CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

2013 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 6 of 26)

Feb 172015

Focus

The car stutters violently when taking off from a stop, and some times stalls. Also the car will on occasion get stuck in first gear. Very dangerous to have the car stall when trying to cross a busy street. Been into the shop three times still no fix, and my understanding is this is a recall and there is no real fix for the problem

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Nov 102015

Focus

On 10 Nov 15 at 0900hrs I picked up my 2013 Ford Focus after the replacement of an ignition coil/spark plug and the reprogramming of my transmission control module (Ford recall 15B22). At 0930hrs while driving North on hwy 295 at about 40 mph on a straight portion of the highway, all my warning lights turned on and I lost engine power. The vehicle also felt as if it shifted into neutral. I had to use emergency driving procedures to pull onto the shoulder. I attempted to restart the vehicle but the starter did not even attempt to turn over. I called for a wrecker and had the vehicle towed back to the dealership for corrective action. I have not experienced am engine or transmission failure like this in the past. I believe that it may be due to the reprogramming of the transmission control module. It should be noted that the Ford Focus in question is a Canadian version, with 62000km/38000miles to date. I felt compelled to report this incident as it required me to use emergency driving techniques to bring the vehicle to a safe stop (although the brakes continued to function). Had I not been trained in those techniques the likelihood of a collision with another vehicle at high speeds would have been likely.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 022015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle began to violently jerk without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired twice, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 82,000.

- Macon, GA, USA

Oct 282015

Focus

Purchased vehicle Oct 2013 with less than 400 miles, within a few days I called dealer to say I heard a grinding shuttering noise coming from transmission to be informed that was "normal". car began to get louder and began hesitation so I took it in and was told computer needed recalibrated. Ran ok for awhile then began to do the hesitating and shuttering again. I was informed there was a recall on the clutch seal..took it in for replacement. Ran fine for awhile began hesitation and shuttering yet again and had to have computer recalibrated again. Now with 28000 mile it has began to shift hard, shudder and hesitate yet again. Service is scheduled for Saturday 11/14/15.

- Minster, OH, USA

Nov 012013

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While operating the vehicle, the transmission malfunctioned and shifted irregularly causing the vehicle to shutter. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred two months later. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Proctorville, OH, USA

Oct 232015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle independently switched gears without warning. On another occasion, when the gear was switched into the drive position and the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle rolled backwards without warning. The contact also mentioned that when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and suddenly jerked violently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,000....updated 02/19/16

- Ocean City, NJ, USA

Oct 302015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While accelerating from a stop, the vehicle hesitated to move forward and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000. The VIN was not available.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 022015

Focus

Letter from senator burr on behalf of constituent re 2013 Ford Focus issues. The consumer stated while driving on the freeway at 65 mph, he noticed dead spots in the steering function, the vehicle seemed to drift in a direction and while trying to correct it, nothing happened right away. Then it would catch. The consumer also stated after driving the vehicle for a month, it was apparent there was a problem with the transmission. It was hesitating trying to shift and making noises. The dealer was aware of the problem and it stated it was called shuddering. The dealer informed the consumer it depended how fast he took off from start and it was standard for the vehicle. The consumer discovered there was a fix for the problem. However, records indicated the transmission had already been fixed on the vehicle.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Nov 022015

Focus

2013 Ford Focus. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle transmission issues. The consumer stated the vehicle was serviced three times, within the past 16 months for transmission shutter problems.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 251015

Focus

The weatherstripping came loose on the paaengerside rear door, the dealer service dept reglued it back on and told me not to open that door for 24 hrs. This I did, but when I picked my wife up at the daycare and she gotmin the paas. Side front the weatherstrip came loose again and the glue smell made me sick. Also I am having transmission issues such as shudder starts, slipping shifts. I got into a row with the people at the dealer, friendship Ford, bristol, tn 37620 and was told by the owner never to come on his property again or I will be escorted off by the police.

- Bristol, VA, USA

Oct 292015

Focus

The transmission disengaged while going 60 mph on highway. The engine light and traction control light came on and the warning (hill start assist not available). I coasted to the side of the road and had it towed to the Ford garage, where they replace the tcm. This was after many transmission reprogrammings and a clutch replacement because of the shuddering and shifting problems.

