CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

3.7

2013 Ford Focus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Mar 202013

Focus

Soon after buying the car it started stalling when first accelerating leading to risk of the car stalling at intersections. The car will suddenly lurch forward and I have been very close to crashing several times. I have taken the car for service about 4 times and it works fine for about 3 days before starting again with the problem. Recently (07/31/2015) the car would not turn on and when it did it would not accelerate at all in the middle of a busy city street. A shop at a Ford dealership said it was the transmission module control which they replace but 2 days after I got my car back it did it again. It would not accelerate no matter how much I pressed the pedal and I was on I95! I am concerned for my safety and the safety of my baby while in this car.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Aug 042015

Focus

This is the second time this issue has occurred. Last October was the first. The engine light came on and the car RPM gauge raced but there was no acceleration. The car jerks hard. First time mechanic (don chalmers capitol Ford) told me that these issues were normal, that all of these cars have shuttering issues, which to me was a frightening statement. They addressed A14M01 transmission clutch shudder and input shaft seal warrant (fsa). The total bill was $1,377.88. This time, I was told I would be responsible for any work and diagnostics. I stated that I experienced the same exact shuttering, shifting issues and noises as the first time and was told it could be anything. I am scared to drive this car.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Jun 042013

Focus

I bought my vehicle in 2013, new from the local dealership. After owning the vehicle for a few days we noticed the shuddering on acceleration. Immediately called the dealership and was told this was break in time. A few months into owning the vehicle, the transmission failed, we brought it into the local Ford dealership again, and had the transmission flushed and work done to it. Since then the vehicle has been to the shop four times for the same issue of the transmission and the electrical system flashing and shutting down. The vehicle will shudder upon acceleration. Now no lights, brake lights, dash lights, will come on. The vehicle will run, but you have no idea how fast you are going, you have no turn signals, the 2013 Ford Focus is a time bomb. Ford will offer us no solution except to bring it in and look at it. After bringing it in four times I do not feel comfortable bringing it back and having it not completely repaired and having to put more money into this vehicle when it is not going to be properly fixed. I am not sure how failing transmissions, and electrical issues are not considered safety issues and put on immediate recall but I must assume it is because I am not a mechanic, but stuck with a lemon that Ford refuses to acknowledge there are issues with.

- Lynn Center, IL, USA

Apr 032015

Focus

Transmission causes car to consistently lurch, sputter, and stall when attempting to accelerate through the first three gears. It's annoying, but more importantly, it's dangerous on hills, in intersections, etc. I've been told it's not something I can "fix, " as it is normal for Focus models in my year. Hard to believe.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Jun 222015

Focus

Reneue to the defective powershift transmission I was almost in a wreck. I had to apply the brakes due to a tractor trailer coming in my.lane of traffic. When I applied the breaks suddenly, my transmission locked up and I could not safely move away from the tractor trailer. Then when I tried to apply gas pedal, the transmission was still locked and the vehicle would not move. Because I had to rapidly apply the brakes, my transmission locked up causing me to almost wreck. This is not the first time this has happened with my Focus. Please help M

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 012014

Focus

The vehicle has been very sluggish since day one of the lease. The transmission does not seem to engage accordingly. Upon acceleration the vehicle hesitates and/or sputters, lurching forward and then hesitating again. I have had the vehicle in for service by an authorized Ford dealer a few months ago but the problems still remain. I plan on taking the vehicle in again since it continues to display the same issues it has since the day we began our lease.

- Dexter, MI, USA

Apr 302014

Focus 4-cyl

Vehicle bucked or shuddered when starting from a complete stop or if coasting and then gas applied. Issue was said to be fixed at this time 4/30/14, which it did run better until it happened again on 9/6/14 when I pointed out the same issue. It was determined that there was a leak coming from the bell housing and it was dripping on the clutch causing the shuddering. On 9/16/14 it was taken to the garage for repair. I am still experiencing some shuddering, especially in reverse when going slow but also at times going forward. Not satisfied that it is completely fixed, but Ford has extended the warranty to 7 years/ 100,000 miles. I will be contacting the garage in the near future for them to look at it again.

