CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 292016

Fusion

My 2012 Ford Fusion with 36K miles loses acceleration and idles rough until it is shut off and re-started. A wrench symbol is displayed when this happens. No check engine light is displayed. Does not matter at what speed. Very dangerous when on interstate hwy. A car that loses power in 2016? unacceptable, unforgettable and unforgiving.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 122016

Fusion

While driving on a city street car stalls and shake this happened four times within two months, had it diagnosed at a local shop no code reading was discover.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Jul 152016

Fusion

July 15,2016 my 2012 Ford Fusion, with 30,212 miles jerked and stalled. Had to coast to the side of the road. To restart and the wrench light came on. Took to dealer on July 18 was told it sounded like the emission throttle but have to run test I need to pay $115 that would go toward the repair have a extended warranty but she states it's on me.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Oct 182015

Fusion

I purchased a used 2012 Ford Fusion with 30K miles on it in 2015. While driving on the freeway at 70mph the vehicle lost all power causing me to almost crash. The throttle body was diagnosed as the issue and was supposedly fixed under Ford customer satisfaction 13N03. Fast forward to July 15th, 2016 and the same thing happened while on the freeway. My car is now sitting at my local Ford dealership and either the dealership isn't fixing the car correctly or Ford has more issues they are hiding.

- Holtville, CA, USA

Jan 252016

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While the vehicle was at a complete stop with the brake pedal depressed, the rpms rapidly increased and the vehicle attempted to move forward without warning. The contact shifted the vehicle into neutral and the rpms continued to increase. The contact powered the vehicle off, which powered the engine off. The contact let the vehicle sit for a couple of minutes, restarted the vehicle, and it resumed normal operation. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000. Updated 03/18/16 updated 03/22/16.

- Hanover Park, IL, USA

Nov 302015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While attempting to accelerate from a stop light, the vehicle jerked and sounded as if it would stall. The vehicle suddenly accelerated and was taken to a local dealer, but no failures could be found. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred the contact to NHTSA to file a complaint. The failure mileage was 25,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Mustang, OK, USA

Sep 142015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated to approximately 5 mph, the wrench warning indicator illuminated. The contact merged off the road, turned off and restarted the vehicle, and drove to the dealer. The dealer stated that the throttle body had to be replaced because it was damaged. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 032013

Fusion

I have had numerous problems with stalling, loss of acceleration, dying with my Fusion. It hesitates when driving and stalls when driving and stopped. The wrench and engine light are on again. I am very concerned for my safety due to these issues as there is never any warning of when it's going to occur. I have previously had my throttle body repaired/replaced but the same problems continue.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

May 112015

Fusion

While I was driving on the highway my car stalled out. I was able to pullover on the side of the road. The car started like jerking. The wrench light came on as well as the engine light. It started right back up. It stopped for awhile, but it's been doing it more often now.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Dec 142012

Fusion

Driving one day had just took off so wasn't going that fast an was approaching a turn and found out that I had to hold the steering wheel real tight because I could not turn the car.tried to get my car fixed as a matter of fact I did take it to a Ford dealership and got charged for something that I thought was going to take care of the problem but didn't the problem came back. My car is still saying get power steering rack advance trac serviced. Tried 3 times to fix but nothing seems to work, I need your help !

- Allen Park, MI, USA

Aug 152014

Fusion 4-cyl

Car hesitates on acceleration. Happens intermittently but seems to be more prevalent in the morning when first taking off. Even after the car is warmed up and I stop for a light and then try to take off, it will at times hesitate to the point where I feel like I may get rear-ended.

- Franklin, IN, USA

Apr 142014

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving at low speeds, the engine suddenly accelerated without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000. Updated 1/13/15

- Port Orange , FL, USA

Oct 172014

Fusion 4-cyl

According to the driver, the vehicle was put into reverse backing out of a parking spot, then when the car was put into drive the vehicle would not stop gaining high speeds up to 50mph. The engine rpms were high and the car was "out of control" as the driver had their foot pressed on the brake. The Fusion struck a few parked cars and eventually hit a vehicle head on coming the opposite way in a parking lot. There was one fatality as a result of the crash and other minor injuries from the victims. According to Ford a notice was sent out in January of 2014, field service action number: 13N03, which they offered an extended warranty for the defective part but never explicitly stated a throttle body could stay open causing the vehicle to surge or runaway causing a fatal accident. See also 10649298.

