CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 072016

Fusion

Throttle body. I looked it up and found a "recall" situation?

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 152016

Fusion

July 15,2016 my 2012 Ford Fusion, with 30,212 miles jerked and stalled. Had to coast to the side of the road. To restart and the wrench light came on. Took to dealer on July 18 was told it sounded like the emission throttle but have to run test I need to pay $115 that would go toward the repair have a extended warranty but she states it's on me.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jun 032016

Fusion

Unaware that my throttle control transmission was defective. My car shut off, while I was driving at approximately 35/40 mph, on a bend entering a bridge and I was almost hit by a bus. When I started car up again, it went into limp mode and it creeped until I got to a safe area and had to have it towed. Ford repaired it for free after I made numerous calls but I had to pay for a rental which cost me $140. If I had been traveling down a major highway, I couldve been killed. I never received notification of this defective part. Also, my evaporator sensor went bad in my Fusion. A known defective part in earlier years up to my year car. The car is only 4 years old and I have no air conditioning. The part is a $20 defective part but the repairs cost over $600 because the entire dash needs torn apart. I feel that since Ford knew of this defect, this should also be repaired free of charge. I have a handicapped son who needs air conditioning and financially I cannot afford to pay such a large sum of money to replace this well known defective part.

- Westmoreland City, PA, USA

Apr 112016

Fusion

Mu 2012 Ford Fusion lost power to the steering on the highway so when I pulled the steering wheel hard so I can get to the side of the highway when I finally got to to the side of the highway I turned the car off and turned it back on the steering wheel will not move and a message on the dashboard appears and say service "power steering know" so I had to call a tow truck and when it got to the dealership they said it is a problem with electronic steering rack and pinion faulty and it would cost me 1,500 dollers to get it fix so I started researching on the NHTSA website and found out it was a recall but my car was not affected and I don't know how cause its alot of people with this same problem with their 2012 Ford Fusion.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Apr 012016

Fusion

Driving at 60 mph I could hear friction worsens and car would lose momentum easily because of the friction. Then I start to hear a knocking sound somewhere in the engine perhaps or the wheel unsure and as all that worsens, I can feel the car losing control like it's gotten a flat tire. Power steering got stiffer while the car kind of drifted left and then right as tho I was going to lose control of the vehicle. It was really scary so I immediately slowed down because I had no control on the steering.

- Portland, OR, USA

Oct 312015

Fusion

Saturday, Oct 31st, the low tire pressure was indicated and verified the right-front tire was low when the car was started. I drove the car 3000 feet about 25 mph and service advancetrac and power steering assist fault displayed. Brought the car to the dealership and they claim the tires need replacing. Excluding the low pressure in one tire, there should have not been a failure and the tires are not bald.

- Oakland Park, FL, USA

Jun 222015

Fusion

While driving car warning indicator on cluster flashed "service advance track now, but car continued to drive fine. Parked car at store and upon return and starting of car pulled out of parking lot and had no power steering almost impossible to steer car at this point, then warning on dash displayed "service power steering now", and "service advanced trak now". was able to get car to dealer, but as of today 7/2/2015 the dealer has not been able to fix it. And has stated over the last week and a half that parts have been ordered and may be in any day, but can not provide a time frame for the parts or the fix.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 142015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 60 mph, the stabilitrac warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The vehicle was restarted and operated as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

Mar 152015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on highway the dash screen showed advance trac light came on then the computer screen flashed up power steering unit failure. Steering of the vehicle became dangerous and I left the highway to travel at a slower rate of speed. I was instructed to turn off the car and that when restarted it would reset but it did not reset nor fix this. The car is extremely hard to steer and should not be driven. I contacted the dealer I bought it from and they stated there was no recall on it and I would need to bring it to them and they would run tests and see what is wrong. But I would have to pay for this service and any parts and labor needed to fix it.

- Belle, WV, USA

Feb 262015

Fusion 6-cyl

I own a Ford Fusion 2012 with about 95,000 miles on it. No other issues since its purchase in November 2014. Weeks ago I started the car, and the powersteering assist message came on, could not move car. Steering locked. Read the manual for car. Turned car off and back on. Problem went away. I thought it might be the cold weather or ice blocking a sensor. However intermittently this has happened again and again and sometimes takes several tries of on/off to get the car to become drivable. Also now it sometimes says advancetrac service and the drivers side door will not open so I, a tall person, need to try to climb over the seat and get out on the passenger side into traffic. Having ones car not start up in a city such as mine is dangerous for single women at night who might be alone. So far this power steering lock hasn't happened while driving like many of the other hundreds of posts about the advancetrac problems, but I am scared that this will happen to me and that I could get into an accident. I am a student and do not have thousands of dollars to repair this vehicle if the issue will just keep happening again and cost me more thousands of dollars. The closet Ford dealer to me is in latham, NY and they do not answer their phone. I feel very unsafe in this vehicle that I need to drive on a daily basis. I believe that Ford should have a recall of these unsafe cars.

