CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 25)

Jan 162017

Fusion

My power steering went out as I was driving to work, I went to see if there were recalls and called the dealer ship where I purchased my car and they said no recall, even though I found on your sight a recall for (recall # 15V340000) and they said that is all depending on where your car was manufactured. Boy I am completey dumb founded. Please help! car mileage is only 93300

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Jan 052016

Fusion

I was in motion going about 30 mph and my power steering just stopped working. Will not turn back on. Says service advance trac and service power steeering now on message center. Called Ford and they did not honor recall issued for this problem because my car was built on July 28 2012 at the hermosillo plant and the recall was only issued through Feb 28 2012 from hermosillo plant. Same plant ! same car ! I've had no issues with my car until this. Please extend recall dates !

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Jan 052017

Fusion

Driving on city street, warning light came on that said the electronic power steering assist was not working. Making turning the vehicle very difficult and unsafe. Car has 72,000 miles on it. Dealer said there was a recall (15S18) for this very problem but that my Fusion was not part of it. (recall covers cars built between Sep 7, 2010 and Feb 28, 2012) Ford obviously did not fix the problem on these later assembled cars (mine was built May 25, 2012), as this problem continues to happen. Again the dealer wants $2300 to repair.

- Champlin, MN, USA

Jan 072017

Fusion

Was coming home from work when my steering wheel lock up well at least felt that way just was really hard to steer. I ended up hitting a pole due to the fact that I couldn't really control my car. Also I was never notified about this recall at all and could've probably prevented this incident if I was notified about this recall. Now I have no vehicle to drive so now I'm stuck trying to figure out how I'm going to get my daughter to her appointments and how I'm going to go to work and make money to pay bills due to the fact that my car is now sitting on the garage sitting there

- Bagdad, AZ, USA

Jan 062017

Fusion

The electric power steering assist system intermittently shuts down. First, while driving, a series of sensor lights come on. After this, if the engine is shut of and then back on, there it a total loss of power steering. This problem appears to be similar to that in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000. This happened twice and completely shut down

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 032016

Fusion

Unexpectedly lost power steering while driving the car on a city street...noticed when turning the car

- Plano, TX, USA

Dec 312016

Fusion

I was driving on the 15 N at about 70 mph. The steering wheel veered to the left and locked. At this time, the power steering was lost. Took it to the dealer and he said that the rack and pinion was no responding to any input and needed to be replaced.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Dec 292016

Fusion

The electric power steering assist system intermittently shuts down. First, while driving, a series of sensor lights come on. After this, if the engine is shut of and then back on, there it a total loss of power steering. This problem appears to be similar to that in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000. However, my vehicle is not covered by that recall.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Apr 182016

Fusion

April, 2016: I was parked in my drive way with the motor off. When I started the car I could barely turn the steering wheel. I was able to slowly drive it to schultz Ford in nanuet, New York. The problem was that the electronic gearbox had failed. The repair cost $2000. The schultz Ford service manager informed me that certain models of 2012 Fusion were recalled for the problem and they were repaired for free. Unfortunately, my Fusion was not one of those models. I appealed to the regional service manager. She repeated the same information as schultz Ford. She advised me to report the problem to the NHTSA in hope that if enough people complained Ford would issue a recall and reimburse me for this repair at that time. I am confused as to why a problem that arose without warning, and was the subject of a recall notice on a slightly different model, was not treated as a manufacturing defect and repaired for free by Ford Motor Company.

- Park Ridge, NJ, USA

Dec 262016

Fusion

"power steering assist fault" message appeared and steering was locked. Luckily, backing out of driveway.

- Westfield, NJ, USA

Dec 252016

Fusion

The power steering on my 2012 Ford Fusion went out just a few miles after the service light came on for power steering.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Dec 142016

Fusion

My daughters 2012 Ford Fusion power steering went out while driving down the highway. She received a recall letter in November 2016. We took to the local Ford dealer & they said they needed to reprogram the steering and replace the entire steering arm. They said they had sent a recall letter in July 15 which she never received. Now they will not pay for repair because the mileage is 158000. Which is 8000 miles over what they say they have to cover it. It is a safety recall they should fix the problem. The car is only 4 years old.

- Hillsboro, KS, USA

Dec 122016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 30 mph, the service traction indicator illuminated, the service power steering system now indicator illuminated, and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Westland, MI, USA

Nov 262016

Fusion

Our power steering went out a few days ago while we were 5 1/2 hours from home. It was working fine. We stopped in a parking lot, and my husband could tell something happened when he turned the car off. When he turned it back on, the power steering was out. There has been a recall for other Ford cars like ours, but our VIN is not one that was recalled. We had a different item fixed on our car, and it apparently reset the power steering. However, we are not comforted by this. We are worried it will happen again.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Nov 182016

Fusion

This past Friday, I was driving my 2012 Ford Fusion SE on interstate 64 at about 65 miles per hour and my power steering went out without warning. This is extremely dangerous and it appears Ford is aware of the issue, yet no recall on my car. From my research looks like fix is between $1500 and $2000.

- Hillsboro, MO, USA

Oct 122016

Fusion

The power steering of my 2012 Ford Fusion stopped working. The message, " power steering assist default, " appeared in the middle of my steering wheel. I can still drive, but very hard to turn wheel. There is a recall for power steering on 2012 Ford Fusion, but because my VIN number wasn't included in cars recalled, I am not eligible for recall. Same year, make and model, but not VIN number.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Nov 152016

Fusion

I was involved in a rear end accident yesterday while coming off the highway offramp. A soda can was under my brake pedal making it impossible to slow down. I rear ended a vehicle stopped at the light, I was going 35 -40 mph. Both vehicles were totalled and I hit my head on the windshield because the air bags never deployed.

- Pocatello, ID, USA

Nov 122016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel failed and caused the vehicle to sideswipe a curb. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81,000.

- Bentleyville, PA, USA

Nov 232015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving at any speed, the power steering indicator illuminated and the steering wheel locked up. The dealer diagnosed that the power steering gear failed. The power steering gear was replaced; however, the failure recurred multiple times. The dealer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- El Reno, OK, USA

Jul 052016

Fusion

My throttle body is giving me issues. It will hesitate and react as if it will stall on occasion when I am on the highway, it will jerk badly. No engine lights appear on my dash, however I was notified by Ford there is a replacement extended warranty, yet that extension does not cover the initial charge from the dealer to check the throttle body out, which is dead wrong of Ford. I believe they should cover any and all charges regarding this the throttle body. In addition my vehicles rack and pinion or pwer steering sueels alot while in driving, ive check fluid levels and they are normal, yet it will make alot of noise.

- East Chicago, IN, USA