2012 Ford Fusion steering problems: power assist steering failure

Power Assist Steering Failure

2012 Ford Fusion (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

9.1

$1,590

2. replace electronic steering gear code c200d (8 reports)
  3. replace steering gear (5 reports)
  4. complete replacement of steering column (3 reports)
  5. replace rack and pinion (3 reports)
  6. fixed (1 reports)
2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 012018

Fusion SEL

This is annoying, I have had to fix multiple things on this car. I am still paying on it and I am having to fix issues with the car with money I don’t have.

- Peter C., Tolleson, AZ, US

Oct 062017

Fusion SEL 2.5L V4

The Advancetrac and EPAS (electronic power assist steering) went out at the same time on my Fusion with only 88000 miles on it. After some further research, there is a NHTSA recall number on this problem. It is 15V340000. The Ford Recall Number is 15S18.

What angers me is that despite the fact this car is the same effective model year and made in the same manufacturing plant as detailed in the recall, Ford will not cover the repair for us because it happens to fall one month outside the effective time window of the Recall. Ford knows that this is a major design flaw but they will not stand by their product and fix the problem.

The other issue is why NHTSA is not extending the time range to encompass all model year 2012 Ford Fusion made in Mexico. I wonder how much Ford bought off NHTSA to limit the scope of the recall. Despite that clearly Ford is in the wrong here, we were quoted $1900 to fix the problem. At the very least, I would have expected Ford to cover at least 70% of the fix (preferably all). Instead, they want to extort your loyal customers to fix with our money your problem. Amazing!!

We also own a Ford Flex so apparently we are loyal customers. I used to believe that FORD was first on race day but now it definitely is found on road dead!! My father retired from Ford Motor Company (Avon Lake Plant). Come on Ford, help the little people out. Do the right thing!!

- Lisa R., Gulfport, US

Aug 142017

Fusion SEL 2.2L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

incredibly poor technology. it's been an ongoing issue. When the trouble light came on , shutting the car off AND RESTARTING WOULD OFTEN FIX IT...TEMPORARILY.

- David D., Spokane, US

Jul 022017

Fusion SE

I AM A LIEUTENANT ON THE SAINT JOHN FIRE DEPARTMENT IN SAINT JOHN, INDIANA. MY DAUGHTER DRIVES THE 2012 FORD FUSION SE. SHE WAS ON A TRIP IN TEXAS WHEN THIS STEERING FAILURE OCCURRED. SHE WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO STEER IT INTO A SAFE PARKING AREA WHEN THIS HAPPENED. SHE WAS 100 MILES FROM HOME WHEN SHE CALLED ME TO TELL ME OF THIS PROBLEM.

I RESEARCHED THIS ISSUE ON-LINE AND THAT IS WHEN I DISCOVERED THE ELECTRONIC POWER STEERING FAILURE RECALL # 15S18. EVIDENTLY, THIS HAS EFFECTED OVER 500,000 VEHICLES. BEING IN THE FIRE BUSINESS I AM THANKFUL THAT NOTHING HAPPENED TO MY DAUGHTER WHILE SHE WAS DRIVING THIS VEHICLE. THIS COULD HAVE BEEN A VERY SERIOUS ACCIDENT OR WORSE !! I ADVISED HER TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE BACK HOME AND TO THE NEAREST FORD DEALERSHIP INSTEAD OF GETTING IT TOWED FROM OVER 100 MILES AWAY IF SHE THOUGHT SHE COULD DRIVE IT SLOW AND SAFELY. SHE WAS INDEED ABLE TO DRIVE IT BACK HOME AND PARKED IT AT THE NEAREST FORD DEALERSHIP CLOSEST TO HER HOME.

THE VEHICLE IS THERE RIGHT NOW AS I AM TYPING THIS COMPLAINT. I DO NOT HAVE A COST ESTIMATE FOR THIS REPAIR AS OF YET. I WANT FORD TO TAKE FULL AND COMPLETE RESPONSABLITY FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL # 15S18 AND PAY FOR ALL EXPENSES TO REPAIR THIS VEHICLE. IF THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN A WORST CASE SCENARIO ( IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN ) THEN WE WOULD BE TALKING ABOUT A LAWSUIT INSTEAD OF A REPAIR AND COSTING FORD MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO SAY THE LEAST !!

- bgfirefighter, Saint John, US

Jun 122017

Fusion SEL 3.0L

This was supposedly fixed under a recall about a year ago, I find now that they only did a software update by direction of Ford. Now they say they have to replace the steering gear and it is not covered under warranty because my car went over mileage last month. Amazing how this stuff happens right after the warranty runs out.

- Scott P., Tecumseh, MI, US

Mar 252017

Fusion

I almost hit the car in front of me! Luckily my kids weren't in the car and I was driving down the road at a regular speed. My wheel locked up and I was going about 5mph and still almost hit another vehicle bc my wheel wouldn't turn. I had to have my car towed to the Ford garage in Morgantown where I spent 3+ hours waiting for a diagnostic test bc they forgot about me?!

I owned Ford vehicles previously but NEVER again after this 'lack of service'! So when they informed me that my sensor went bad, they said it's within the rack and pinion, so I have to have the whole thing replaced and will cost a little over $2000 but they will 'cut me a break' and offer $540 off? First of all, a worker there said they were having problems with this vehicle and their sensors going bad, but bc my car wasn't one of the 'VIN recalls' it is NOT covered???

I see many Ford Fusion owners fell into this same problem and I'm going to contact a local news station if any of you are interested on telling your part of this problem as well? Msg me for further details if interested...

I have tried contacting Ford Motor Company and they said to save my receipt in case my VIN happens to show up as a recall??? Seriously??? They should have it taken care of with the low miles and knowing that it was a bad sensor? What's it going to take? Someone getting seriously injured??? VERY POOR service from FORD! Always bragged about my Ford vehicles, but NOT after this! Hello CHEVY!!! My whole family always put me down bc I owned a Ford and they are 'die-hard' Chevy owners! Now I know why!!!

- Jacqueline F., Morgantown, WV, US

Nov 122016

Fusion

Power steering failure November 2016. Ford will not replace power steering gear under warranty. Repair will cost $2,000. I have been driving without power steering since November 2016. My car will not pass state inspection, due in June 2017, without power steering. I have contacted NHTSA, and yesterday sent a complaint to the Texas Attorney General and the FTC. I may also contact local TV stations to see if they are interested in reporting this consumer issue. I have also contacted Chairs of the relevant House oversight committees. No response from any of them. I have spoken to the caseworker in the district office of my Congressman John Culberson. She forwrded my correspondence to the NHTSA. I am not sure if I want to join a class action, but I would like to submit written information re my experience to the Judge who is deciding this issue in the court system. I do not know which judge/court to contact. Can you supply this information to me?

