CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

7.5

$1,120.00

2. replace clutch (10 reports)
  3. software update (9 reports)
  4. waiting for ford to figure out what it takes to repair it (8 reports)
  5. replaced clutch mechanism (4 reports)
  6. rebuild tranmission and replaced input shaft seals (3 reports)
2013 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Feb 102016

Focus 2

I have no idea where to begin.

When I first got the car, low mileage, reasonably priced, seemed like it was in good order even on the test drive. I feel totally ripped off. They saw me coming. Stupid me bought the first car I test drove. I feel like an idiot. I wish I had of taken a mechanic or someone who knows about cars, because was absolutely ripped off. This model Ford Focus would never recommend it to anyone. One day once this car is paid off I'm going back to Toyota or Mitsubishi. Two recalls, jerks and hesitates on take off

I read there is a lawsuits allege in the states, among other things, that Ford: failed to disclose the fact that the PowerShift transmission contains one or more design and/or manufacturing defects that cause problems and unsafe conditions, including, but not limited to, suddenly lurching forward, delayed acceleration, and sudden loss of forward propulsion.

This is what I am experiencing now, and the mechanics told me there was nothing wrong. How does a person like me stand up against people like them?

What can I do, I would like to go to Ford and tell them to give me a new car so that the loan I am paying is not wasted on this stupid model.

- , Wentworthville, Australia

Sep 302015

Focus SE 2.0L I4

Fifth time to the dealership, they reprogram the transmission module, also we contacted the regional representative regarding the trans issue what a joke she told us basically we are on our own with this piece of crap of a vehicle!!

Aug 212015

Focus SE 2.0L I4

Fourth time the vehicle is in the dealership got the numbers required by Ford, dealer replaced the clutch and resealed again.

Jul 172015

Focus SE 2.0L I4

This would be the third time the vehicle is in the dealership for repair, Ford Company advised the dealership the vehicle must get the right numbers to repair the vehicle.

Sep 292014

Focus SE 2.0L I4

My wife and I first received the Customer Satisfaction Program letter 14M01 in August 2014, we took delivery of our vehicle Oct. 2012. We contacted our dealer they set-up an appointment to reprogram the vehicle. We were having issues with the transmission shuttering and making grinding noise. Our first visit regarding this piece of crap was in Sept. 2014. I will now add another complaint of many regarding our on going issue.

Oct 102016

Focus SE 2.0L I4

Sixth time in now the dealer tries to get the numbers required by Ford; Service Advisor tells us this vehicle is the worst that they have every seen. Dealer had the vehicle several days could not get the required numbers for ford to repair. sent the vehicle back with us no fix...

Dec 032016

Focus Titanium 2.0L 4 cyl

I bought a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium brand new in late 2013. The reason I bought it was because I needed something RELIABLE to get me back and forth to work, school, and home. I traded in an '89 Chevy that I had been toying around with when I was in the service, because it was more of a toy than a reliable car. My family has owned Ford Focus' in the past, and I even owned a 2007 which was everything I could have asked for in a car; it was reliable, got great gas mileage (35mpg or so) and it never broke down.

I have had this 2013 Ford Focus Titanium in and out of the shop now 4 times for transmission issues. The first three times, they told me they could not see what I was talking about, with the stuttering, hesitation, jerking, poor gas mileage (28mpg) and lack of acceleration. Each time they simply reset the computer and said "It needed to re-learn my driving habits." I decided to just live with it, as it is the only car I have. Don't get me wrong, it was never fixed, I just put up with it, and got used to it. Others would sit in the passenger seat and ask me "Why is it shifting like that?"

Here we are just over 30,000 miles and I barely made it in the dealership yesterday. By the time I parked the car, it would not even shift in to reverse. I drove in first gear with my hazard lights on to the dealer. They have not had time to look at it today, but said they "think it's the TCM, as they've seen this before."

I will not keep my mouth shut on this one because I feel I bought a lemon. This is now the fourth time in with the same complaint, except this time it is UNDENIABLE. This is unacceptable, and my father who has worked at Ford for the last 20 years is embarrassed he recommended this car to me.

- , Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jan 032017

Focus LS

worked on vehicles last 35 years. Good and bad with all breeds. My loyalty lies with GM and always will. I take care of 2 cute little old grannies down the street with any help they need. They offered to let me use their 2 year old Focus to drive the hour and a half to the birth of my first grandchild today. Very thoughtful as my 2500HD isn't the most frugal long distance driver. This Focus is barely 2 years old with 13,498 miles on it. It aint even dirty. Got started on the trip with dicey road conditions from a stop sign down the road a piece, and felt what I thought was tire spin. Felt a little turdish once underway, but hey, I'm in a Ford I say to myself. I'm used to 6 litres of foreskin shreddin torque, so I assumed a third of what I'm used too was to blame for the low power impression. Forty nine miles later I get to the next stop. Once underway, I almost load my pant's thinking I have done something terrible to the little old grannies car. What a shuddering shaking and rattling piece of rat sh*t this thing turned into in the course of 45 minutes! Now we are downtown New York somewhere, and this thing sounds and feels like the end is near..It proceeds to take my focus[ironic] of what is supposed to be a wonderful event today, and for the next 7 hours, I'm shittin my drawers thinking I'm going too cause two fatal coronaries in the sweet little old grannies. One is very hard of hearing, the other puts you in danger of losing your own hearing.. Managed to limp it back in crappy weather thinking I'm walking any minute now, but scared to death nonetheless. I explain to grannies what I went through on my trip. Much to my surprise, loud granny proceeds to tell me that has done that since day one!!! She took it back 2 days after purchase and was assured it was all good and cozy. 76 years old. Brand new off the lot. Not her,the Focus. She proceeds then too never question it again.Not even at service appts. I tell loud granny that I will dig into and get answers for her. That was 3 hours ago. It has taken me this long to read all the complaints on just this one forum. I am blown away at the apathy with which for Ford has dealt with this issue. Class action is nowhere near what my first remedy thought was. My personality doesn't lend itself to public safety when being treated as many Focus owners have been..What a disgusting and cowardly way to deal with a problem of this scale with no end in sight.All I can say is thank Jesus himself my name isn't on the registration!!! Now how do I tell these sweet old grannies they are up sh*t creek with a Ford, and their life jacket is an anchor. To which Fomoco could give two sh*ts.

- , Ticonderoga, NY, USA

Oct 012016

Focus SE 2.4L

From history its been checked but never fixed, feels like the transmission is going to let go at times.

- , Leroy, IL, USA

Sep 052016

Focus

This doesn't happen every time I stop. Sometimes it is much worse then others.

- , Paris, TN, USA

Nov 052015

Focus SE 2.0L

Here I go again, back to the dealer to have transmission repaired. Bought used 2013 Focus in October 2015. It's been in 3 times for the same problem, transmission slips and jerks when taking off. Last visit to Ford dealer service department they adjusted the clutch and told me it will have to be replaced if problem continues. Well here goes another trip to service department and hope they can really fix it but won't get my hopes up. I'm 70 years old and told my family if I die or get injured in a car crash with this car sue Ford for everything they have!

- , ORLAND HILLS, IL, USA

May 052015

Focus

This is the last time I am going to purchase a Ford car. They say this is the way the car is. We already have had it in 4 times and had software updates. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A FORD CAR AGAIN.

- , Marlboro, NJ, USA

Aug 012015

Focus

I had my ford focus since July 2015. My dealer was nice we talk about the issue I know its not their fault its Ford corp. Its a Pretty nice car but yes the transmission is really bad for this model 2011-2016 He told me my best bet is to get the Ford Fusions.

If you all didn't know a while back In response to complaints Ford made the Transmission Control Module coverage up to 100,000 miles and the clutch is 120,000 miles. More info: http://californialemonlawgroup.com/ford-to-extend-warranty-on-2012-2014-ford-focus/ My TCM went bad on me 2 months ago I just took it in to my dealer and they fix it for free. He told me ford was giving some kind of trade in incentive because of my car trans issues. There is "The Ford Transmission Defect Class Action Lawsuit" Make sure to fill out the info on the side at: http://fordpowershiftlawsuit.com/ I take to the lawyer back in August 2016 she told me we should know something by the end of the year. This case is maybe a long one though. I been on got another car by then. smdh

- , CINCINNATI, OH, USA

Jul 012016

Focus

Purchased the car for new driver, car hesitates from the stop position. Have brought the vehicle in for service 3 times for this issue. They reprogram everything and say nothing is wrong. Concerned the car will not respond when you need to pull out into busy traffic. Probable will sell the vehicle and never strongly consider ford again . Word of most is key for Ford to correct this issue. Everyone knows 200 people which can impact future sales.

