Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Aug 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

I started my car as normal and shifted into drive. After I had started driving my vehicle had began to shake & the accelerator would not work. I turned the engine off and waiting a few moments and turned back on and the exact same thing happened again. The third time I started the vehicle the check engine light and service wrench were lit on the dash. The third time I turned on the vehicle it was able to drive with what felt like limited power. The check engine code pulled from the cars computer ready P2111. The car was taken to the closest Ford dealer and was diagnosed. I needed to replace the "throttle body" & have all of my "fuel injectors" cleaned. When I asked Ford what the cause of this issue was they said, "its because of the places you pump gas like walmart because they are always changing who they purchase fuel from and its not a good quality." (seriously) they recommend getting gas from racetrac or qt instead of walmart. The repairs are to cost $830 parts/labor. After alot of research on this matter I have seen that alot of people are having the same issues with their vehicles & alot of them are traveling at a high rate of speed (freeway driving). This situation needs to be resolved asap before its takes a innocent life. Ford needs to accept responsibility for this problem.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Aug 142013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was traveling on interstate10 westbound at 65-70mph and my car slowly descended speed as I accelerated! cars behind me became dangerously close to my bumper! I then turned on my hazard lights and pulled over to the right shoulder and called roadside assistance. Thank god I was not hit by an 18 wheeler! the Ford dealership, where I purchased the car in March of 2013, said it was due to a bad 'throttle body unit.' I asked how long was it bad bc I just bought the car 5 months ago! the rep said he didn't know but now the throttle body is out! I had to pay the daily 'taxes' on the rental car the dealership gave me although I didn't think that was fair bc it was their fault that part went bad and it was covered under my certified pre-owned warranty! I had a $100 deductible warranty/policy.

- Katy, TX, USA

Aug 022013

On 8/2/2013 I was stopped at a stop light. When the light turned green I attempted to accelerate and was unable to. My car crept along and I was able to get through the intersection to pull over at the side of the street where my car then shut off. I attempted to start it again to no avail. I contacted roadside assistance who towed it to the dealership who then informed me they had to replace the throttle body. On 8/11/2013, I again was stopped at a stop light. As I began to accelerate, my dash dinged to inform me that I had power steering failure. I was able to pull into a restaurant parking lot to get out of traffic. My husband was able to drive my vehicle the 4 blocks to the dealership who has informed me they have to replace the steering gear and I will now be with out my vehicle for a week. I am extremely frustrated as I've had my 2012 Fusion for 1 year in March 2013 which is currently at 10K miles and now 2 major parts have had to be replaced within a week of each other.

- Omaha , NE, USA

Aug 082013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving 50 mph, the vehicle idled while in drive. The contact depressed the accelerator pedal but the vehicle would not increase speed. The vehicle was repaired and was diagnosed as an electric throttle body failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The failure and current mileage was 45,926. Updated 11/29/13

- Chestrfield , VA, USA

Jul 242013

Fusion 6-cyl

Last Wednesday, 7/24/13, I was on the interstate coming home from work in the far left hand lane when my engine shut off and put me in a really bad situation. I had to cross multiple lanes of traffic, while not being able to accelerate, to get to get back to the shoulder. The car seemed to being working fine, but when I hit the gas there was no response. The lights, gauges, and radio still worked and a wrench light came on. I was nearly rear ended twice and barely made it to the shoulder. Today, 7/30/13, on my way to work the same thing happened. Thankfully this time I was not on the interstate, but rather on a busy city street, and was able to quickly and safely get out of the way.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Oct 012012

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph and depressing the brake pedal, the engine rpms increased as the vehicle suddenly accelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but the technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Norwood, NJ, USA

Jan 132013

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that there was a reduction in acceleration power when engaging the accelerator pedal. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to detect a trouble code. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 3,900. The VIN was unavailable.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Apr 202013

My 2012 Ford Fusion gas peddle accel got stuck full throttle, therefore my brakes were not working properly to stop the vehicle, backing out of a parking spot and back rammed into neighbors wall with structure damage and totaling my vehicle.

- Irvine, CA, USA

May 152012

Fusion 4-cyl

While traveling their is a lack of power, hesitation or surging... very sporadically... but always after a long stop.

- Davie, FL, USA

Mar 132013

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that immediately after parking, the vehicle accelerated independently, traveled over a concrete parking chock and crashed into a restaurant. The contact was not injured. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 20,000.

- Beersheba Springs, TN, USA

Oct 062012

We were driving on the highway at approximately 40mph when the car lost power and began to shake. We were fortunate to be able to pull off on the shoulder out of traffic and turn off the motor. After waiting approximately 15 minutes, we were able to restart the car and drive safely to a reliable automotive shop we have used for over 20 years. Finally after a week of testing, they were able to replicate the problem we had experienced.they replaced the alternator, at our considerable expense, and we brought the car home more than a week later. We drove the car without incident until Tuesday, october16th when the same problem happened again. This time at about 30mph. Again, after waiting 10-15 minutes, the car started again and was driven safely to the automotive repair shop where it remains 5days later. This is a great inconvenience since we live in an area where a car is a necessity but it is also a serious safety hazard since this problem could easily happen when accelerating into traffic or on a busy multilane, high speed highway. From reading this site, we have become aware that there are many complaints of this nature for this make and model year and we question why there has been no recall or, at very least, a consumer alert.

- Kingsville, MD, USA

Oct 122011

Fusion 4-cyl

Since Sept. 1, 2011 when I took ownership of the car I have had the following happen about once a month. The last time was on July 26, 2012 at 3171 miles. When coming to a stop for a light or slowing traffic and applying the brakes the engine starts to race and the car feels like it wants to surge forward. With continued pressure on the brakes, after a few seconds the engine racing and surging stops and the car stops. I think it may be a problem with a computer. Updated IVOQ 09/26/12

- Plainview, NY, USA

Jan 232012

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while attempting to drive into the flow of traffic, she engaged the accelerator pedal and the vehicle did not accelerate, putting her in substantial danger on the freeway. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis, but the contact was informed that they could not find a defect. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were 8,000.

- Eureka, CA, USA

Feb 132012

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving 60 mph when the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted after the failure and the throttle light illuminated after the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the dealer confirmed that the throttle needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 39,000 and the current mileage was 44,000. Updated 05/31/12

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Oct 052011

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving 5 mph when the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning and crashed. The contact applied the brakes but the vehicle would not slow down or stop. The air bags did not deploy. There were no injuries. The contact called the manufacturer regarding the sudden acceleration and the manufacturer advised that they did not have any complaints regarding the sudden acceleration on file. The manufacturer then suggested that the all weather floor mats were the cause of the sudden acceleration failure. The contact stated the vehicle did not have all weather floor mats. The contact did not feel safe operating the vehicle. The failure mileage was 1,000.

- Bourg, LA, USA