- Topton, PA, USA

Oct 222015

Focus

I purchased my Ford Focus 2013 titanium from royal oak Ford in Michigan, it was made to order. All of its regular maintenance was performed at a certified Ford dealership and I take very good care of it. I have had issues with the clutch from the start however and am very concerned about its reliability, and my safety. After multiple instances of my vehicle slipping out of gear during steady highway driving (RPM jump with loss of vehicle speed) I tried to explain the issue to russ milne Ford multiple times being told that if I can¿T replicate it for them then they can¿T fix it. Russ milne Ford finally believed me after I produced a video of it happening. After the video, in April 2014 russ milne Ford reprogramed the PCM/tcm, replaced both the inner input shaft seals, and cleaned the clutch. The odometer was at 29,209 during this service. In October 2015 I was leaving a meeting in detroit, mi where my car shut off mid-commute in the middle of a crowded intersection. I put it in park, and tried to restart my vehicle but the engine did not even turn. After a few more attempts I put it into neutral and was able to push it to the side of the road with the help of bystanders. I had my car towed to bob maxey Ford where after explaining the issue to a mechanic he was able to guess what the issue was and said it was common on the Ford Focus. They kept it over the weekend to reprogram the PCM/tcm, replaced both the inner input shaft seals, the clutch, and a leaking bearing. The odometer was at 59,936 during this service. My questions to Ford: Is the new clutch sitting in my car any different from the original" or will this clutch fail 30,000 miles from now like before? if so, when are you going to address this issue? what is your confidence in the Ford Focus transmission"

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jul 012014

Focus

When starting to accelerate, or driving and press hard on the accelerator, the engine may take off as expected, or may sputter, and hesitate, and have a jerky acceleration. I some intersection left turns, I have almost gotten into an accident due to this problem. I have learned to be careful, and assume the worst, and to allow plenty of time to make the turn. This is a very dangerous situation. I have owned this car for about 3 years, and this has happened many times through the 3 years. I have taken the car to a Ford dealer 3-4 times, and they tell me there is nothing wrong - the care is within the specs it is supposed to be within. Nothing they can do.

- Urbana, IL, USA

Oct 222015

Focus

Purchased a new 13' Focus and within the first couple months it started making the grinding/shutter when shifting. Have taken the car in a total of 3 different times for same issue. Since the last time it was taken in (10/07/2015) the noise is still present and the gears now seem to be slipping when the car attempts to shift at anything over 3K RPM. Discovered the issue trying to merge on to the highway when the RPM's went above 6K but the car would not shift into any gear as if transmission was/is slipping in high RPM's.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Mar 212013

Focus

I purchased the car on 01/27/2013 with 25 miles on it. On 03/21/2013 I brought the car back to the dealership at 904 miles and told I thought there was an issue with the automatic transmission because it was noisy and shuddering when changing gears during acceleration. They checked it and said they "could not duplicate concern at this time." In September 2014 I received a letter about an extended warranty on the clutch #14M01. 09/22/14-09/29/14 at 10683 miles dealership drove and agreed there was transmission shudder and noise. "installed new clutch, seals and hardware." On 10/22/14 at 11311 miles I brought the car back because there was still transmission shudder and noise. They advised me to "drive between 2000 to 5000 miles for proper clutch break-in period." On 08/17/15 at 19158 miles I brought the car back with transmission shudder and noise. They verified my concern stating "raw failed event #2 333 event 12 504 no signs of trans leaks at this moment." Nothing was done to fix the problem. On 09/21/15 at 20143 miles "excessive shudder under acceleration...raw failed reading bottom left of no leaks at this time sop clutch." I was told the new clutch was back ordered and drove my car until 10/14/15 at 20709 miles they "removed transmission replaced both inner input shaft seals half shaft seals replaced clutch reinstalled transmission re programmed tcm test drove ok." Since then there has been some transmission shudder and some noise, but not nearly as loud as before. It has only been approximately two weeks since last clutch replacement.

- Naples, FL, USA

Mar 092013

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving at approximately 10 mph, the vehicle accelerated slowly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the mechanic stated that the automatic transmission control module needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired, but it continued to stall intermittently. The remedy did not resolve the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 7,200.

- Germantown, TN, USA

Jul 132015

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle started to shudder and made an abnormal noise. The failure happened without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 37,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Oct 202013

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle vibrated excessively intermittently and hesitated to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V495000 (electrical system). The dealer stated that the wiring harness would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure previously occurred in 2014 and the vehicle was taken to be repaired. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Nov 052014

Focus

Purchased from Ford dealer in late October 2014. Car had 29,530 miles. Transmission problems. Clutch replaced tcm reprogrammed. Continued to experience transmission problems. Jerking, shuddering, lurching and sometimes failure to move unless accelerator pressed several times. Tcm reprogrammed again at 37,200 miles. Problems still continue. Car is back in shop again two weeks later (10/15/2015). Problem diagnosed again as clutch issue. Recommended fix is clutch replacement again. Clutch is on back order and will take 4 to 6 weeks. Ford does not want to provide loaner or rental car. Reason they say is it is safe to drive" clearly with how the transmission is performing, it is a safety risk. Someone is likely to get seriously hurt or killed. Looking up this problem on the internet, I was overwhelmed with the number of complaints, lemon law filings and class action suits. When is the government going to act before someone is seriously hurt or killed" I do have all the attempted repair documents except for current. Car is still at the dealer....updated 10/27/15

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Sep 012013

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle would not shift into the next gear without warning. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the shaft sealer fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred on three other occasions where the shaft sealer was replaced each time. The contact also stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle would not shift into the next gear after the transmission warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and was diagnosed that the transmission control module was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,600.

- Grovetown, GA, USA