- Melanie W., Houston, US

Aug 112016

Fusion SEL

2012 FORD FUSION SEL WITH ONLY 21,100 MILES ON AND 3 YEARS OLD. WAS DRIVING THE CAR AND EVERY TIME I MAKE A TURN THE CAR CLUNKS. TOOK IT TO A PRIVATE AUTO SERVICE CENTER TO HAVE IT DIAGNOSED. HE DIAGNOSED THAT THE PROBLEM WAS THE ASSEMBLY STEERING SYSTEM. HE ADVISED US IT WASN'T SAFE TO DRIVE THIS VEHICLE. HE SAID HE WAS VERY SURPRISED THIS WAS HAPPENING IN SUCH A NEW CAR WITH LOW MILEAGE. HE CALLED THE FORD COMPANY AND HE WAS TOLD THEY WOULDN'T COVER IT AND THERE WAS NO RECALL FOR THIS. I THEN CALLED FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPLAINED THE SITUATION AND THE GUY PUT ME ON HOLD TALKED TO A SUPERVISOR AND TOLD ME TO HAVE THE CAR MOVED TO A FORD DEALERSHIP AND HAVE THEM DIAGNOSIS THE PROBLEM AND THEN TOLD ME TO CALL FORD BACK AND TELL THEM IF THEY DIAGNOSED THE SAME PROBLEM. I WAS TOLD I WASN'T GOING TO HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS REPAIR THEY WERE GOING TO TAKE CARE OF IT SINCE IT WAS A SAFETY ISSUE. AFTER THE DEALER DIAGNOSED THE SAME ISSUE I CALLED FORD, TALKED TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO LOOKED ME UP AND SAID THERE WAS NO RECORD OF ME CALLING THE FIRST TIME. I WAS VERY UPSET AND FRUSTRATED SO THE LADY MARY ANN SAID SHE WAS GOING TO START A NEW CASE IN WHICH SHE DID. I HAD TO EXPLAIN EVERYTHING ALL OVER AGAIN AND TELL HER WHAT I WAS TOLD EARLIER IN THE DAY. SHE THEN SAID SHE HAD TO PUT ME ON HOLD AND TALK TO A SUPERVISOR. SHE CAME BACK ON THE PHONE AND SAID YES MAAM YOU WERE RIGHT YOUR DOING EXCATLY WHAT YOU WERE TOLD TO AND SHE REASSURED ME FORD WAS GOING TO TAKE CARE OF THE REPAIRS AND THE COST AND I WOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING. SHE TOLD ME TO JUST HAVE THE DEALERSHIP CALL THEM WITH MY CASE NUMBER AND THEY WOULD GIVE THEM THE OK TO FIX THE CAR AND THEY WOULD TAKE CARE OF THE COST. SO I CALLED THE DEALERSHIP TOLD THEM AND THEY THEN CALLED FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE WITH MY CASE NUMBER TO GET THE APPROVAL TO HAVE THE CAR FIXED AND PAID FOR. WELL THEN I GET A CALL FROM THE DEALERSHIP SAYING FORD SAID THEY WEREN'T GOING TO PAY FOR IT IT WAS JUST A CASE NUMBER FOR A COMPLAINT. SO I CALLED BACK AND ASKED TO TALK TO MARY ANN AND WAS TOLD THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE THERE IS NO WAY OF GETTING A HOLD OF OTHER EMPLOYEES. I THEN HAD TO RE-EXPLAIN THE WHOLE SITUATION TO A DIFFERENT GIRL AND SHE THEN PUT ME ON HOLD AND SAID SHE TALKED TO HER SUPERVISOR AND THEY SAID THEY NEVER WOULD OF OK'ED PAYMENT FOR THIS. SHE WAS VERY RUDE TO ME AND I ASKED HER HOW WOULD FORD FEEL IF WE GOT IN A CAR ACCIDENT AND WAS KILLED OR KILLED SOMEONE ELSE DUE TO LOSING OUR STEERING? HER RESPONSE WAS WELL I WOULD HOPE YOU WOULD GET IT FIXED. I THEN SAID WHAT ABOUT ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO OWN THESE VEHICLES AND DON'T KNOW THIS IS A ISSUE. THEY COULD LOSE THEIR STEERING AND GET KILLED OR KILL SOMEONE ELSE. I SAID IT MAKES NO SENSE THAT FORD WOULDN'T WANT TO TAKE CARE OF THIS HUGE SAFETY ISSUE AND RECALL THESES VEHICLES. SHE TOLD ME MAAM THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM. I CONTINUED TO CALL BACK AND TALK TO SEVERAL OTHER PEOPLE REGARDING THIS ISSUE MEANWHILE MY CAR IS SITTING AT DEALERSHIP WAITING TO GET FIXED. FINALLY THEY ESCALATED THE PROBLEM HIGHER UP IN FORD TO SEE IF THEY WILL PAY FOR THIS REPAIR. MEANWHILE MY CAR WILL BE SITTING THERE UNTIL I WAIT TO HEAR BACK FROM FORD. I HOPE THEY PAY FOR THIS REPAIR AND I HOPE THEY RECALL THIS VEHICLE FOR THE ASSEMBLY STEERING SYSTEM. IF THEY DON'T IT'S VERY SAD. I LOOKED UP THIS PROBLEM AND ABOUT 25-30 PEOPLE REPORTED THE SAME ISSUE!!! WHY ISN'T FORD TAKING CARE OF THIS? THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE RATED HIGH AND HAVE HIGH CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. I DON'T FEEL THEY CARE IF THEY KNOW THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH THE ASSEMBLY STEERING SYSTEM WHICH IS A HUGE SAFETY ISSUE THAT CAN END IN INJURY AND DEATH BUT DON'T CARE ENOUGH TO START A RECALL OR PAY FOR CONSUMERS VEHICLES TO GET REPAIRED WHEN THEY KNOW THIS IS A HUGE SAFETY ISSUE.

