CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

7.4

$1,120.00

2. replace clutch (9 reports)
  3. software update (7 reports)
  4. waiting for ford to figure out what it takes to repair it (7 reports)
  5. replaced clutch mechanism (4 reports)
  6. rebuild tranmission and replaced input shaft seals (3 reports)
2013 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 032017

Focus LS

worked on vehicles last 35 years. Good and bad with all breeds. My loyalty lies with GM and always will. I take care of 2 cute little old grannies down the street with any help they need. They offered to let me use their 2 year old Focus to drive the hour and a half to the birth of my first grandchild today. Very thoughtful as my 2500HD isn't the most frugal long distance driver. This Focus is barely 2 years old with 13,498 miles on it. It aint even dirty. Got started on the trip with dicey road conditions from a stop sign down the road a piece, and felt what I thought was tire spin. Felt a little turdish once underway, but hey, I'm in a Ford I say to myself. I'm used to 6 litres of foreskin shreddin torque, so I assumed a third of what I'm used too was to blame for the low power impression. Forty nine miles later I get to the next stop. Once underway, I almost load my pant's thinking I have done something terrible to the little old grannies car. What a shuddering shaking and rattling piece of rat sh*t this thing turned into in the course of 45 minutes! Now we are downtown New York somewhere, and this thing sounds and feels like the end is near..It proceeds to take my focus[ironic] of what is supposed to be a wonderful event today, and for the next 7 hours, I'm shittin my drawers thinking I'm going too cause two fatal coronaries in the sweet little old grannies. One is very hard of hearing, the other puts you in danger of losing your own hearing.. Managed to limp it back in crappy weather thinking I'm walking any minute now, but scared to death nonetheless. I explain to grannies what I went through on my trip. Much to my surprise, loud granny proceeds to tell me that has done that since day one!!! She took it back 2 days after purchase and was assured it was all good and cozy. 76 years old. Brand new off the lot. Not her,the Focus. She proceeds then too never question it again.Not even at service appts. I tell loud granny that I will dig into and get answers for her. That was 3 hours ago. It has taken me this long to read all the complaints on just this one forum. I am blown away at the apathy with which for Ford has dealt with this issue. Class action is nowhere near what my first remedy thought was. My personality doesn't lend itself to public safety when being treated as many Focus owners have been..What a disgusting and cowardly way to deal with a problem of this scale with no end in sight.All I can say is thank Jesus himself my name isn't on the registration!!! Now how do I tell these sweet old grannies they are up sh*t creek with a Ford, and their life jacket is an anchor. To which Fomoco could give two sh*ts.

- , Ticonderoga, NY, USA

Oct 012016

Focus SE 2.4L

From history its been checked but never fixed, feels like the transmission is going to let go at times.

- , Leroy, IL, USA

Sep 052016

Focus

This doesn't happen every time I stop. Sometimes it is much worse then others.

- , Paris, TN, USA

Nov 052015

Focus SE 2.0L

Here I go again, back to the dealer to have transmission repaired. Bought used 2013 Focus in October 2015. It's been in 3 times for the same problem, transmission slips and jerks when taking off. Last visit to Ford dealer service department they adjusted the clutch and told me it will have to be replaced if problem continues. Well here goes another trip to service department and hope they can really fix it but won't get my hopes up. I'm 70 years old and told my family if I die or get injured in a car crash with this car sue Ford for everything they have!

- , ORLAND HILLS, IL, USA

May 052015

Focus

This is the last time I am going to purchase a Ford car. They say this is the way the car is. We already have had it in 4 times and had software updates. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A FORD CAR AGAIN.

- , Marlboro, NJ, USA

Aug 012015

Focus

I had my ford focus since July 2015. My dealer was nice we talk about the issue I know its not their fault its Ford corp. Its a Pretty nice car but yes the transmission is really bad for this model 2011-2016 He told me my best bet is to get the Ford Fusions.

If you all didn't know a while back In response to complaints Ford made the Transmission Control Module coverage up to 100,000 miles and the clutch is 120,000 miles. More info: http://californialemonlawgroup.com/ford-to-extend-warranty-on-2012-2014-ford-focus/ My TCM went bad on me 2 months ago I just took it in to my dealer and they fix it for free. He told me ford was giving some kind of trade in incentive because of my car trans issues. There is "The Ford Transmission Defect Class Action Lawsuit" Make sure to fill out the info on the side at: http://fordpowershiftlawsuit.com/ I take to the lawyer back in August 2016 she told me we should know something by the end of the year. This case is maybe a long one though. I been on got another car by then. smdh

- , CINCINNATI, OH, USA

Jul 012016

Focus

Purchased the car for new driver, car hesitates from the stop position. Have brought the vehicle in for service 3 times for this issue. They reprogram everything and say nothing is wrong. Concerned the car will not respond when you need to pull out into busy traffic. Probable will sell the vehicle and never strongly consider ford again . Word of most is key for Ford to correct this issue. Everyone knows 200 people which can impact future sales.

