CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

3.2

2013 Ford Focus fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 022015

Focus 4-cyl

For the 3rd time in a 3 month span, my 2013 Ford Focus SE stalled while driving. Vehicle would not restart for approximately 20 minutes. This created an unsafe situation where I was stuck with a disabled vehicle. 1st failure instance occurred when I was coming to a stop at a traffic light 2nd failure instance occurred while driving at highway speeds (65mph) 3rd failure instance occurred while just after entering a highway at approx 45mph.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Jan 152014

Focus

My car shutters and hesitates when pulling off, rpms rev up and gas mi is not as advertised. It also makes noises that I thought were the door locks clicking when car is off, later to be told its the transmission is re-setting? besides that I have had 3 flat tires on the same side of the car, from rivet looking things that I think are falling out of the wheel well (at least 1 did!) this is my 1st new car and I've taken care of it! in fact I got it early 2013, and as of now it only has 15,600 miles on it! the last oil change was due at 16,000miles and I had that done @ November because that date was recommended. Everytime I have mentioned this to Ford they blow me off and say there is no recall, well bs I want, and deserve what I paid for, a new car, not a big headache!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 102013

Focus

Every recall event for my 2013 Ford Focus, I have encountered. After a year and half of continued trips to and being without my car for service. The transmission issues still not resolved along with the electrical issues. The stereo display goes blank, at times shows incorrect date and clock jumps to different hours. The car lunges forward when you get to about 25 to 30 mph or hesitates when you excel. When you put in park it will lunge forward or act like you've popped the clutch even when brake is on. It shudders, has bump & bang noises, lunges, suspension noises. I can feel bumping/thumping under my feet when turning corners. Have had issues with the gas tank assembly and fuel system gauge (this part has been fixed) continued issues with the digital panel, intermittent erratic cluster radio, clock and sync issues that the service department cannot duplicate. When I have issues with the digital panel, I take a picture. Once I turn vehicle off and back on it sometimes clears it up. I've complained about tires noises and ride, they say tires are fine. I went to the dealership to just trade it in and the dealer suggested I contact Ford motor to have them buy it back. I have placed a complaint on the Ford website, but have yet to receive a response. I am afraid to drive this vehicle but have no other choice. Do I have to ruin my credit by just dropping my vehicle off and walking away for them to take back. Ford Motor Company does not make it easy to talk to someone regarding my vehicle. They should be more accessible now before something tragic happens.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Aug 252014

Focus 4-cyl

Driving at highway speeds and car acts as if starved of fuel and rapidly decreases speed. There was no power, but vehicle was on. There have now been three incidents while on freeway at speed that the vehicle has done this and each time I have had to pull off onto shoulder (almost getting hit by traffic each time). Luckily the first 2 times I was able to restart car and get off freeway by staying on shoulder since car could not reach freeway speeds. This last incident (on 1/11/15) left me stranded on freeway between an on ramp and first lane. They did not do anything with first incident because they could not duplicate problem. After second incident Ford replaced fuel pump, gasket and tank. After two weeks and for a third time vehicle again "stalled" on freeway at 65-70mph. Car is again getting same parts replaced. All these incidents have occurred with in less than a 6 month period.

- Denver, CO, USA

Feb 202013

Focus 4-cyl

The transmission shudders during accelerating and has continued to do so fir the past 18 months. The issue has progressively gotten worse.

- Pooler, GA, USA

Oct 032014

Focus 4-cyl

I have a 2013 Focus with 28600 miles. On a daily basis I when I accelerate it rattles and hesitates. The dealership said it was a smart transmission and is just what it does. On Oct 3rd 2014 I was at a busy intersection and waiting for the light to turn green. The light turned green and the car acted as though it was in neutral and would not drive. After about 15 seconds with everyone honking at me it started to move forward but sounded like it was going back and forth from neutral to drive and I couldn't go over 30. I barely made it to a parking lot. I pulled over and called the dealership but it was to late and the associate said I had to call back at 7 in the morning. My car shuddered all the way home especially when I had to stop and accelerate at a light or stop sign. I called in the morning and they said to bring the car in. The next day it drove fine. They thought it might be bad gas due to the fact the engine light had come on during the malfunction. That just made me mad. The dealership put it on the computer and it came up a bad transmission module? I am out a car for a week. I do not want the car back. What if it happens after 36000 miles. Ford knows about this problem. I bought this car with an expectation of it being safe. It is not. It is a dangerous car. You should be ashamed Ford corporation you are putting peoples lives in danger.

- Buhler, KS, USA

Sep 232013

Focus

Vehicle warning "stop safely now" appeared and the ev lost all its motive power and stalled. Repeated attempts to restart the vehicle failed.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Aug 062013

Focus 4-cyl

Luckily no one was injured - as I was driving the highway to go home, the cars motor suddenly shut off, after barely making it to the shoulder (inches from traffic) I looked at the estimated miles to empty, which stated 17 miles to empty - yet I was out of fuel. Seems Ford Focus has a incorrect reading on the fuel economy/and or estimated portion that could be potentially dangerous. (I took a photo of the dash readouts as well).

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 212013

Focus 4-cyl

As I pulled out into the flow of traffic from a gas station, I realized my car would not accelerate beyond 15-20 mph. I immediately pulled over to the right hand lane and proceeded to the stop light, which was about a 100 yards down the road. At the red light I placed the car into neutral and discovered the engine would not go beyond 3500-4000 RPM's. I then turned on the warning flashers, and when the light turned green I pulled over to the side of the road and proceeded at 15-20 mph until I could turn into a safe area about 1 mile down. I then had the car towed to the local Ford dealer. When the dealer ran my VIN# through their system, it showed that a technical service bulletin had been issued regarding this very problem. They then repaired the car and it now seems to be running ok, although I don't feel real good about it. Hopefully something like this will not happen again, especially if I am in a situation like driving on the freeway at high speeds. Myself and my wife were knowingly put into a potentially unsafe risk by Ford Motor Company, which I feel could have been avoided if Ford Motor Company had been a little more proactive in notifying their customers of the possibility of something like this occurring.

- Temecula, CA, USA