- Troy, NY, USA

Dec 112014

Fusion

First incident was in 2013, driving down freeway and advance trac light came on then the power steering went out on car. Took in for repairs and cost me $2054 for repairs, was told not under warranty. Paid for repair and here it is less than on year later and I have same failures on my vehicle as my husband, son and grandson were coming back from a trip. Thank god no one was hurt. First advance trac light came on followed by power steering fault light came on and they lost the power steering to the car. Tried to turn car off and restart car again and still no power steering available. This is becoming quite common for this model car because my daughter has the same car and had the exact same issue. Something has to be done, before someone gets killed. Always after the issue happens when driving car the engine shifts really hard, RPM's go up and then slams into gear!!!!

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Nov 202014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving about 30mph and all of a sudden the "service advancetrac" warning popped up in the cars dash along with "service power steering now". I lost my power steering and this was very odd and dangerous because it left me with no power steering in the middle of driving. Considering the car is only 2 years old and having only 35000 miles this should be a problem that has to be taken care from Ford.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 232014

Fusion

Ford Fusion 2012 power steering went out. Car is near impossible to operate. Took it to shop, is going to cost upwards of $1,900 to fix, car is no longer under warranty. Power steering light came on, issue was not corrected upon re-start.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 062014

Fusion

This has happened to my 2012 Ford Fusion twice. I just got my car back from the Ford dealership repair center and a week later the power steering goes out while I am driving. The rod and pinion was replaced the first time my 2012 Ford Fusion was put in the shop. The service power steering light came on, and the advance track light came on both times.

- Grove City, PA, USA

Sep 222014

Fusion 4-cyl

I bought the car used from carmax on April 5, 2014 with less than 15,000 miles on it. Apparently it passed their comprehensive 125 pt inspection. Since I had to be back at work later this week, was driving back to sacramento, California in Oregon on my way back from seattle, wa after dropping my daughter off at college. Made a lane change at 60 mph and noticed the stability control light on and the messages "service advancetrac now" and "service powersteering now" come on (I am deaf so I can't hear the chimes). Steering became a increasingly difficult, especially on the I-5 on the mountain passes in Oregon. I slowed down and was able to pull over to the nearest rest stop. Turned the car off to let it rest and turn it back on. Stability control light was off but service powersteering now message still came on at slower speeds. Stability control light came back on again with the "service advancetrac now" message displaying. Did this a few times with the same results and steering became increasingly difficult. Was able to get the car to my aunt's who lives nearby in Oregon. Since the car is still under warranty, my aunt called Ford who then sent out a tow truck to have it towed to the nearest Ford dealership in roseburg, or. Where it's being looked at. Did some research and came across all these recent complaints for the same year and model of my car. Never had anything like that happened to me before and it was a scary experience. I or someone else could've been killed from this issue. It seriously needs to be addressed and dealt with.

- Antelope, CA, USA

Sep 102014

Fusion

I was driving downhill at a steady 60 mph with no turns and got a error message on the dashboard to "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac now". the tow was covered under roadside assistance, however the estimate for this fix has not yet been received. For a brand new vehicle purchased with 0 miles, this sort of problem has been common among other vehicles and deserves a recall. Had I not known what to do given the situation, there could have been a very bad accident.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Jul 032014

Fusion

The advance trac power steering on my 2012 Ford Fusion cut out in the middle of a left hand turn leaving a traffic light. It had done this once before, a year prior at around 34000 miles while it was still under warranty, and the dealership sent me away telling me it was an isolated incident as the steering recovered when I turned the vehicle on and off. This time, when I reset it, it cut out again driving through the parking lot at the shopping center I was at less than 500 yards traveled later. This time when I took the vehicle in for repair they acknowledged the issue was real and claim the entire steering column needs replaced or this will continue to happen. They will not cover it under warranty despite the fact I had made a claim related to this exact issue while it was under warranty previously. The steering has thankfully only cut out for me at low speeds and in places I was able to quickly and easily pull over even without power steering. If this were to occur at higher speeds or in places I was less able to pull over I am not sure I could have maneuvered the vehicle safely for any extended amount of time.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Jun 292014

Fusion

I got off the highway and when coming off the ramp I got an error message stating advancetrac power steering failure. There was also a chime and the dashboard light came on. I read that turning off your engine will reset it and it did but I am afraid to drive the car.

- Reisterstown , MD, USA

Apr 172014

Fusion

Total loss of power steering while car was in motion, thankfully at low speed. Dash warning read as follows: Service advancetrack power steering assist fault system reset itself after car was turned off then back on, but failed again (same error message) upon arrival at my home.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Apr 022014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving straight and steady 45mph on surface street, no traffic, no braking or lane change. Suddenly chimes sounded, "service advanced trac" in message center and yellow advance trac idiot light on. In about 20 seconds chimes, message and light go off and message text returns to real time mpg reading. Continued driving home without shutting engine off or any further warnings/incident. Took to dealer 7am next morning (4/3/2014) at 15753 miles. At end of day service advisor said test code showed bad "torque sensor" which is in the steering column and measures turning effort on the steering wheel and that they needed to keep vehicle overnight. 1130am next morning (4/4/2014) spoke to service advisor. He said car fixed by changing the rack and pinion gear assembly w/electric steering motor (Ford part number: Ae5Z-3504-ce). Before and during incident I never noticed anything wrong with steering or braking--just the warnings. Vehicle repaired under warranty.

- Rancho Cordova, CA, USA