ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 32)

Aug 012018

Fusion

My car is having a steering assist fault. Almost half a million similar vehicles recalled for the same issue but Ford won't fix this under recall.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Jul 182018

Fusion

We were driving the car and the power steering locked the car did not give us an alert until the power steering finally locked. We could not break we had to quickly shut off the car and we weren¿T near our home when this occurred

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 262018

Fusion

The power steering failed suddenly while driving.

- Madisonville, TN, USA

Aug 222018

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 25 mph, the power steering seized and a tire blew out. The vehicle was able to be driven off the road and to the contact's residence. The manufacturer stated that there was no recall for the failures; however, there was a customer satisfaction program where the power steering would be covered by a dealer. The contact called nazareth Ford (4067 jandy blvd, nazareth, pa 18064, (866) 601-7744) and was informed that the power steering failure would not be covered and the contact would be charged for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 49,500.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Jun 212018

Fusion

Known issue, safety recall for sudden loss of power steering 15S18, 14S06 and supplement and15N01 extended. Ford Motor Company will only repair the safety issue if certain internal fault codes are present indicating that certain components are defective, unfortunately there are more components that fail causing power steering loss, 2 codes that presented that resulted in power steering loss are C1277 and C1963 but these are not covered by the safety recall according to Ford. The issue is safety and all components that cause the sudden loss of power steering need to be covered under the safety recall and repaired at no charge to the consumer. I believe that Ford is skirting their responsibility to repair the the defective autos using the internal fault codes as an excuse. It doesn¿T matter what code is present when power steering fails as the codes are not the safety issue. The steering gear in this Fusion was replaced 8/2017. The power steering failed again and was towed to Ford in 3/2018, and the software was updated at owners expense and once again the power steering failed and was towed to Ford in 3/2018 and according to Ford the steering gear was replaced yet again at the owners expense, then the next day failed once more and the towed once more to Ford. Ford claiming that the first gear replacement closed out the recall. That is 4 power steering failures in the same car. Ford refuses to take responsibility for the defective components and has instead shifted to cost to the owners. There are hundreds of consumers that have faced this issue.the safety recall is not having the desired effect of repairing the issue and now Ford is playing a waiting game as the vehicles are reaching the 150 thousand mile threshold where by Ford will refuse to repair the problem. There are about 500 thousand of these defective cars on the road today and we are no safer.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Aug 132018

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle lost the ability to steer and the power steering failure warning indicator illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle needed to be driven in manual mode after the failure. The vehicle was taken to woodhouse Ford (3633 N 72nd St, omaha, ne 68134, (402) 574-2759) where it was diagnosed that there was a steering gear failure, which needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 122018

Fusion

While in stationary, the steering wheel locked up and I could not turn the vehicle. A message appeared on the dashboard saying "service power steering now." I had it towed to a mechanic and confirmed that there is a problem with the electronic power assist and must be replaced. However, the steering came back to normal after a day. I found out on Ford's website that there is a recall (15N01) issued on the car and that I should contact a Ford dealership to diagnose and service the problem. But, the mechanics at Ford's dealership said that they were not able to duplicate the issue and therefore, could not fix it unless it happens again.

- Cheverly, MD, USA

Jul 102018

Fusion

Front left transmission seal leaking, axle shaft loose and damaged, wheel increasingly wobbly with speed. Directly and negatively affects brake rotors and pads as well as wheel knuckle stability and shock absorber wear. Car is dangerous to drive as steering control has decreased dramatically. The rubber seal around the transaxle on the left (driver side) front wheel axle has been sliced open from the inside by metal shavings produced by the bad production of the parts included in the axle shaft assembly, causing abnormal wear/shaving of the shaft. The joint has been completely damaged and is now in turn causing damage to the upper and lower ball joints, shock absorber, wheel knuckle, steering arm, brake rotors, break pads, the wheel hub, wheel bearing, tire etc. It literally efects the entire driver side front suspension, drivetrain, and steering components, continuously degrading their state with time and making them more dangerous to use/more dangerous to drive the car. No history of any damage has been recorded on this vehicle on that side and this has been a factory defect from the beginning, just poorly and very slowly addressed. Because if Ford's untimely response to this issue, most owners are forced to deal with the issues in vehicles effected by this Ford factory defect out of their own pocket, which is unfair.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 082018

Fusion

The "rack and steering gear is broken" which is the same thing as a recall for this car, but apparently doesn't apply to my VIN number and therefore is not covered. I took it to a non Ford repair center and they confirmed that is was the same issue as stated in the recall for other 2012 Ford Fusion, but I have to pay almost 2,000 to get it fixed on my own. I spent 107 dollars getting it looked at first by the other party since my vehicle was not given the recall and I wasn't informed of the issue before it happened and then still had to pay for Ford to fix it.