- , Hope We'll Junction, NY, USA

Sep 072016

Focus Sedan 3.0L

Though I brought a pretty good car Ford has been in my family all my life , so I decide to buy one big, I mean big mistake. Transmission jerking, slow start at take off, growling noise, shaking car, I thought Ford was a good car. Sorry not. The new fords suck. Being an older woman I thought it would save me on gas. What good is the gas if the transmission is giving me problems. HELP

- , Brockton, Pacific Islands (US)

Apr 152016

Focus SE 2.0L

Purchased a Ford Focus SE 2013 from a local auto dealer used with 36,000 miles on it. It appeared to be a great car and even drove great for the test drive. After a few weeks of having it I noticed a huge hesitation when taking off and a shutter. The shutter can get pretty bad and almost feels like your wheels are skipping. I have tried not to put the gas on to fast in hopes of alleviating this issue to no avail.

Recently I have had a huge Thumping in my right passenger side wheel (or at least that is where it looks and feels like it is coming from). This is down right scary. I feel that my car is not very safe but I don't have another option. I am on a budget and can't afford to roll over this car into another car payment and so on.

I feel I was lied to about this car and that is was hyped up for this dual clutch automatic transmission that is suppose to be part manual. If it works so great as a Volkswagen why mess with a good thing Ford? I am seeing about 6 years worth of a pain in my ass in the near future. I only have an extended warranty for 72k miles or up to 6 years... so for me it is an additional 3 years. I guess I could be happy that Ford extended the Transmission warranty to last til 150k miles because I am sure it is gonna have to be traded out or fixed. As well as the clutch... eventually.

More than anything I hate that every time I have it looked at they say it falls within parameters. NICE. I feel like I could die in this car and they say... oh you won't. Wait just wait. One day this will happen. I am very careful not to jump out into traffic and am very careful in general.

- , Belleville, IL, USA

Dec 012015

Focus SE 2.0L

FIRST BRAND NEW CAR FROM FORD. LAST NEW CAR OR ANY CAR FROM FORD.

Started having transmission issues around 30,000 kms. Had clutch replaced around 55,000. Started acting up again around 65,000 kms. All times Ford service was notified at the dealer. They have a specific warranty guide to follow so basically they wait until the clutch needs replacing. Not when it starts to jerk, chatter, rev high unexpectedly. Now at 93,000 kms and going back in for service again, got a notice from Ford that they are covering this "problem"until 240,000 kms. I can't rely on my new vehicle to go long distances...so pathetic. I will never ever buy another Ford so long as I live.

- , Halifax, NS, Canada

Jul 022016

Focus

Just bought a 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback. Had the car 2 weeks and it started to hesitate and jerking after being stopped at a light or stop sign. Took it to the dealership where I bought it and they said it maybe this or maybe that but was not sure what the problem was. I am a college student and do not have extra money to fix a "maybe" They asked me if it happened when I was in reverse and it had not. Well the very next day is started making a awful clunking noise when in reverse on top of the jerking and hesitation after stopping. I was treated so bad. I have not even made my first payment and am a afraid to drive it. With all the complaints there should be a recall.

Update from Jul 26, 2016: Took to another Ford dealership and they said they are unsure of what the problem is. In reverse it will make a noise if my foot is totally off the break it does not make the noise. Have another appt this week so I will see what they say. I do not feel safe driving the car.

- , Angola, IN, USA

Apr 012016

Focus

I got the car used. Shortly after it started this hesitation stuff. This went on for a few months and I started reading up about all the transmission troubles online. Finally took it in and was told there was a voluntary recall on the software for the clutch. They changed the software and cleaned the clutch. They had it for 10 days. At first they offered me a rental, then on the day of, they called to say no rental available due to the city was sold out? Really! Nonetheless, I left it. Got it back and it started doing it the same day.

I got 2 online surveys and even wrote the office of my displeasure. I got no replies. Even when I did the survey saying I was unhappy.

I have talked to strangers who I see driving these sh*tty cars and they all have the same issue.

I want to know how we can class action sue them? Can I force FORD to give me my money back? This is truly an embarrassing situation when driving and everyone inside gets jerked around when your driving.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Apr 082013

Focus Titanium 2L

Stop and go traffic is the worst and I deal with it daily, hence the reason for an automatic tranny. It's never failed on me but I hate the jerky feeling. Never buying another Ford or Automatic again.

Update from Jul 5, 2016: Plus the attitude I get from Blackstock Ford is even more annoying. They sound annoyed just picking up the phone.

- , Orangeville, ON, Canada

Nov 012015

Focus SE

Hesitates and jerks when takeoff. Acts like someone driving a manual that has no idea how to shift gears.

- , Danville, KY, USA

Feb 142015

Focus SE

This car has been nothing but problems from the day I bought it. It is 2 and a half years old now and they've replaced the clutch kit on it twice and it goes in the shop Friday again for the same issue. So this will be replacement clutch kit number 3. It's quite evident that the powershift transmission is garbage. So they extended the warranty to 150000 km or 7 years. And I was told by Ford they will continue to replace it until the warranty is up. Ok. So I bought a brand new car and it is going to have to have the clutch kit replaced ever 20 to 30 thousand km's. Absolutely ridiculous. Oh yea AND the paint is all chipping around the rear wheel wells on both sides. This car is crap. Don't waste your money. You'll notice it just a little at first. Shuddering on light acceleration and jerking. Then it gets worse. Then it makes a noise like it's not in a low enough gear. Keep in mind this car is a flipping automatic.