- Roaring Brook Township, PA, USA

Mar 222014

Focus 4-cyl

Purchased Focus in March of 2013 soon after purchase vehicle began to lurch and hesitate while accelerating almost to the point vehicle would stall gets very scary when pulling into traffic with no power to accelerate. I immediately took vehicle back to dealership and they confirmed I needed a clutch that there was a seal leaking which caused the failure! they performed repair and not even a month later the problem occurred so I returned the vehicle again just to find out the other clutch they didn't replace had failed also. They again replaced clutch and I returned home. Within 2 days of repair the vehicle started shuttering and when accelerating the vehicle wouldn't shift into any gear so I was stuck on the interstate going 40 mph in a 70 speed zone so I immediately pull over and call Ford which tells me to bring it in on Monday because there not open on Saturday. I return vehicle to there disbelief that there is an issue because it has all the latest reflashes and clutches in vehicle but low and behold they inform me my transmission control module has failed and needs to be replaced. They replace tcm and send me home. Yesterday probably 2 months after virtually every component has been replaced vehicle starts to shudder horrible probably the worst I've experienced to date so I take it to my dealership and they inform me I need another clutch!!! the vehicle has 48K miles on it I am sick of worrying about whether or not I can accelerate and merge into traffic without the vehicle getting rear ended because the clutches are slipping. Something needs to be done. Thank you

- East Bernstadt, KY, USA

Jan 162013

Focus

Clutch fixed 3 separate times. Needs repaired again. Seatbelt will not latch for the second time. Want to switch cars, not a Ford. Was told at herrington-yoak Ford that they would find me a Toyota rav4, Honda CRV or Honda civic. Never received a call, had to call them and was denied.

- Waverly, WV, USA

Feb 142014

Focus

On Friday 2/14/2014 @ 1100, I was driving on interstate 5 South, when my car, without lifting foot from the gas pedal, suddenly lost power going from 65mph to 30 mph, in a matter of seconds. A low swoosh sound from motor occurred at same time. I had to exit the freeway at sea world drive exit from the far freeway lane, making for a very dangerous situation. I am very glad I was not rear-ended as I exited the freeway. After exiting the freeway and pulled to the shoulder and stopped the car..after 5 minutes the engine went back to normal and ran like nothing had occurred. I took it to the mossy Ford dealership the same day (service number R020298788). They kept it overnight. They could not replicate incident and told me they had no idea what had happened. They told me to wait until it happens again, and to bring it in again. This is an unacceptable response from Ford dealership. On 2/25/2014, I took it into tune crafters to see if they could find out what was going on with my new car. They could not replicate the issue, but did note in writing the throttle is not as responsive on take-off acceleration, and there is a brief hesitation in the transmission shift and throttle. I am filing a formal complaint with Ford Motor Company today. I do not feel safe driving my new car anymore. Thank you, nellie downie

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 142014

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 282013

Focus

In 2/13, my husband and I purchased a '13 Ford Focus from brewster Ford in NY. Unfortunately, our car has never worked correctly. It randomly loses power. It feels like the gas pedal doesn't respond sometimes when we try to accelerate. Our car is currently in their service center for the 4th attempt to repair the problem without any intervention. 3 of the master mechanics, scotty, carlisle, and anthony, say they have driven the car multiple times without repairing anything because they claim that they cannot recreate the problem. 5/28/13 the hesitation and nonresponsive acceleration increased and we brought our car to the service center and paid for an oil change. We were given the car back and told there was no problem found. 6/14/13 we brought the car back to the dealer for the same problem. There was an update for the computer and we thought it might be fixed. 12/9/13 we came back to the service center for the same problem, but this time the car shut off while my husband was driving on the nys thruway and this time the check engine light was on when I dropped it off. Again the car was given back and we were told no problem found. They said that the check engine light was not on. It had been on for two days prior. 12/18/13 we brought our car back to the service center. After we called Ford corporate for help, the service manager, danielle got involved. The gas mileage dropped at this time from 32-27 miles/gallon combined. Our car was at brewster Ford's service center for over 30 days without being contacted once. When my husband called to check on the status, he was told they were waiting on a service engineer to come out. After speaking to angela, the regional manager from Ford, we were told that the service center is unable to recreate the problem and we should again take our unsafe car. 1/23/14 today the regional manager agreed to approve a second opinion.

- Yorktown Heights, NY, USA

Jul 172013

Focus

1st incident: Wife was traveling at 65 miles per hour on route 30 bypass West in downing town when the car stalled and gave a warning to stop safely now. Almost causing an accident my wife pulled off to the side of the road and started the car again then drove home with no issue. 2nd incident: Today 9/11 my wife was pulling out of her driveway for work and the call stalled with the message to stop safely now. She re-started the car with no incident and continued to drive to work.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Oct 312012

Focus 4-cyl

When you turn on the headlights or if you turn on the front windshield wipers, the instrument cluster gauges, get "very dim". when the head lights are turned to off, all of the gage lights get brighter. This makes it very difficult to drive and see the speedometer during the daytime. I would like to drive with my running lights "on" during our travels in the daytime. But the gauges get to dim to read in the daylight, so we travel with our running lights in the "off" position. Our local Ford dealer says that is the way they are designed at the present time. The local dealer does not have a "fix".... this is a safety issue for me and my wife.

- Lake Wales, FL, USA