- Cary, NC, USA

Aug 062018

Fusion

Power steering is not working at startup sometimes. Get a message on the dashboard about "electronic steering assist fault". restarting the engine solves the issue. Why is this car not under the recall? it fits the description of the recall for this make model and year. It does not have the V6 engine.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 252018

Fusion

Knocking sound and looseness in steering wheel. My mechanic says it is the rack and pinion. Ford garage says it is not covered by recall unless it has warning sound. Knocking happens whenever I am driving it.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Jul 202018

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 65 mph, the power steering malfunctioned and the warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to find a failure code. The dealer (krieger Ford, Inc, 1800 morse rd, columbus, oh 43229, (614) 888-3320) was contacted and stated that there was no recall for the power steering. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer confirmed the dealer's information and referred the contact to NHTSA. The failure mileage was 136,351.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 012018

Fusion

Steering wheel locked down in my front yard, right front light went out I was told it was a electrical problem and now it is the passenger airbag now I am afraid to drive the car long distance

- Piedmont, SC, USA

Jul 282018

Fusion

The car had been parked for 2 days. I went to turn the car on, and it was immediately clear that the power steering wasn¿T working, and 'service advancetrac¿ 'service power steering now¿ notifications are on. This car had been recalled already for this issue, and clearly whatever they did, did not actually fix the problem. However, sunrise Ford repair told me the recall was no longer on my car, and that it a recall repair could only be given if it was ¿under a year ago¿, and ¿under 12000¿ miles ago. While I look for the receipt, I do believe this is the case but if it isn¿T, why would this matter if it was a faulty repair done in fredericton, Canada" and was going to break 1 mile over 12,000 and a day over a year, essentially. I was 50 miles away from home when this happened to me, with no cell phone reception, had to drive out of a canyon, then onto highways, with absolutely no power steering and a very difficult time driving the car. And Ford told me since there was no recall on the car (") that it would cost 135$ to even inspect the good! this was anthony, at sunrise Ford in North hollywood.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Jul 022018

Fusion

Starting at 36,000- 120,000 miles the control arms wear prematurely. Given the design of the linkage system this causes the steering to bind in a fashion that causes the driver to have to over steer to get the power steering to overcome the bound linkages and momentary loss of control

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Jul 102018

Fusion

Driving on a city street, power steering suddenly disengaged. Message on dash said 'service power steering now.' I was able to manually steer safely home. Contacted Ford customer service and was told that the safety recall only applies to cars with less than 150K miles. Since the previous owner had driven more than that, the car is suddenly safe!" how can a safety recall expire" Ford wants $2000 to repair a design defect.

- Moline, IL, USA

Jul 152018

Fusion

Yesterday on July 15, 2018 the power steering on my car went out while I was driving to the store. It flashes on the dash to service power steering now. I¿ve see. Online that their was a recall before in 2015 on my car for the power steering but when I went to Ford they said there was no recall. It is completely unsafe to be driving and all sudden the steering wheel is tight and hard to turn!

- St. Stephen, SC, USA

Jul 132018

Fusion

While driving my power steering failed, then proceeded to lock up once I pulled the car over. Could not move the steering wheel at all, had to get the car towed.

- Adams, MA, USA

Apr 252018

Fusion

The electrical steering has gone out in my car. I called Ford and they refuse to do anything about this. I find this unacceptable since they currently have re all's on 2012 Ford Fusion for this exact issue. My life and my daughters could be in danger behind them not taking responsibility and fixing this just because it's not on that particular VIN #

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jun 062018

Fusion

Ford Fusion safety recall 15S18 power steering assist.I was driving down the highway when an alert appeared on the dash that I needed to service the power steering immediately/service "autotrac" I had my car towed to a local mechanic who told me that the repair needed stemmed from a recall that occurred for my vehicle.I called the dealership I purchased my car from, Santa Fe Ford alachua fl. I was informed by them that there was nothing they could do to help me in the repair but told me to reach out to my local Ford dealership as Santa Fe Ford is 80 miles away. I then had my car towed from the mechanic's shop to nick nicholas Ford in inverness fl. The service manager at nick nicholas informed me that there was no recall showing for my vehicle and I should reach out to Ford customer service hotline and file a claim with them. Upon filing my claim with Ford directly, they told me that my vehicle had been brought in to satisfy the power steering recall in 2015 in miami, fl and there was no extended warranty on the recall. I proceeded to have nick nicholas conduct the repairs. I paid nick nicholas $138.57 on 3/29/18 to "update the software" for my power steering. I drove my car for months after the software update. On 6/7/18 I was driving my car to work when the alert appeared on my dash saying "service power steering immediately" and it was at this point I lost all power steering. I was able to get my car off of the highway and into my place of work. I contacted the service manager at nick nicholas, brian, who told me this repair should be covered under the recall. I towed my car back to nick nicholas, afterward they informed me my repair would not be covered. Ford customer service offered to pay 250$ toward the cost of the repair, the service manager brian would cover approximately 500$ for the repair, leaving me with about $1,100 worth of repairs to pay out of pocket.

- Inverness, FL, USA