- , Yarmouth, NS, Canada

Jun 102014

Focus SE 2.0L

I took my car back 3 days after buying it used with 17,000 miles on it. The car had been rear ended and they told me about that upfront. I'm thinking that the sluggish movement from a stopped position caused the car to get rear ended, by that's an assumption on mu part. I have taken the car back (3) times for the sluggish tranny and they won't do anything about it other than "twit" with the computer. I have to be able to "reproduce" the lage in a 6 block drive with the mechanic. My mileage has gone down from a full tank stating that I have 450 miles left to a full tank now, stating 360 miles. I have only put 12,000 on the car. It still doesn't have 30,000 miles on it. I have noticed that when the transmission gets warm or wet (under flush wash) the car is REALLY bad.

- , Sussex, WI, USA

Apr 052016

Focus SE 3.2L

I bought my car as a certified used car. After having it only 2 weeks, I took it back to the Ford dealership and reported a problem with transmission and the fact that the car jerked and sputtered each time I tried to take off. They simply told me it was the kind of transmission used in that particular car and it was fine. I took it back about a month later and was told the same thing. I then received recall information about the car and took it in where the dealership reset the computer system. This was a very short lived fix however, and the car now jerks and grinds so badly I feel unsafe. Yesterday I returned to the dealership yesterday where the service department deemed it too dangerous for me to leave with and was given a loaner

Due to this, I began speaking with a salesperson about trading the car in for a 2016 Fusion. The snag is that I now have a large amount of negative equity due to the fact that the car lost so much of its value because of these issues. I make a decent living, however, due to a messy divorce my credit isn't quite where it should be. The salesperson offered me the new car at 12% interest!!!! HA I was given no kind of special, or willingness to work with me. The thing is, I wouldn't even need a different car if mine was safe enough to drive and the problems that it has are an admitted Ford issue.

- , Clayton, NC, USA

Nov 132015

Focus SE 2.0L

Performed the service based on Customer satisfaction program 14M02. Still lack of power in the car, shudder & fell annoying.

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Feb 272016

Focus ES 2.0L

Ford keeps telling my it's normal it will workout! So after 3 transmission replacements, updates, complete clutch replacement after a little after a yr of buying, it still jerks, skips, loses power. I contacted Ford & a rep called me told me to watch a video saying then I'll know what to expect! What? this is normal with this trans, then I had to take it back in for a mech trans control? Now it's been about 2 months and now finally got a email on the class act lawsuit. I told Ford I felt unsafe with the things happening with the trans while on the road and that I want something done to get me out of this car...

Update from Aug 10, 2016: updating helps the transmission jerking,shuttering,gas mileage but its starting up again to shutter.

Ford is going to get away with this knowing when they sold them the trans was not good,

Ford has not been made to respond to the lawsuit.

- , Davenport, IA, USA

Jan 022013

Focus SE

I purchased my vehicle in September 2012. By March 16, 2013 I was having issues with the vehicle and transmission. Took my vehicle to the Shelbyville Dealership, in which Ford replaced the clutch plate and repaired the transmission along with resetting the computer telling me that it should fix the problem.

On April 1, 2013, after they completed the previous repairs, I once again was having issues with the vehicle and the transmission. They stated it was the way in which I drove the vehicle. They said I needed to give it more gas. I am 30 years old and I don't drive like a grandma by any means. I left there not happy, but said okay. On April 15, 2013, I again had my vehicle looked at by the Shelbyville Ford Dealership and again it was just an excuse after excuse. I then took my vehicle to a Ford Dealership in Indianapolis hoping to get a solution. They had more excuses than I could ever think of. I worked in Franklin at the time and decided I would get a third opinion. I took it to the dealership in Franklin on May 22, 2013. They gave me the same excuses as the Shelbyville and Indianapolis Dealership did. I definitely wasn't happy as there was nothing to do and I was told I was stuck with a sh*tty car because of mileage reasons.

I contacted Ford, they wouldn't admit to anything but gave me a FREE maintenance warranty to just get me to go away. When I took my vehicle for scheduled maintenance on July 31, 2013 I again brought up the transmission issues, they then said it's the way the vehicle drives. Within the first year of having the vehicle, I had it at three different dealerships and in the shop seven times, in which after being told numerous of times it wouldn't qualify for the lemon law, I decided I was stuck. As the last two years have gone on, the transmission is still having issues. I have just learned to deal with it, although knowing that I put my eight year old and self at risk.

I once again was taking my car to the Shelbyville Dealership to have it looked at, for them to tell me that it isn't covered anymore. I have 85,000 miles on the vehicle, my warranty is 100,000 miles. I refuse to put anymore money into the vehicle. Due to high mileage and vehicle transmission being messed up, I am bent over backwards with the vehicle and can't off load it without rolling negative equity into a new loan, and that's not something I want to do, not should have to do.

- , Rushville, IN, USA