- , Hope We'll Junction, NY, USA

Sep 072016

Focus Sedan 3.0L

Though I brought a pretty good car Ford has been in my family all my life , so I decide to buy one big, I mean big mistake. Transmission jerking, slow start at take off, growling noise, shaking car, I thought Ford was a good car. Sorry not. The new fords suck. Being an older woman I thought it would save me on gas. What good is the gas if the transmission is giving me problems. HELP

- , Brockton, Pacific Islands (US)

Apr 152016

Focus SE 2.0L

Purchased a Ford Focus SE 2013 from a local auto dealer used with 36,000 miles on it. It appeared to be a great car and even drove great for the test drive. After a few weeks of having it I noticed a huge hesitation when taking off and a shutter. The shutter can get pretty bad and almost feels like your wheels are skipping. I have tried not to put the gas on to fast in hopes of alleviating this issue to no avail.

Recently I have had a huge Thumping in my right passenger side wheel (or at least that is where it looks and feels like it is coming from). This is down right scary. I feel that my car is not very safe but I don't have another option. I am on a budget and can't afford to roll over this car into another car payment and so on.

I feel I was lied to about this car and that is was hyped up for this dual clutch automatic transmission that is suppose to be part manual. If it works so great as a Volkswagen why mess with a good thing Ford? I am seeing about 6 years worth of a pain in my ass in the near future. I only have an extended warranty for 72k miles or up to 6 years... so for me it is an additional 3 years. I guess I could be happy that Ford extended the Transmission warranty to last til 150k miles because I am sure it is gonna have to be traded out or fixed. As well as the clutch... eventually.

More than anything I hate that every time I have it looked at they say it falls within parameters. NICE. I feel like I could die in this car and they say... oh you won't. Wait just wait. One day this will happen. I am very careful not to jump out into traffic and am very careful in general.

- , Belleville, IL, USA

Dec 012015

Focus SE 2.0L

FIRST BRAND NEW CAR FROM FORD. LAST NEW CAR OR ANY CAR FROM FORD.

Started having transmission issues around 30,000 kms. Had clutch replaced around 55,000. Started acting up again around 65,000 kms. All times Ford service was notified at the dealer. They have a specific warranty guide to follow so basically they wait until the clutch needs replacing. Not when it starts to jerk, chatter, rev high unexpectedly. Now at 93,000 kms and going back in for service again, got a notice from Ford that they are covering this "problem"until 240,000 kms. I can't rely on my new vehicle to go long distances...so pathetic. I will never ever buy another Ford so long as I live.

- , Halifax, NS, Canada

Jul 022016

Focus

Just bought a 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback. Had the car 2 weeks and it started to hesitate and jerking after being stopped at a light or stop sign. Took it to the dealership where I bought it and they said it maybe this or maybe that but was not sure what the problem was. I am a college student and do not have extra money to fix a "maybe" They asked me if it happened when I was in reverse and it had not. Well the very next day is started making a awful clunking noise when in reverse on top of the jerking and hesitation after stopping. I was treated so bad. I have not even made my first payment and am a afraid to drive it. With all the complaints there should be a recall.

Update from Jul 26, 2016: Took to another Ford dealership and they said they are unsure of what the problem is. In reverse it will make a noise if my foot is totally off the break it does not make the noise. Have another appt this week so I will see what they say. I do not feel safe driving the car.

- , Angola, IN, USA

Apr 012016

Focus

I got the car used. Shortly after it started this hesitation stuff. This went on for a few months and I started reading up about all the transmission troubles online. Finally took it in and was told there was a voluntary recall on the software for the clutch. They changed the software and cleaned the clutch. They had it for 10 days. At first they offered me a rental, then on the day of, they called to say no rental available due to the city was sold out? Really! Nonetheless, I left it. Got it back and it started doing it the same day.

I got 2 online surveys and even wrote the office of my displeasure. I got no replies. Even when I did the survey saying I was unhappy.

I have talked to strangers who I see driving these sh*tty cars and they all have the same issue.

I want to know how we can class action sue them? Can I force FORD to give me my money back? This is truly an embarrassing situation when driving and everyone inside gets jerked around when your driving.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Apr 082013

Focus Titanium 2L

Stop and go traffic is the worst and I deal with it daily, hence the reason for an automatic tranny. It's never failed on me but I hate the jerky feeling. Never buying another Ford or Automatic again.

Update from Jul 5, 2016: Plus the attitude I get from Blackstock Ford is even more annoying. They sound annoyed just picking up the phone.

- , Orangeville, ON, Canada