I WONDER HOW FORD WOULD FEEL IF ONE OF THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS OR FRIENDS WERE INJURED OR EVEN KILLED IN A FORD FUSION OR BY A FORD FUSION FROM THE DRIVER LOSING STEERING AND NOT ABLE TO STEER AT ALL??? COME ON FORD STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND DO THE RIGHT THING. FIX THESE VEHICLES AND PAY FOR THE CONSUMERS TO GET THESE VEHICLES FIXED THAT HAVE THIS PROBLEM. START A RECALL SO NO ONE GETS KILLED BECAUSE OF FORD!!! I'M VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU FORD AS IS ALL MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS I HAVE SHARED THIS SITUATION WITH.

- Tonia H., Sheboygan Falls, WI, USA

Dec 232016

Fusion

It was Dec 23rd, Friday. On my way home from work I stopped for some last minute grocery shopping at a packed Walmart. As I started the car to pull out of my parking spot a light went off. Power steering assist failure. I could hardly turn the wheel. It was extremely difficult to back out of my parking spot. And terrifying to get out to the highway since it took 2 hands to pull and make a turn, but I made it home. We found the recall and scheduled to get my car into the dealership. For a week I was driving a rental I had to pay for, but the cost to repair my car was covered under the recall. At this time I have not had any more problems.

- mossmissouri, Crane, MO, USA

Dec 152016

Fusion

My daughter's 2012 ford fusion has 158,000 miles and the power steering went out and she had just received the recall notice last week. Took the car to dealer & they said not covered because of mileage was over 150000 and would cost 0ver 1600 to repair. Called Ford and they said the same thing. I have never heard of a safety recall having a mileage limit.

- Brad V., Hillsboro, KS, USA

Apr 022016

Fusion SEL 3L V6

Fortunately my wife was just backing out of the driveway when the dashboard lit up and the steering completely failed. Had it been on the highway it would surely have been a disaster. The complete rack & pinion system had to be replaced. Extended warranty covered all but $100. but later Ford declared it a recall and eventually the dealer refunded the $100. charge. We were also dead on the road with a throttle body problem about a year earlier. Ford did arrange a tow but it took over 5 hours during a hot summer day. Fortunately we were only about 10 min. away from our dealer. The dealer has been great with loaners since we've bought 5 Fords from them, but there are no Fords in our future. Will consider a used Toyota Camry or Honda Accord from them just to deal with them in the future.

This car, although nice when it works, has had 5 recalls and has been dead on the road for us twice. This car has had every recall failure and counting. It's getting to the point that we are nervous about driving out of town or very far from home. With the news of sun roof breakage I'm expecting this failure next. Can't Ford make cars reliable anymore? We've owned 5 Fords in the past 10 yrs. and this puppy is the worst by far for reliability. Our most reliable Ford was our prized Crown Vic but Ford chose to stop producing it.. My Escape V6 has abysmal mileage. Our Crown Vic V8 had better mileage. Go figure!

I love our dealer but during our last recall repair I told the sales Mgr. we will only buy a used Toyota Camry from him next. We're through with Fords and their crummy engineering quality.

- forddead, Mt. Prospect, IL, USA

Sep 192016

Fusion ES 4 cyl

Many Ford Fusion were recalled for similar problems, but mine was not included. It could have caused a serious accident and possibly loss of life. I believe they all should be recalled and I should be reimbursed for my cost of repair.

- rotoole, Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 162016

Fusion Limited 3.2L

My power steering works most of the time but in morning and sometimes on highway the power steering just goes away. When I force steering wheel back and forth it Comes back. Luckily it has not happened in while in heavy traffic but does make me drive differently. It also happens and more often is when I start the car at home and drive off or back up it becomes jerky. It will get hard and then easy and then hard and then easy and then goes away. I have had no major problem in the last month but cold weather is coming and I get nervous. I called dealer and they said warranty was out. Funny thing is I bought a extended warranty. I will not go back to that dealer. I love my car but this scares me and I have told my family if there is a accident make sure you hire a lawyer and find out what happened to make sure that there is nothing we talked wrong. I changed my dealer to Paul Miller Ford in Lexington, Kentucky. I am taking care of 9 people at this time and a $2000 fix which I should have been told should e against The LAW. We need a lot of changes in the car Industry. In fact our hole foverment. Everybody is mad and that is both republican a d democrates and........well everybody.

- cellixii , Lexington, KY, USA

Apr 032016

Fusion SEL

I am extremely disappointed with Ford as my power steering just completely went out while I was driving on Sunday, April 3, 2016. The car was nearly impossible to steer out of the way of traffic and created strain on both my arms, wrist, and heart.

I contacted Ford's customer service line to inform them of the issue and to find out if there was some sort of recall on the vehicle. Turns out there is a recall on the power steering for the 2010 - 2012 Fusion however, Ford informed me that there was no such recall on my vehicle as my VIN number didn't come up in their system as having a recall on the power steering.

I was furious at this and argue back and forth with the rep as well as her manager over the phone. So, I decided to take the car to a local Ford dealership to have them assess the issue. Ford charged me a diagnostic fee of $119. I received a call from the service rep stating that the total repair cost on my 2012 Ford Fusion would be over $2,360.

I feel as though this is absolutely absurd and Ford should take full responsibility and go ahead and repair the issue without me having to pay out anything out of pocket for the simple fact that my car only has 40,000 miles. I don't think that I would ever purchase another Ford vehicle again as they do not stand behind their products and, they don't seem to care if a consumer is insured or killed because of faulty power steering gear assembly parts.

- bryanpr240, Katy, TX, US

Jun 102015

Fusion U U

My father bought a 2012 Ford Fusion on 6/8/2015 from dgdg. I searched the web and found out that that model had a power steering problem that could result in impaired steering including a loss of control and potentially increasing the risk of a crash. People over the internet replied that they had their car fixed and it happened again. One internet complaint was that the problem happened after the warranty expired. They did not recall this car.Why not? Thanks to the lemon law in california, dgdg.com took the car back 3 days later. People buy cars fast. I must be careful when buying a car.

- Cynthia R., los gatos, CA, USA

Aug 282015

Fusion V6

My car went from driving great to useless. I did not & was not having problems with my power steering and then all of a sudden the steering felt weird, was getting tougher to turn. Then by the time I reached my destination its not driveable. I then find out about a recall with 2012 Fusions. Call Ford customer service then transferred to customer relations and both tell me my car does not fall in that category....WTH I want to know why when clearly it says 2012 Ford Fusions have a recall out not "CERTAIN" Ford Fusion!!! For a issue to happen like this all of a sudden, attention needs to be addressed towards this issue!!!!!

- Jamie L., Petersburg, TX, USA

Apr 302015

Fusion SEL

This should be recalled. No power steering. It is only 3 years old. I see a lot of complaints on this same problem. I do not feel safe in it anymore. Ford needs to recall this problem.

- Trudy M., Deer Park, TX, USA

Apr 132015

Fusion SLE 2.4L

This is a TRW electric steering gear that appears to have fail when curbed. It would be nice if the motor only was available for replacement.

There are rebuilt units available with a longer warranty than Ford.

Update from May 29, 2015: To repair the car I bought a used power steering unit off Ebay and removed the motor. I unhooked the battery, unplugged the wires and removed the motor from the steering unit in the car and put the used motor on. Reconnected the wires and battery terminal. Parts about $200.00 and about two hours labor. Steering works fine.

- Ed D., Tenino, WA, USA

Jun 012014

Fusion SE

This car steering just locked up on my wife, we had to man-handle the steering wheel for weeks just to get around. Its not everybody has thousands of dollars saved. And to hear Ford say its not covered... I am so disgusted with them. That thing costs. We had to replace the whole steering column.

- constantine52, Smyrna, GA, USA

Jan 312015

Fusion SE 2.5L

I was driving to an event with my children in the vehicle, when the power steering went out. It was hard to turn and I had to take precautions to make sure me and my family made it back home safely.

- Kametria S., Flowery Branch, GA, USA