CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 24)

Dec 312016

Fusion

I was driving on the 15 N at about 70 mph. The steering wheel veered to the left and locked. At this time, the power steering was lost. Took it to the dealer and he said that the rack and pinion was no responding to any input and needed to be replaced.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Dec 292016

Fusion

The electric power steering assist system intermittently shuts down. First, while driving, a series of sensor lights come on. After this, if the engine is shut of and then back on, there it a total loss of power steering. This problem appears to be similar to that in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000. However, my vehicle is not covered by that recall.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Apr 182016

Fusion

April, 2016: I was parked in my drive way with the motor off. When I started the car I could barely turn the steering wheel. I was able to slowly drive it to schultz Ford in nanuet, New York. The problem was that the electronic gearbox had failed. The repair cost $2000. The schultz Ford service manager informed me that certain models of 2012 Fusion were recalled for the problem and they were repaired for free. Unfortunately, my Fusion was not one of those models. I appealed to the regional service manager. She repeated the same information as schultz Ford. She advised me to report the problem to the NHTSA in hope that if enough people complained Ford would issue a recall and reimburse me for this repair at that time. I am confused as to why a problem that arose without warning, and was the subject of a recall notice on a slightly different model, was not treated as a manufacturing defect and repaired for free by Ford Motor Company.

- Park Ridge, NJ, USA

Dec 262016

Fusion

"power steering assist fault" message appeared and steering was locked. Luckily, backing out of driveway.

- Westfield, NJ, USA

Dec 252016

Fusion

The power steering on my 2012 Ford Fusion went out just a few miles after the service light came on for power steering.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Dec 142016

Fusion

My daughters 2012 Ford Fusion power steering went out while driving down the highway. She received a recall letter in November 2016. We took to the local Ford dealer & they said they needed to reprogram the steering and replace the entire steering arm. They said they had sent a recall letter in July 15 which she never received. Now they will not pay for repair because the mileage is 158000. Which is 8000 miles over what they say they have to cover it. It is a safety recall they should fix the problem. The car is only 4 years old.

- Hillsboro, KS, USA

Dec 122016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 30 mph, the service traction indicator illuminated, the service power steering system now indicator illuminated, and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Westland, MI, USA

Nov 262016

Fusion

Our power steering went out a few days ago while we were 5 1/2 hours from home. It was working fine. We stopped in a parking lot, and my husband could tell something happened when he turned the car off. When he turned it back on, the power steering was out. There has been a recall for other Ford cars like ours, but our VIN is not one that was recalled. We had a different item fixed on our car, and it apparently reset the power steering. However, we are not comforted by this. We are worried it will happen again.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Nov 182016

Fusion

This past Friday, I was driving my 2012 Ford Fusion SE on interstate 64 at about 65 miles per hour and my power steering went out without warning. This is extremely dangerous and it appears Ford is aware of the issue, yet no recall on my car. From my research looks like fix is between $1500 and $2000.

- Hillsboro, MO, USA

Oct 122016

Fusion

The power steering of my 2012 Ford Fusion stopped working. The message, " power steering assist default, " appeared in the middle of my steering wheel. I can still drive, but very hard to turn wheel. There is a recall for power steering on 2012 Ford Fusion, but because my VIN number wasn't included in cars recalled, I am not eligible for recall. Same year, make and model, but not VIN number.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Nov 152016

Fusion

I was involved in a rear end accident yesterday while coming off the highway offramp. A soda can was under my brake pedal making it impossible to slow down. I rear ended a vehicle stopped at the light, I was going 35 -40 mph. Both vehicles were totalled and I hit my head on the windshield because the air bags never deployed.

- Pocatello, ID, USA

Nov 122016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel failed and caused the vehicle to sideswipe a curb. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81,000.

- Bentleyville, PA, USA

Nov 232015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving at any speed, the power steering indicator illuminated and the steering wheel locked up. The dealer diagnosed that the power steering gear failed. The power steering gear was replaced; however, the failure recurred multiple times. The dealer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- El Reno, OK, USA

Jul 052016

Fusion

My throttle body is giving me issues. It will hesitate and react as if it will stall on occasion when I am on the highway, it will jerk badly. No engine lights appear on my dash, however I was notified by Ford there is a replacement extended warranty, yet that extension does not cover the initial charge from the dealer to check the throttle body out, which is dead wrong of Ford. I believe they should cover any and all charges regarding this the throttle body. In addition my vehicles rack and pinion or pwer steering sueels alot while in driving, ive check fluid levels and they are normal, yet it will make alot of noise.

- East Chicago, IN, USA

Nov 032016

Fusion

The steering wheel completely locked up. The steering wheel would not move. I was pulling out of school onto highway.

- Shelbiana, KY, USA

Oct 202016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering indicator illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The contact turned on the hazard lights and resumed driving. An independent mechanic diagnosed that the power steering sensor failed and needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 85,000.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Sep 202016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. Whenever the contact reversed the vehicle, the steering wheel would fail the next day. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Oct 012016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. Upon recently owning the vehicle, it was determined that there was internal electrical failure with the wires. The wires burned internally near the vent controls for the air conditioning or heating. The contact noticed that smoke emitted into the vents as the failure progressed. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was also inspected by an independent mechanic. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering), but the contact was not notified by the independent dealer from where the vehicle was purchased. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Del Valle, TX, USA

Oct 082015

Fusion

Was backing out of a parking space in a parking lot and the steering wheel lock while in motion.

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA

Oct 092016

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on the highway, my power steering just stopped, when I looked at the dash it states to check power steering now. When I researched the problem on line there is a recall for this problem on 2012 Fusion but my manufacturer date is a month passed. I notice other Fusion on social forums from 2012 to 2014 having the same issues, I brought my car into Ford and they said its not covered under recall.I called Ford main headquarters and they wont budge. If this wasn't a safety issue, I would not be as concerned, but power steering failure is extremely dangerous.

- Lindenhurst, NY, USA