- Perkasie, PA, USA

Oct 172014

Fusion

According to the driver, the vehicle was put into reverse backing out of a parking spot, then when the car was put into drive the vehicle would not stop gaining high speeds up to 50mph. The engine rpms were high and the car was "out of control" as the driver had their foot pressed on the brake. The Fusion struck a few parked cars and eventually hit a vehicle head on coming the opposite way in a parking lot. There was one fatality as a result of the crash and other minor injuries from the victims. According to Ford a notice was sent out in January of 2014, field service action number: 13N03, which they offered an extended warranty for the defective part but never explicitly stated a throttle body could stay open causing the vehicle to surge or runaway causing a fatal accident. See also 10649303.

- Perkasie, PA, USA

Nov 052013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact mentioned the instrument panel warning lights illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 53,000. Updated 12/18/14 the consumer stated when she pressed the accelerated pedal, the vehicle slightly accelerated, and the vehicle would also jerk forward. At times, the vehicle would cut off while driving. Updated 01/07/15

- Durham, NC, USA

Mar 102014

Fusion

Bought a 2012 Ford Fusion brand new from a dealership. First incident occurred within first 2 yrs of ownership while driving 45 mph down an incline - sudden loss of power. It felt as if it lost power steering and thought engine shut off. Dash alarms rang and briefly saw 'power steering fault' light up. Took all my power to pull car off road and to a safe complete stop.turned off ignition. After a few minutes restarted ignition and drove directly to a dealership without further incident. Dealership stated water pump was defective and sent a signal to the engine to shut down. Pump was replaced second incident occurred months later while at a complete stop at a traffic light. Steering wheel suddenly locked, and felt engine power reduce. Dash warning sounded and saw 'power steering fault, service powertrac' light up. Turned ignition off and back on and was able to drive to dealership without further incident. Was told a chip replacement was issued. Replaced chip and was told that would extend the warranty and resolve issue. Continue to have additional incidents (4 to date ) both while moving and at a stand still where the dash warning sounded and felt a reduction or loss of power, each time having to shut off ignition and restart to clear the fault. Dealership continues to attempt to service with no resolve as yet.

- Hayes, VA, USA

Sep 192014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving, the car began to shake and jerk like the engine wanted to die. Then I lost engine power. The car still had power and was on, but there was no throttle when I pushed the gas. The engine light and a little wrench came on. I put it in park, turned it off, restarted it, and it still had no engine throttle to it. But the car had a small amount of power, like I was coasting along, so that I could get through the stop light and make it to the side of the road. Every time I tried the gas pedal though, there was no response; it went to the floor. I was at the light by my neighborhood, right by the train tracks. Thank god I had enough power to get through that!

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Fusion

I was driving on interstate 70 at approximately 65 mph when I suddenly lost all engine power. I was almost hit by a semi traveling behind me because my vehicle had absolutely zero acceleration. The "wrench" light on my car came on at the same time this happened. The semi behind me swerved to miss me and I was able to get my car off to the side of the road. Lights, climate control (A/C), radio, etc. Worked fine. Engine still ran but would not move forward. I turned the car off to call for assistance. Upon seeing if the car would re-start, it did and no "wrench" light appeared. I was able to then get the car to my local Ford dealership, but being a holiday they were closed. I could have been killed when this happened on the interstate with the semi behind me!! sounds like some kind of fuel injector or throttle problem. My vehicle is not even 3 years old and I bought it brand new in Dec. 2011.

- Buckeye Lake, OH, USA

Jun 162014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on a major highway at a set rate of speed the car acted as if it was trying to shift gears and bucked, RPM's went up and then back to normal. It went to the dealer and throttle body was replaced, a week or so afterwards the car started to do the same thing, but this time also in reverse. I took it back to the dealer where they stated that nothing was wrong but they only put 4 miles of a test drive on the car. Last week the Fusion left me on a major highway just shutting down with no warning and I happened to have my 2 year old. I left it sit about 30 minutes and turned over the ignition and it started like normal. I was just thankful to get home without and accident. It's not safe... the car looks great but its like you take your life into your own hands driving it.

- Oxford , PA, USA

Jul 242014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving various speeds, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. When the contact depressed the brake pedal, the vehicle jerked. The contact had to turn off and restart the vehicle in order for it to resume normal operation. The failure occurred numerous times. The dealer stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The part was unavailable and the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA