparently, it was a faulty computer code.

- Nipomo, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Focus 4-cyl

I am experiencing a problem with my 2013 Ford Focus that is making me so nervous and scaring me. I am so afraid it is going to cause an accident, especially pulling out into traffic. I have a clean driving record and have never had an accident. When I stop at a stop sign, look both ways, see a vehicle some distance away and know it is ok to pull out but then the car stalls and before you know it the oncoming traffic is upon you. It shudders when I start to take off into traffic or from a stop. Also, when I slow down and try to speed up it does the same. Sometimes it shudders so bad that I am afraid it is going to cut off. It also makes a noise like a rattle. My car only has a little over 9,000 miles on it and is well taken care of. I have taken it back to the dealer and they have ran it through the service procedures as required by Ford motor. This 2013 Ford Focus has been in the shop three times since I purchased it in December, 2012, always for the same problem and it has never been repaired. When I took the car back to the dealer the first time this happened I was told by an employee at the dealership that these cars are notorious for this problem. You and I both know that a car is not supposed to do this. Ford motor is aware of this problem with these vehicles but feels it is not bad enough to do anything about it. That is like going to the doctor and he tells you lets wait until you get worse before we do anything. I am asking that my 2013 Ford Focus be repaired as it should be. If it means replacing the transmission or whatever it needs then do it!

- Cordele, GA, USA

Jun 072013

Focus 4-cyl

When I drive it sounds like something is grinding and/or a rattling in the front of the car. It does not always make this noise however when it does it sounds like my transmission is gonna fall out in the middle of the road while I am driving. I can also feel a vibration in my foot peddle. On June 07 2017 they reprogrammed my transmission hoping that would resolve the problem. On another visit December 27th 2013 they lubed some part of the front of my vehicle. Then on March 19th 2014 they did another reprogram advising me this time its more specific for my vehicle. They also gave me a print out on why my car made this noise and advised me it was normal. They have heard the noise all 3 of these times, there were a few other visits where they were unable to hear the noise so they were not sure on how to approach the problem. With the last reprogramming they did so far has helped the noise it is not as often occurring however now my car is jerking, almost like the transmission is slipping. They did advise me I would need to drive 500 miles to ensure the reprogramming has been fixed and I am not at my 500 miles yet.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 032014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated while driving approximately 20 mph, the transmission slipped without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis, who advised the contact that the transmission would need to be replaced. The transmission was replaced. After the repairs, the failure still recurred. Additionally, the check engine warning light illuminated sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer multiple times and the dealer was not able to diagnose the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 26000.

- Etta, MS, USA

Feb 142014

On Friday 2/14/2014 @ 1100, I was driving on interstate 5 South, when my car, without lifting foot from the gas pedal, suddenly lost power going from 65mph to 30 mph, in a matter of seconds. A low swoosh sound from motor occurred at same time. I had to exit the freeway at sea world drive exit from the far freeway lane, making for a very dangerous situation. I am very glad I was not rear-ended as I exited the freeway. After exiting the freeway and pulled to the shoulder and stopped the car..after 5 minutes the engine went back to normal and ran like nothing had occurred. I took it to the mossy Ford dealership the same day (service number R020298788). They kept it overnight. They could not replicate incident and told me they had no idea what had happened. They told me to wait until it happens again, and to bring it in again. This is an unacceptable response from Ford dealership. On 2/25/2014, I took it into tune crafters to see if they could find out what was going on with my new car. They could not replicate the issue, but did note in writing the throttle is not as responsive on take-off acceleration, and there is a brief hesitation in the transmission shift and throttle. I am filing a formal complaint with Ford Motor Company today. I do not feel safe driving my new car anymore. Thank you, nellie downie

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 172013

I bought a brand new 2013 Ford Focus in January 2013 after having previously owned a 2011 Ford Focus that was having transmission issues. The dealership had told me that the 2013 Focus models had a redone transmission that was more expensive and didn't have the "issues" that plagued the 2011 Ford Focus. Turns out it is the same transmission, except with a computer update which does not fix the issue. Within the first few weeks, my car was 'shuddering' for lack of a better description when accelerating; the RPM's go up sporadically to, revving the engine higher than it needs to go. It feels almost like it's going to die and then will catch the gear and go. I have taken my current car in for service once for another update, but my 2011 was in the shop multiple times to fix this issue, and always came back to me doing the same 'shuddering' as it did before it went in. I called Ford and they said they would talk to my dealer and they would take care of it. Well, by taking care of it, they meant that there is another 'update'. I had it updated on 8/26/13 and I picked it up only to find that the shuddering is worse. It's not safe to try and drive a car that shudders and lags when you have to cross busy streets and in normal daily traffic. I'm tired of dealing with this issue especially being that I bought a new car. And an american car at that. Ford needs to have some integrity and fix this before I do what I want to do and go buy a Honda or Nissan.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Nov 222012

Focus 4-cyl

Automated manual transmission clutches are slipping causing moderate to severe (intermittent) hesitation. Dealer says that the way its supposed to be when I took it in first week we had it. Went to independent mechanic for second oil change and fluid is leaking in rear main seal, dealer didn't even check. Replaced clutch assembly at 21000 miles, hesitation from start, 8000 more miles, dealer says nothing wrong, take to independent mechanic and again leaking from rear main seal. Just got car back with new seal, didn't replace clutch. Contacted attorney to lemon law the car in Georgia and they have sent notification to Ford.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA