CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Aug 222012

Fusion 4-cyl

Front windows and moon roof have spontaneously opened on two consecutive days after the vehicle has been shutoff, locked, and vacated. This problem can allow unauthorized access to the vehicle and exposure to the elements potentially damaging the interior.

- Bowling Green , OH, USA

Apr 192012

Fusion

I went to my car one rainy morning to discover the front windows were down and the moon roof was open, and the seats and floor were soaking wet. I filed a police report thinking it was vandalism. The open windows and moon roof occurred again this past weekend and between google and the owners manual, found out this is a "feature" that happens if the unlock key is depressed for a short time, as can happen when the key is in your pocket. This could give anybody access to the garage door opener which would put my family and house at risk, as well as the contents of the vehicle. This feature was not disclosed when I purchased the vehicle and it can only be disabled by the dealer.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Jan 022012

Fusion 4-cyl

On January 2nd, 2012 on 2-separate occasions the engine accelerated to almost 6000 RPM while I was stopped or nearly stopped while parking the car. The car was in drive and I had my right foot on the brake but the engine acceleration happened very quickly and on the second incident the brakes were not holding the car. I was able to get the trans into neutral until the acceleration died down to the normal RPM. On the second occasion I shut the ignition off 2-times before the acceleration stopped. I have had this problem with prior cars and the manufacturers have had no system in place to diagnose the problem and because it is a random event it is almost impossible to replicate. Because of litigation in accident cases I believe the manufacturers are in denial of this electrical problem.

- Bonita, CA, USA

Dec 252011

Fusion

Driving on the freeway in torrance ca at 65 mph when the car began to buck and jerk and slowed to about 30 mph. It would not take any more power or acceleration. I was in the right lane and was able to exit and park and I then noted the temp gauge showed hot although the engine did not appear hot. Had it towed to dealer who diagnosed the problem as a faulty temp sensor that showed the engine was overheating and causig the engine to go into the partial shut-down mode. This has happened often enough that Ford has a service bulletin out on the problem, but no recall. This could have been a disaster if I had still been in the left or diamond lane so there should be a manufacturer recall to have these parts checked out. Apparently some are corroded.

- Bonita, CA, USA